UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2019, 10:22 am   #1
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Default A forgotten format

My son found this Youtube video about the DC International format which I had never heard of despite being in the repair industry for over 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT3_cS1KNYc

Don't forget to watch all the credits for pictures of many more unheard of formats as well.

A very interesting video.

Mike.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:06 am   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: A forgotten format

I don't even need to click the link to know that's one of my subscriptions, Techmoan... haha. He does some interesting videos on obscure AV technology.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:45 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

We've had few threads about this standard, the search box above will find them: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132116
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:51 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-repairman View Post
the DC International format which I had never heard of despite being in the repair industry for over 40 years.
Well, it did come and go in a year or so - I think there was only a Telefunken portable which reached the British market.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 1:22 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

KJ enterprises were still selling the DC cassettes in 1970, but they were not in the 1971 catalogue.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 2:18 pm   #6
Reelman
Octode

Probably the most popular version in this country was the Grundig C100(L). They occasionally turn up but coming late to market I don’t suppose that many were sold. Philips Compact Cassette was already getting established by the time DC Int was released. Here’s mine, a heavy well made device. I would love to have the in-car version but have never seen one in the flesh.

Very few different models were produced as both Telefunken and Grundig must have soon realised they were on a hiding to nothing and stopped production. As mentioned the cassettes themselves were available until the 70s, Grundig had them on their price list in 1971.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F75CA04F-D602-4B46-A962-CE8F30B13468.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	180517  
Old 28th Mar 2019, 2:51 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: A forgotten format

I thought that the video was well-presented: succinct, relevant and informative. Thanks for sending the link.

Al.
Old 28th Mar 2019, 6:43 pm   #8
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
I thought that the video was well-presented: succinct, relevant and informative. Thanks for sending the link. Al.
Yes it was very well presented, look forward to seeing some of his other videos when I get the time. Wonder where he gets all those obscure units?

Mike.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 6:27 am   #9
camtechman
Nonode

emeritus

Back in the 70's a DC120 cassette tape cost ?? 35 Shillings & Sixpence !...….see pic below (from my Grundig DC tape stock)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC 120.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	180588  

Last edited by camtechman; 30th Mar 2019 at 6:41 am.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 6:54 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

From memory, Philips C120 compact cassettes ( not "low noise") cost about that (£1/13/6d?) in 1969. By 1971 the list price of the low noise version was £1.49, but KJ were discounting them at only £1.04 cash price.

Last edited by emeritus; 30th Mar 2019 at 7:18 pm.
Closed Thread