UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2015, 10:33 am   #1
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 210 tuner fault?

Hi Everyone
I have a 23" single standard 210 chassis. The set worked perfectly when I first got it with no work required. The tuner seemed stable no issues.
All of a sudden I lost the signal and connot tune into anything on all buttons.
However I have an old cross hatch generator which normally works at the lower end on the band. The set does pick up a very weak snowy picture from the cross hatch on the top BBC1 button only nearly right at the top of the range?
I have checked the resistors which all show correct values on the tuner. There is a diode on the tuner. It reads one way and not the other so would have thought thats ok too.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for next?
Many Thanks
Ade
Old 27th Aug 2015, 11:10 am   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Phillps 210 tuner fault?

If the tuner uses BF180/BF181 transistors they could be faulty. I have known them give this problem on other UHF tuners of that era. Check supply volts, Malc.
Old 27th Aug 2015, 12:10 pm   #3
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Malc

Will check the suppy and transistors to the tuner. Does anyone know where I can find the Philips 210 service manual?

Is it listed on the DVD on the forum to be downloaded, does anyone know?

Thanks,

Ade
Old 27th Aug 2015, 3:00 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

If its a varicap tuner the tuning voltage could be missing/incorrect.

Peter
Old 27th Aug 2015, 3:37 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Philips fitted two types of tuner in this chassis. Originally, it used Germanium transistors (with a small "AGC translator" PCB fitted on it) and later, Silicon types. Therefore, they are not the same.

I think the original Philips full service manual only covered the Germanium type, but a supplement was published later to cover the Silicon version. Philips (CES - Combined Electronic Services) also published a service manual for the UV1 integrated tuner (germanium transistors): CES756 Nov 69.

The original Philips 210 chassis manual is for models: G19T210A, G19T211A, G23T210A & G23T211A, ref. CES670, March 68.

The fact your set uses a 23" rather than a 24" CRT is likely to indicate the tuner fitted is a Germanium type.

If my memory is correct, there was a (red print?) warning label fitted to the original Germanium tuner, advising that the tuner chassis was not at the same potential as the main chassis was.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 27th Aug 2015, 3:38 pm   #6
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Peter. Will get hold of a service manual if i can and check it out
Old 27th Aug 2015, 3:39 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
If its a varicap tuner the tuning voltage could be missing/incorrect.
The Philips 210 chassis never used a varicap tuner. That only appeared in their 320 all solid state UK designed and made chassis.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 27th Aug 2015, 5:23 pm   #8
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dazzlevision
Old 27th Aug 2015, 5:27 pm   #9
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Dazzlevision
The set is the later type it has a date on the tube 1971. The tuner is a four selector single standard tuner with only a few resistors and one doide on the tuner assembly tag. There are no transistors on the tuner itself.
Thanks
Ade
Old 27th Aug 2015, 5:56 pm   #10
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello Ade,

In that case, I think your set is a 300 chassis UHF/625 single standard model, rather than a 210 chassis (which is dual standard - 405/625). In addition, the tube will be a 24" type (A61-120W/R) and not a 23". The 210 and 300 chassis are hybrid - a mixture of valve and transistor circuitry. The 300 will not have a long "lifer type" of 405-625 system switch fitted on the large printed circuit panel at the bottom of the main chassis.

The 300 chassis UHF only tuner will have two Silicon transistors in it: BF180 (RF amp) and BF181 (mixer/oscillator).

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 28th Aug 2015, 6:09 pm   #11
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips 210 tuner fault?

Hi Dazzlevision
I never knew any of that thought they were all 210 chassis. Yes my mistake you are correct with the tube number and the two transistors i can see on the board not far from the tuner plug. might try testing these first
Thanks for the info
Ade
Old 28th Aug 2015, 6:57 pm   #12
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Be very careful when you remove the two transistors inside the UHF tuner. The positioning and lengths of their lead outs is critical and if changed can affect the tuner's alignment.

In addition, use a low wattage iron when desoldering, especially for the lead(s) that are soldered to the uninsulated small circular disc ceramic capacitors that have the other side soldered directly to the tuners "chassis".

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 29th Aug 2015, 6:41 pm   #13
acottrell
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dazzlevision
Yes will be careful with lead lenghs and heat. I have ordered both of them will let you know how it goes
thanks for your help again
Closed Thread