UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2020, 6:23 pm   #1
regentone001
Heptode

Default Creda Autoclean cooker

I am just wondering if anyone had experience of using one of these cookers. There was a little door on the right hand side of the eye level grill that hid the controls for the automatic cleaning. I believe the oven door was locked shut during the cleaning process.
I remember seeing one in the training centre when I started my apprenticeship with the EMEB but never saw one being used.
Steve
Old 15th Feb 2020, 8:51 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Creda Autoclean cooker

No experience with one of those, but it sounds like what these days is called pyrolitic cleaning. We have had it on the last couple of ovens over the last just over 20 years. On these you have to take out the chrome parts, and set it on cleaning cycle. Like you say the door is locked and the temperature rises to from memory around 500C. Any dirt turns to ash, and once the cycle is complete and the oven is cooled a damp cloth gets rid of the ash. We would never go back to a 'normal' oven even with supposed self cleaning catalytic liners. The only trouble is, when we looked at replacing the current one a few weeks ago, they seem to have become silly money. Luckily the replacement element was sourced for just a few pounds, and cured the problem of tripping the RCD. The previous one failed after a pyrolitic cycle, even when switched off, and givene there were three elements that were hard to source that could have been at fault, plus we were about to update from a single to double oven meant it's demise. Wouldn't have been keen on replacing six elements on this oven, but I at least knew only one element was in use when it failed, so worth the £13 fix.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 10:48 pm   #3
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: Creda Autoclean cooker

Hi Steve. My Mum had one of these back in the early 70's.
I can still remember the hot smell when it was cleaning. It would make your eyes sting a bit as the fumes came out of the chimney at the back of the hob.
There was a lock above the oven door which you had to slide before starting it and there was a traffic light system at the back just above the hob to show progress.
It took quite a while to clean but was considered very clever and labour saving at the time.

Here is a picture I cut from a catalogue when I was young for my scrap book.

Edit: Doing a quick search suggests it was available from 1967 so could have been bought earlier than I thought.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549 (2).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	199049  

Last edited by teetoon; 15th Feb 2020 at 11:02 pm.
Closed Thread