UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 5th Jun 2024, 8:21 am   #61
Chorinite
Tetrode

Default Re: Losing interest in Vintage Radios etc. Where to go from here?

Give 6070 khz a go, mostly music but some talk as well.
Chorinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2024, 10:00 am   #62
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by music-centre View Post
Also, personally I wouldnt get rid of AM only sets, much as I miss the stations that I could once receive on them, just for that reason if I find them a nice display item and example of good engineering...
Well, William Morris said something very like "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful", but for myself I'd add "...or find to be interesting", which justifies, here a group of 1950s American SW transistor portables, there a colony of Fidelity sets (Floret-Fulmar-199-199A, 208-Fairline-208A-Rad11-Rad11B-Rad14) showing their sometimes very strange design evolution, over there an honest-to-goodness Murphy A3 table model facing a contemporary Psychon designed by the founder of the Fairy Investigation Society and optimised for reception of voices of the departed.
A tombstone set, by any chance? (Badoom-tish ).

I really like the sound of your setup Paul (but I'm not looking for adoption - I live too far away and the shaky nature of my domestic arrangements is suggesting to me that the high-noon of my own 'collections' may arrive sooner rather than later!).

For me, the odd few 'nice' things I have ever actually bought, I have generally sold on again - there doesn't seem to be much point in it. It's the weird stuff I found in a bin, or which bring back the memory of someone who gave something to me, or which reminds me of a place I once worked or a project I once struggled over, which tends to stay with me for good.
Old 5th Jun 2024, 11:14 am   #63
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
How did you guess? With a hexagram speaker fret to encourage the spirits to visit, and two special circuit patents (264281 and 305953) to trap them, how could it fail?

It will be near the head of the queue if ever I get around to any more restorations, our flat dates back to 1680 so there must be a few ghosts hanging around and ready to have their say if they can make it through the RFI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	298539  
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2024, 12:26 pm   #64
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There isn't a single contrbution on here that doesn't resonate with most of us. Clearly it's a universal experience/obsession [Gerry Wells] and one that has no single solution, despite some overall similarities. Every posting has been of great interest but David's comments [at post 53*] set out the practical realities and Paul's [post 56*] the personal philosophies very well! I'm trying to reduce things at both of my locations but I went minimalist a few decades ago and regretted the losses later so [of course] it's not easy! Another factor is that "what goes around, comes around". "Woodies" may perhaps have collapsed somewhat in price at present but who could have predicted that, much loved but otherwise quite ordinary Radiograms [which we used to gently tell people had very little cash value] would suddenly be in demand due to a new interest in "restoration" .

My brother in-law brought a very sad looking PYE T14 to Bexhill yesterday. It was about to go in a skip and he'd bought it from a junk shop [for £2] fifty years ago! I was telling him that fairly ordinary wooden radios were now often disembowelled for significant parts [ie valves, transformers, L Spkrs etc] as they often have more value individually than the complete set. I said that I was more in the save rather than strip out camp but that I could see it from both sides. Having tried the set out, I only got a loud mains hum, so the smoothing condenser is immediately suspect. The case veneer is shabby but the pale blue chassis and contents are intact and original.

I hadn't actually realised how heavy this small set was but I pointed out the massive mains TX and practically "cast iron" LS. It was only later I speculated that the PYE could perhaps be sprayed black, leaving the illuminated dial as a historical feature only but with the radio section disabled. The "pick-up" socket would accomodate a matching [small] DVD player on top [for my CD's and DVDA's] and/or a DAB portable. In effect it could be a significant Amp/Speaker unit. Mono of course but I suspect very satisfactory. I haven't opened a separate thread on this set as I only use it as an example of how very easy it is to get drawn back into the "obsession", plus it's not likely that I'll be doing anything much, rather than keeping it, in the near future I will though be trying to hold on to items that have been given to me personally rather than those bought at auction or obtained elsewhere.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th Jun 2024 at 12:32 pm.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2024, 1:41 pm   #65
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Well, William Morris said something very like "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful", but for myself I'd add "...or find to be interesting"
Since 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', I feel it can be extended somewhat.

I find a clever or unusual circuit to be 'beautiful'. It may not look anything special on the chassis or PCB -- just normal-looking components -- but I find beauty in the way they are connected.

That's how I justify some of the items in my collection.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2024, 3:19 pm   #66
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
How did you guess? With a hexagram speaker fret to encourage the spirits to visit, and two special circuit patents (264281 and 305953) to trap them, how could it fail?

