UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 12:37 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Dial Cord Question

I restrung my first dial cord last night (Bush SRG86) and have a few questions.

How tight should the string be?

What I have done works fine, and while I can't visibly see any slack as such, it certainly could be tighter.

I noticed after aligning the indicator on the string, if I align to the dots on the right (as manual states), when I turn the dial to the other extremity it's a little too far to the left. I'm imagining this is caused by a small amount of slack in the cord.

Aside from this it seems to work fine and does not appear to slip on barrel of the tuning dial.

I have some more dial string, so I can re-do it. Unfortunately the piece I used last night I dropped some superglue on the knots, so tightening it as it is will be tricky if acetone doesn't allow me to unknot one side of it.

I'm tempted to leave as it is, but the then the perfectionist in me doesn't feel right about it. Views much appreciated
Old 11th Apr 2018, 12:52 pm   #2
kevinb
Pentode

Default Re: Dial Cord Question

I would suggest the dial cord should be taught but not tight, the pressure of the spring should be enough, if it works its fine, its a bit trial and error
Old 11th Apr 2018, 1:00 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

The dial cord should have the right tension if the springs are stretched by the right amount. You should be able to judge that from the diagram below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRG86.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	160920  
Old 11th Apr 2018, 2:38 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

The trouble with this chassis is it looked the same before and after, in that the springs seemed to be resting on the centre plastic bit and not really doing much tension wise. That said the cord was frayed when I got it, perhaps this dropped the tension before it went.

I'll compare my pictures again tonight, if it's different I'll have to try and remove one of the links and apply more tension
Old 11th Apr 2018, 3:45 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

I usually make sure the spring has extended about 50%, it can be tricky to get it right but with some perseverance you will succeed.
Cheers
John
Old 11th Apr 2018, 3:46 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Not sure what you mean to far to the left, is it a problem, running off its guide, if aligned as per manual I would leave it, are the stations in the correct place on the dial, also sometimes you can tighten the cord by losing a bit on the pointer/cursor.

Mick.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 8:26 pm   #7
PsychMan
Octode

On the left side there are also dots, and you might expect they would also line up with dial indicator

I had a look at some of my earlier pictures and I see exactly what you mean about spring tension. My job had next to none on it. I had enough string to redo so I’ve done that tonight and it’s nice and taught now, really pleased with it, job's a good un. The dial still doesn’t line up with the left dots but oh well, I’ve aligned that as per the manual, probably just a quirk of this model.

I’ll keep the first bit of cord, I’m sure it will fit a smaller radio. Incidentally I bought the cord NOS from a chap on eBay and it’s excellent “as new” condition, and looks identical to the original stuff in composition
Closed Thread