UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 29th Dec 2023, 5:19 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default BVWS Biggleswade Meet & AGM Sunday February 25th

The Spring 2024 BVWS Biggleswade Meet & AGM is on February 25th. Note that it's a couple of weeks' earlier than last year to avoid date clashes with other events.

Timings: 0900 for stallholders to setup. 0930 for visitors. AGM in side room from 1200-1300. Hot and cold refreshments available throughout.

Details appeared in the Winter BVWS Bulletin, and are also available via the events pages on the BVWS website: www.bvws.org.uk.

Please note that there is no auction, as it's the AGM as well, but there will be a huge table of bargains from the bulging BVWS auction stores instead.

The Weatherley Centre (SG18 8JH) has off-street parking right by the hall, and and free on-street parking very close by. It is located only a mile from either of the two Biggleswade exit roundabouts on the A1. Train services are excellent (under an hour from London), and the station is a 12 minute walk from the hall.

If you want to book tables, there is a link half way down the front page of the BVWS website to print out a booking form to send with your cheque. I will also take bookings via email and bank transfer if that is easier for you. My email is in the Bulletin.

If you want a specific table location then please book with details as early as possible, and I will do what I can. I normally put repeat bookings in the same place if I can, unless you request otherwise. (The last Biggleswade was a sell-out so please book early to avoid disappointment).

I hope to see lots of you at the Meet in February. Everyone welcome!

all the best

-Jeremy
Old 29th Dec 2023, 11:58 pm   #2
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Biggleswade Meet & AGM Sunday February 25th

Stall holder booking forms via this link: https://www.bvws.org.uk/download/Big...g_Feb_2024.pdf

BVWS committee chairman
audiomagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2024, 10:36 pm   #3
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
I hope to see lots of you at the Meet in February. Everyone welcome!
Everyone or only BVWS members?
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2024, 10:57 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Everyone, members and guests. That’s usual at BVWS events now and is stated on the website events page: https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/diary.php

Only BVWS members can vote in the AGM, and at auction events only members can bid, but there’s no auction at this one so no disadvantage not being a member at this one. I think as a general rule only members can have stalls too but that would be at the discretion of the organiser based on availability.

Of course the hope is that guests will decide to join, and can do so on the day if they wish, but there’s no pressure to do so.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 1st Jan 2024 at 11:00 pm. Reason: Typos
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2024, 11:21 pm   #5
Alvin
Heptode

To avoid confusion can you clarify what you mean by guests? Do you have to be the guest of a named member or is any non member who attends regarded as a guest?

The reason I ask is that a while back a friend went to a meet at Harpenden which was similarly flagged on this forum as everyone welcome but he was greeted by a snarling rottweiler (his description) on the door who snapped at him that he had to be a member or the guest of a paying member........
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2024, 9:55 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As I understand it any non-member is a guest and is welcome. However you may want to wait for Jeremy or Greg to respond officially as I am no longer on the committee.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2024, 10:33 am   #7
Dickie
Octode

When I was on the entrance desk at the last Biggleswade we didn't differentiate between members, guests, or Joe Public. Indeed, we admitted one couple who got the date wrong and were expecting an antiques fair. They were very surprised and got a refund!

Richard, BVWS member

Last edited by Dickie; 2nd Jan 2024 at 10:35 am. Reason: typo.
Dickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2024, 11:52 am   #8
Pamphonica
Nonode

All welcome. No need to be a guest of a member. Members showing a membership card do get a free tea/coffee voucher, though! If anyone does want to join on the day, just speak to our treasurer.
As for stall bookings, we accept applications from non-members as long as the wares being sold are relevant. This often happens with estate sales.
Looking forward to seeing a good crowd again at Biggleswade.
-Jeremy
Old 4th Feb 2024, 6:29 pm   #9
Pamphonica
Nonode

It's only three weeks to the next Biggleswade Meet (Sunday February 25th).
It will be packed with goodies as we are almost sold out (only 5 stalls left currently), so if you do feel like clearing out some of your surplus items, a table is good value at only £10 more than normal entry. Let me know via mail/email/PM asap.
We are all looking forward to seeing a goodly throng at the event. Most Committee members will be there (look for the BVWS lanyards) and can be button-holed either during the event or at the AGM.
Doors open 0930. See you there.
all best
-Jeremy
Old 4th Feb 2024, 6:39 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