It will be near the head of the queue if ever I get around to any more restorations, our flat dates back to 1680 so there must be a few ghosts hanging around and ready to have their say if they can make it through the RFI.
That's very funny. That speaker fret might be all a bit Aleister Crowley, but it has more immediate Star-of-David connotations to me. I'd be wary of sitting anything like a DAC90 next to it, for fear of a repetition of Exodus Ch3 v2
Old 8th Jun 2024, 8:22 pm   #67
slidertogrid
Octode

It is unfortunate but interest is falling in the case of ordinary wood radios, 78s, Clocks and Gramophones. Some are now worth nothing and can't be given away. I have been doing a fairly large clear out of my spare room and loft. I took a car full to the local auction. From what they have told me the Bakelite sets may make £10 to £20. A tabletop Gramophone £25 to £30. A couple of '50s record players maybe a tenner. On the other hand they were keen on a couple of "ghetto blasters" and said they should "do well". They wouldn't take some slightly tatty wood radio sets and said that 78s maybe wouldn't make the listing fee so they went to the tip along with about 30 autochangers that I had been hoarding for years in case they came in handy!
Times are changing!
Old 9th Jun 2024, 4:43 pm   #68
E93AFAN
Tetrode

An very interesting thread.

I returned to the hobby when I retired after 50 years absence, family, career and other obligations having declined as I grew older so allowing plenty of time for a hobby. I started by acquiring and fully restoring a Roberts RP4 and a Cossor 501, sets which were in my household as a child, they now sit proudly on the sideboard, much to my wife's displeasure.

Later I acquired many new components, IF's, coils, NOS valves and transistors over a period of a couple of years, I spent a lot of money, but my intention was to start building some of the kit I had enjoyed in my teens and twenties, a nostalgia fest I suppose.

During Covid I built a number of straight, regen and superhet mw/lw receivers and enjoyed listening to local and out of region stations, then quite suddenly the MW band went dead hereabouts aside from the sports and Five Live channels. I built a pantry transmitter, but piping Radio 2 FM to my am receiver didn't sound the same and seemed a little sad somehow,

So I thought OK I will build a good 7 valve 5 band shortwave receiver, make an amplified loop aerial and do some shortwave listening. The outcome of that exercise is obvious, aside from the Radio China propaganda feeds there is little else transmitting apart from the odd amateur and business users, there's always Shannon Aeradio I guess.........

You're doubtless thinking why didn't I stop to establish if the world had changed, the short answer is in my naivety I had not thought to check, I assumed the world of am radio still turned as it did in the 70's. So, I suspect like many of my age and persuasion I am left between a rock and a hard place. I didn't restart my hobby to make money, but for the joy of building something with my own resources to grab messages from the ether, with nothing to capture the joy has evaporated.

I would like to try my hand at a Band II receiver, but components are just not affordable (if available), so I have contented myself with revisiting the Mullard Book of Audio Amplifiers and am currently collecting the parts to make a couple of 5 10's and a 3 valve stereo preamplifier. At least I still have my vinyl records, a decent turntable/cartridge and pair of Wharfedale speakers, so it will give me something to assuage my nostalgic needs.

After that well I guess my "radio stuff" as my wife calls it will end up in the garage and in a few years time when I shuffle off go to landfill. Friends and family encourage me to revert to computing, but after 35 years in the industry it would be a bus drivers holiday.

This is not how I envisaged events would turn out and leaves my feeling very sad that an era has ended. At least now I better understand my father, who died in his late 90's, stubbornly clinging to his late Victorian world view against a tide of modernism, I guess its what happens to one as we age.
E93AFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2024, 9:55 am   #69
qualityten
Octode

This is an interesting and important thread, not least because it's enabled us to talk a bit more about ourselves and our present circumstances.

I got into vintage hifi in mid-life out of necessity, because I love music but couldn't afford new valve equipment or a new turntable. Back in the 90s, the internet was an exciting new source of information about this.

Learning to repair, restore and sometimes even build equipment from yesteryear has been very rewarding and has enabled me to explore a road not taken. I had planned to study electrical engineering until puberty diverted me into music, literature and the arts. Later, a second career took me into theology and adult education. So I enjoy the areas covered by this forum as an enthusiastic amateur. I have treated each new restoration project as an educational opportunity and this forum has been amazing as a resource for this.

Regarding the future of this forum and the need to welcome younger members, there are a number of areas in which vintage electronic skills are still in demand. One is guitar amplifiers and associated electronics e.g. pedals, and another is game-related electronics, from pinball machines to game consoles.

Might the forum leaders host a consultation (or just start a thread) exploring ideas for some new discussion areas?
qualityten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2024, 2:00 pm   #70
electronicskip
Nonode

I have to admit, my interest in woodys is really on the wane nowadays apart from really early examples 20's etc , I'm leaning more towards 60's/70's/80's radios, transceivers etc.
I've got maybe about 20 woodys some I've got working and restored the cabinets which I really enjoy doing but my general interest has waned to almost zero and they are just taking up room now.

Maybe one day my interest will rekindle.
Old Yesterday, 8:59 pm   #71
jamesperrett
Octode

Revisiting this thread again, I realise that I haven't actually even switched on any of my small collection of valve radios for the best part of 50 years. Even the Brennel MkV and the Sterns amplifier have been dormant for much of that time too. That's probably because I acquired some reasonably good hifi and studio gear in my late teens and early 20s which is still in regular use today.

