UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2019, 7:45 pm   #21
coopzone
Pentode

Default Re: Best place to get PP9s?

This is the one i got https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/eveready...ngle/p/5190940

Derek
Old 7th Jul 2019, 8:23 pm   #22
Panrock
Octode

The going rate seems to be 4. That's equivalent to around 4 bob (shillings) in 1960s money. Is this what they used to cost?
Old 7th Jul 2019, 8:29 pm   #23
nicam49
Pentode

Well, I recall PP3s costing half a crown
Old 7th Jul 2019, 9:15 pm   #24
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Our local Homebase DIY store sells them. I think they were around the 4 mark a few months ago when I got a couple.
Alan.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 9:49 pm   #25
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
The going rate seems to be 4. That's equivalent to around 4 bob (shillings) in 1960s money. Is this what they used to cost?
Fallible memory tells me they were 3s 9d. Maybe I would remember that, as the price may well have stayed the same from when I first bought one in 1968/9 to the subversion of the currency a couple of years later. A B136 could be had for a quid (or more probably 19s 11d?), I do remember somehow raking that together at age 9 for a battery to put in my two bob Sky Queen.

Not sure where my next PP9s will come from, but the last ones, Panasonics, were from the electrical stall in Durham's covered market, 2.99 apiece or was it 3.49?, a few months ago. Similar outlets elsewhere might be worth checking.

Paul
Old 7th Jul 2019, 10:08 pm   #26
Tractionist
Heptode

Hi Steve,

I re-stuff the 'Every-Ready Silvers' from Wilco [when expired!] with six compartment AA units bought on-line and currently use JCB re-chargeables' [purchased from Home Bargains] .... which seem to be excellent.

All seem to give lengthy service in-between re-charges in my various Normende's, TR82's etc. etc.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 1:58 am   #27
Boulevardier
Heptode

"Fallible memory tells me they were 3s 9d".

Yes, that's what my own very fallible memory was telling me too before you posted. I remember that PP3s cost 2/6d at the time - a whole week's pocket money for a week's Radio Luxembourg. But, we were happy!

Mike
Old 8th Jul 2019, 10:09 am   #28
DonaldStott
Octode

Just got an EVER READY Silver 9V PP9 Battery from CPC - 3.55 ex. VAT

https://cpc.farnell.com/ever-ready/6...P=TREML007-003

Tried fitting this in my Roberts R303 but it seems slightly too big - scrapes against the two bolts at the top of the battery compartment!

What am I doing wrong??
Old 8th Jul 2019, 1:29 pm   #29
Paul_RK
Nonode

PP9s have grown a bit over the years. I've found Hacker Democrats are generally the worst sets for getting batteries into and out of, indeed many years ago I bought one that had a large thumb-sized hole in its 'speaker cone plainly occasioned by someone at a loss for how to extract one of its PP9s.

Paul
Old 8th Jul 2019, 1:49 pm   #30
Panrock
Octode

Capacity "4.5 AH". I generally keep my Hacker turned well down so (I guess) the consumption might be of the order of 45mA. That equates to 100 hours of listening - or a hell of a lot Radio 3 and Classic FM concerts. Perhaps more appropriate to ask... what's the typical shelf life of these batteries?
Old 8th Jul 2019, 4:42 pm   #31
ajgriff
Octode

Shelf life can vary a lot with storage conditions, quality of manufacture and, of course, how fresh the battery is when purchased. The only thing one can say is that these zinc-carbon PP9s will not keep as well as alkaline batteries and will have a total shelf life of possibly less than half that of alkaline.

Alan
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:36 pm   #32
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
I generally keep my Hacker turned well down so (I guess) the consumption might be of the order of 45mA.
From a hasty experiment with a Sov. II here, consumption is roughly half that for an ordinary domestic output level: 45mA is only reached when the volume control is close to its maximum, at least with the fairly typical Radio 3 programme material I chanced upon.

Paul
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:47 pm   #33
Panrock
Octode

Thanks for that. More like 200 hrs of listening then! My figure was based on the quiescent current of the set, when it's doing nothing, in mind. From memory, this was about 23mA.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 5:47 pm   #34
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
PP9s have grown a bit over the years. I've found Hacker Democrats are generally the worst sets for getting batteries into and out of, indeed many years ago I bought one that had a large thumb-sized hole in its 'speaker cone plainly occasioned by someone at a loss for how to extract one of its PP9s.
Kinda like cakes and potions in "Alice in Wonderland", off-brand PP9s haven't always grown equally in all directions. I remember trying to fit one back into a bit of gear and struggling for some time - then in a moment of enlightenment turned it through 90 degrees and it went straight in!

As they say, "One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small, And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all. Go ask Alice" ---Jefferson Airplane.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 11:35 pm   #35
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
My figure was based on the quiescent current of the set, when it's doing nothing, in mind. From memory, this was about 23mA.
Yes, that seems in the right region - it's 20mA for my RP25 on FM, 15mA AM. Just doesn't rise much at all until the set is quite loud.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:10 am   #36
emeritus
Dekatron

The Ever Ready PP7 batteries for my Bush TR107 used to cost 3/3d in the late 1960's. They used to last around 3months. The blue U2 cells used to cost 8d each.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 1:30 am   #37
Boulevardier
Heptode

"The Ever Ready PP7 batteries for my Bush TR107 used to cost 3/3d in the late 1960's. They used to last around 3months."

I wonder how long they would last in one of today's sets... Nothing like 3 months I'm sure!

Mike
Old 9th Jul 2019, 8:41 am   #38
Paul_RK
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
The Ever Ready PP7 batteries for my Bush TR107 used to cost 3/3d in the late 1960's.
Ah, that's just the figure I'd been thinking of. All this is quite reassuring as to the health of my memory (though what I was doing ten minutes ago isn't nearly so easy to recall ).

For me PP7s back then were chiefly for Hacker Mini-Heralds and an Ever Ready Sky Master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
I wonder how long they would last in one of today's sets... Nothing like 3 months I'm sure!
Power consumption inflation didn't take long to start after the introduction of the transistor. One day I had in front of me service manuals for the early and later versions of Sky Leader and for its replacement the Sky Master, and noted the substantial rise in quoted quiescent consumption from each model to the next, even coinciding with a change from PP9 to PP7 when the Sky Master came along! Beefier output stages were presumably the cause of the upward drift, but I doubt many users would have noticed that improvement, whereas anyone switching from an early Sky Leader to a Sky Master might well have noticed that he was buying the slightly cheaper batteries far more often. I think the quiescent consumption of the early Leader was a mere 6mA.

Paul
Old 9th Jul 2019, 11:25 am   #39
emeritus
Dekatron

Fortunately I did not have to rely on memory. When I was a student I kept a tally of all my expenditure in a diary ( down to the last ha'penny!) so was able to look up the cost and frequency of replacements.The TR104 came top for battery life by a long head in a "Which" test of small transistor radios. The fact that its battery was larger than the competition probably helped! After I dropped it and broke the case, I was able to buy a replacement case from Bush, and the new one had "Long player" on the front panel's aluminium trim.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 11:36 am   #40
Panrock
Octode

I was in the vicinity of Halfords this morning and spotted a couple of Eveready Silvers. I'm too embarrassed to say what I paid but it was today's equivalent of 5/- each!

Steve
Closed Thread