UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Old 31st May 2024, 8:34 am   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Large lot of valves Cheshire

Up for auction today a large array of valves, Whittaker & Biggs easylive, Congleton. (no connection with items).

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cata...amics-lot-755/
Old 31st May 2024, 9:15 am   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Large lot of valves Cheshire

I sometimes wonder whether or not a trader might use general auctions to get rid of duds? Someone who lives not far enough away to be uneconomic to travel to drop them off. After all, you don't **** on your own doorstep as the saying goes!
These days, with likes of ebay it is easy to see possible values of quantities of valves.
Hope this is taken as a possible warning suggestion rather than taking off topic.
Certainly best if examined before bidding, then decide for yourself if they are pre-sorted?
Rob
Old 31st May 2024, 12:20 pm   #3
Chrispy57
Heptode

Hi Rob - it looks like a silent key sale judging by the other lots of test equipment alongside this lot of valves, which were probably a lifetime's collection of acquisitions and pulls from a departed fellow hobbyist, RIP Sir.

Cheers
Chris
Chrispy57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2024, 4:45 pm   #4
paulsherwin

£280 sale, so somebody has obviously decided to take a gamble that there's a few PX4s or similar types in there as well as the usual ARP12/EF50 stuff.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2024, 7:43 pm   #5
Wellertcp
Tetrode

£280 plus fees is a big gamble on what looks like a lot of pulls. And the Pinnacle and CPC boxed valves are probably just TV valves.
Wellertcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2024, 7:52 pm   #6
paulsherwin

With all these valve hoards (including mine) there are normally about 10% that are worth anything at all. Serious dealers will have a VCM which they can use to test anything promising. There's always the possibility of hitting the jackpot.

Presumably they just chuck all the PCF80s etc. in the WEEE bin.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2024, 10:00 pm   #7
factory
Octode

Or they put the low value items back into a lot and send them back to the auction house, to get something back, instead of nothing in the bin, or paying to dispose of them.

David
factory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2024, 2:13 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

You just don't know as a punter. All of the above happen. Silent keys may have diligently tested the valves in their hoards or they may just have simply kept every pull. Any new valves being bought as needed and straight out the door.

As a general rule, never bid so much that you could likely be disappointed. Which means that you will win few auction lots.

David
Old 1st Jun 2024, 8:39 am   #9
GrimJosef
Dekatron

A few years ago I attended a local general auction which incuded several lots from a silent key source (the auctioneers had been invited round to the premises to look at some low-value furniture and persuaded the family to retrieve the old electronics, including valves, from the skip they'd dumped them in !).

I bid on one box of valves but was outbid by someone else in the room. As we were leaving I wished him good luck with his win. "Oh", he said, "they're not for me. I came to bid on some militaria which is what I deal in. But I have a friend who says if I ever see any boxes of valves, particularly if they're dusty and look like they haven't been touched in years, then I should risk a few hundred quid and buy them for him. I've no idea what's actually in there.". "A lot of pulls." I replied.

So there are clearly people out there who are a good deal less risk-averse than most of us, I imagine, would be.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st Jun 2024, 5:39 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

You've only got to look at the prices that certain valves fetch on ebay (specifically). I'm sure we all know the type numbers, and not just the pee ex variety but particularly those double triodes found in preamp stages of guitar amplifiers. There are a pair of mullard NOS at £350/pair right now. How much luck does a dealer need on a lot of valves before he's quids in?