UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:16 pm   #1
Joey0027
Triode

Default Vintage Wall Clock

Good evening

I wonder whether anyone would be kind enough to assist me with the repair of an old battery wall clock which I am currently attempting. I initially thought that it was going to be a simple case of re-soldering the battery terminals & fitting a battery but unfortunately this has not been the case. It's trying its best to get going & occasionally may run for a few seconds but will struggle & give the impression that the battery is flat which is however brand new. I have stripped it down as shown & can find no mechanical faults with the gearing. I am however not that great when it comes to the circuitry & wonder whether there are any checks I can carry out with a multimeter on the handful of components on the board to identify any possible problems.

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks & kind regards, Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_195112 (1).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	197655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_195317 (1).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	197656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_195347 (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	197657  
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:26 pm   #2
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Wall Clock

If all the joints are good, there isn’t much else to test.
It looks like the magnet is off it’s spindle, is the magnet loose on it? If it is, then it need fixing to it as the magnet may be spinning on the spindle or may be rubbing on the coil stator?
Also make sure there isn’t any sticky oil on the pivots or plate holes, clean and re lube with light clock oil.
Good luck.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:30 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

I'm not a clock expert, but is the pcb around that chip brown, eg overheated? Difficult to tell
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:50 pm   #4
Joey0027
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
If all the joints are good, there isn’t much else to test.
It looks like the magnet is off it’s spindle, is the magnet loose on it? If it is, then it need fixing to it as the magnet may be spinning on the spindle or may be rubbing on the coil stator?
Also make sure there isn’t any sticky oil on the pivots or plate holes, clean and re lube with light clock oil.
Good luck.
Many thanks for your reply Rob, much appreciated.

I see what you are saying, so the small nylon drive should be securely fixed to the centre of the magnet before sliding it on to the spindle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_213934 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	197658  

Last edited by Joey0027; 23rd Jan 2020 at 11:04 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:53 pm   #5
Joey0027
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I'm not a clock expert, but is the pcb around that chip brown, eg overheated? Difficult to tell
Thank you for your reply Kevin, much appreciated.

I think that it is probably the lighting & the shadow from the chip that is giving the appearance of a burnt board but I will double check this.

Thanks again.

Steve.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:08 pm   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

As an electronics guy rather than a horologist, I’ve had success lubricating clock bearings (pivots) with Servisol switch cleaner. Just as it does on switches, it seems to remove old contamination and leave behind a protective film of low friction lubricant.

Always best to check beforehand with plastic components though that the Servisol isn’t going to dissolve anything.

Martin
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:41 pm   #7
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey0027 View Post
Many thanks for your reply Rob, much appreciated.

I see what you are saying, so the small nylon drive should be securely fixed to the centre of the magnet before sliding it on to the spindle?
Hi, that’s correct, a very small amount of adhesive is all that is needed to secure the magnet to the nylon pinion, it would have been bonded when built, but the adhesive has failed.
Rob
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:49 pm   #8
Joey0027
Triode

That makes perfect sense now, thank you Rob. I am guessing it doesn't matter which way the magnet goes?

I've also just located a tiny nylon washer which I didn't notice when I disassembled, I presume that this goes under the magnet on the spindle in order to reduce friction.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve.

Last edited by Joey0027; 23rd Jan 2020 at 11:57 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:51 pm   #9
Joey0027
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
As an electronics guy rather than a horologist, I’ve had success lubricating clock bearings (pivots) with Servisol switch cleaner. Just as it does on switches, it seems to remove old contamination and leave behind a protective film of low friction lubricant.

Always best to check beforehand with plastic components though that the Servisol isn’t going to dissolve anything.

Martin
Thank you for the tip Martin, much appreciated.

Steve.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 3:32 am   #10
Joey0027
Triode

All sorted & running perfectly again.

Many thanks for all of the comments & massive thank you to Rob for spotting the problem straight away.

Best regards, Steve.
Old 24th Jan 2020, 7:45 am   #11
Robsradio
Heptode

Glad it fixed it Steve
Old 24th Jan 2020, 8:58 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Impressive stuff chaps, well done!
Closed Thread