My lad has taken some of my hifi cast offs and seems interested in the good tape machines but he doesn't seem to see any appeal in radio.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:13 pm   #72
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

In the last few years, I've started quite a number of new construction projects... and not completed any of them. There's a draw full of components bought specially for them and sitting unused. I love planning the projects, drawing layout designs carefully worked out for optimum outcome, but I just don't get much pleasure from construction any more.

The Nano-vna I bought in February has never been used.

I've just ordered my first Airfix kit in ~50 years .

B
Old Today, 8:25 am   #73
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

More contributions to this "interesting and important thread" as Quality10 says [post 69*]. E93AFAN [post68*] seems to have a high work rate building sets as Stations disappear Others though have claimed that there are still [on SW and other waveband] signals to find. It's all probaly inevitable it does highlight nostalgia, a valuable human quality other animals lack! ters and others to find. The excellent Idler magazine published an article last year suggestng that SW listening had potential as a new hobby.

It might not be quite the same if radios etc are in usage via a pantry TX or other digital source but I value and get a sense of achievement that what can be seen as redundant, actually isn't! Especially if it's under threat. I don't think that E93 was at all naive to assume things would carry on as before. When the world isn't going madly backwards, it's speeding up! Although this is all probably inevitable it does highlight the importance of Nostalgia to human beings, a valuable insight and quality that the other animals appear to lack, in favour of loyalty maybe

One broadcast comparitor, I suggest, is the current [no pun intended] changing aspect of Television all around us, in favour of the autonomous Internet distribution of pretty much all information and TV's that are just voice operated glass panels [or walls] with "streaming" content. This may come as a similar shock to the Radio changes for many in the vast TV audience fairly soon, or perhaps not? It has been pointed out elsewhere here that Satellite Services [eg Freesat] may need to remain for the many rural areas of the UK lacking adequate WI FI or any at all but Satellites and Transmitters are very expensive, so it's by no means a given.

Hanging on to a vinyl Hi Fi or otherwise system is probably a very good idea. You have already paid for it but much more importantly perhaps, it's not from a central source that can be switched off! I've tried to extend that by [hopefully] "maintaining" equipment to enable me to playback [at least] all the commercial and archived material that I have built up over the years on reel to reel/cassettes/VHS/Mini Discs etc. That will keep me busy enough. I've always felt a bit guilty that I know a lot about electronic history but lack any real technical expertise. Too many interests really.

Bazz [post 72*] says he has just ordered an Airfix Kit to go back to a previous interest. The only ones I ever built were the Apollo [I think ] 3 stage Rocket [1958] and the Lancaster Bomber which turned out, many years later, to have the famous R1155 Receiver and associated Transmitter on board! Have you been watching Hornby A Model World on the Yesterday Channel? It featured a Kit Aircraft in production during last nights program, £75 but worth it for the quality. There is an amazing attention to detail in this now booming and so enthusiastic UK Industry.

Dave W

"Life's a Jet Plane. It moves too fast!" Dylan

"Each day just goes so fast. You turn around it's past! You don't get time to
hang a sign on me!" Only the Beatles,

Last edited by dave walsh; Today at 8:43 am.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:15 pm   #74
Squipper
Pentode

"We restore something to the best of our ability, then what?" - a fair and pertinent question.

I am loathe to admit defeat - and thus I will not surrender. I will find a path to truce with what-was then, to what-is now.

I have held the past in high regard, for many a year - we did, simply put, better then.

The quality of what was once Great and British has now not only been nailed down, and put into a hole, but well and truly buried for all time.

I still have my fascination, obviously with Roberts, but also with a swathe of other brands too - and I will continue to tinker at times, but it will be just that.

It seems the death-bell has been rung, and these interesting things must be resigned to history, with passing references to the technology that was, perhaps outlined on a Wikipedia page for no-one to ever look over or recall.

As radio repairers, we are a dying breed. With our collective demise, comes a plethora of surplus, radio sets, test gear, tools - all of which the now and future generations will never use, nor know what to do with, nor what they were ever used for.

The irony is that I am, as I write, listening to BBC R2 over the internet, on a Roberts Stream 93i. The R900 beneath it, as beautiful, as immaculate as it is, now redundant.

My Roberts P5A, again, immaculate, and very finely tuned, finds very little of interest to broadcast to me sadly - such is the state of play with broadcasters - or rather - lack of them.

Yes, I have a very nice and most capable MW transmitter, but in all honesty, is it worth the faff of firing everything up (MP3 player / Transmitter / Radio) to rebroadcast something nowadays when some would argue that a bluetooth speaker would do...

I will still tinker. I will. But the day is drawing closer when I will hang up my test gear for good.

PAUL
Squipper is offline   Reply With Quote