Also, please note that due to various issues, the September Biggleswade Meet and Auction will now be on September 29th (not 22nd). The calendar was correct when it went to print but now needs alteration to the new date.
This will also be publicised in the Bulletin, the BVWS website and on posts here closer to the date. Apologies for any inconvenience.
-Jeremy
Old 5th Feb 2024, 3:07 pm   #11
oldgeezer
Pentode

Just wondering... I have a few valves that need to be tested, is there a stall that will be offering this service? I hope to attend regardless but dont want to pack valves unnecessarily.
Thanks
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2024, 7:44 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

I don’t think that anyone does on-demand testing at Biggleswade. But if you do a separate post on UKVRR “repair and restoration services wanted” there may well be someone near you who could test valves for you.
I know that one stall at Audiojumble does valve testing (paid).
If you want to come down to Virginia Water I would be glad to do some testing for you.
-Jeremy
Old 8th Feb 2024, 10:42 pm   #13
oldgeezer
Pentode

Many thanks. I'll post as suggested.
Virginia water is a bit of a trek from St Albans but thankyou for the offer (but if nobody replies.....!)
rgds
Keith G8VMP
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2024, 11:38 pm   #14
slidertogrid
Octode

Maybe the BVWS could offer this service at events? To save someone having to be sat behind a valve tester for the whole event maybe suggest a time limit? Something like from opening time for an hour or as long as there are people waiting or something similar? It would create extra funds for the B&B stall and thereby Museum funds?
I for one would happily pay to have a few valves tested.
Old 9th Feb 2024, 2:34 pm   #15
Pamphonica
Nonode

Interesting suggestion. Maybe someone would like to volunteer to run valve testing at some BVWS events. We already have a team that give up their whole day to help run the event, so would need someone extra.

We should be clear that there is a distinction between B&B/Museum and BVWS. We are separate organisations. BVWS runs the event and takes any overall profit/loss. We always allow the Museum a free B&B stall for fund raising and they usually make quite a few £100s. It's usually very popular.

The first hour tends to be pretty full-on bargain hunting for many people so a later slot might be better. For reference, I think that the valve testing chap at Audiojumble charges £1 a valve. Not really worth it for cheaper radio valves; better possibly to buy good used valves from the various sellers at these events.

I suggest we break out these valve-testing comments from this thread (which is specifically about the next Biggleswade event) at this point and anyone can start another one on this topic in this section (Clubs/groups/societies).

-Jeremy
Old 19th Feb 2024, 10:51 am   #16
Pamphonica
Nonode

Less than a week to go before the Spring BVWS Biggleswade Meet. Doors open at 0930. Open to members and non-members alike. (Only members can vote in the AGM which starts at 1200). Hot food available all day. Satnav is SG18 8JH.

Even more stalls than last time so there will be a packed hall full of lots of goodies. (All stallholders have been sent an email confirming their bookings).

If you can't find parking right by the hall, please park on the road. The other parking spaces on the school grounds are not meant to be used for hall events. (Look out for warning signs). You can always come back to the hall car park at the end to collect your loot!

Looking forward to seeing many of you on Sunday.

-Jeremy
Old 21st Feb 2024, 9:11 pm   #17
STBMaker
Diode

Hello all,

As usual we will be running the Bring & Buy stall for the BVWTM. It'll include commission sales (10% to BVWTM) and we will sell donations you make on the day.

If you have more than 2 or 3 items for commission sale, please would you fill out a form (attached). We will assign a letter on the day. This will be a big help as we are usually quite stretched in the first few hours.

Many thanks and see you on Sunday.

Steve Beck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&B Single Sheet.pdf (62.8 KB, 43 views)
STBMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2024, 9:19 pm   #18
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Would anyone going to this event be passing by Birmingham by any chance and be able to offer a lift in exchange for a donation for the fuel and a cuppa? Would really like to get to this event. I'm 5 mins from M5 J1/J2.

TTFN,
Jon
Duke_Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2024, 4:24 pm   #19
Ian Blackbourn
Triode

Just got back and unloaded the car. A very enjoyable day, grateful thanks to Jeremy and all the others involved for making this such a good experience.
I took enough from my sales to cover costs (including bacon sandwich), but then I couldn't resist a bargain well restored Phillips 834A from the BVWTM table. I've therefore added to rather than reducing my collection - oh dear!

Ian
Ian Blackbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2024, 6:45 pm   #20
Pamphonica
Nonode

I would like to add my own thanks to the superb team of helpers who set up and clear away the show each time and man doors. The team consists of not just many BVWS committee members but also two society members, Richard Page and Stuart Rose, who give up their day to help make this a very pleasant show for all concerned.
Good work team! Without you this event would not happen.
-Jeremy