UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Old 16th May 2024, 2:12 pm   #1
Max Power
Tetrode

Default Eastbourne Auctions - May 2024 - Tek/HP and other test equipment

www.eastbourneauction.com

It looks like a workshop has been cleared; Tek Scope, HP distortion meter, signal generators, voltmeters, Weller soldering equipment, Variac, isolation TX, more solder than you can shake a stick at, transistors and wire and parts, etc.

Masses of stuff, click on the link and scroll down a bit..

https://www.eastbourneauction.com/ca...urrentPageNo=1
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:23 am   #2
Wellertcp
Tetrode

Default Re: Eastbourne Auctions - May 2024 - Tek/HP and other test equipment

Well, I went and had a look (in the rain!) The HP-stuff looks very nice, virtually pristine. Very clean. In fact all of the test equipment does.

If you look closely, there are a few hidden gems to be had; Lot 1411 - Peak transistor tester, and an AVO LCR meter. The AVO LCR meters like this are very good, very accurate (I've got one myself) Plus something for Heathkit fans.

Lot 1439 - illuminated bench lamp, and Herbert Terry anglepoise, ideal for the bench.
Lot 1456 - one of those high-impedance AVOmeters that are highly regarded (forget the model no.) Plus a Capacitor Wizard, and what I think is a Cyril Bateman meter.
Lot 1457 - Levell transistor tester, plus two Quad 405 boards.
Lot 1476 - in amongst all of the components, is the very rare Leak Hi-Fi book.

A couple of other lots of note are lot 1248 - a Quad 405, with the Ken Kessler book - estimate £40 - £80!! The book alone must be worth £40.

And finally lot 1254 - a Hacker Sovereign III (the later model, goes upto 104MHz) and a Roberts R707. Both look very clean and tidy.

I placed a couple of bids (I won't say on what!) and drove home in the rain...

Last edited by Wellertcp; 23rd May 2024 at 12:45 am.
Wellertcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2024, 1:56 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Avo EA113 is that meter. Called up in cal procedure for VCM163.

HP distortion meter is an 8903 either A or B suffix. Does distortion %, S/N dB, SINAD dB, as well as a very low distortion oscillator and audio millivoltmeter. If it's a B suffix, that would be a later model with more versatile inputs and outputs. Both are very useful.

David
Old 26th May 2024, 11:10 pm   #4
Wellertcp
Tetrode

Thanks for that, RW.
Looks like the 8903 is the B-model, way out of my league price-wise.

Ah yes, the VCM163; saw one in a lab once, a long time ago, (probably around 1980) but alas never got to play with it.
I guess the high-impedance test meter needed for calibration due to the high-impedance nature of valve circuitry.

I've been looking for a spec for the EA113, and found this;

https://www.aef.se/Matteknik/Mattekn...meter_2498.pdf

"1MOhm/V up to 100V (constant 100MOhm above)"

Also..

"Measurements up to a resistance of 100MOhm may be carried out using the
intemal batteries...."

Impressive.
Old 27th May 2024, 12:50 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellertcp View Post
Impressive.
Indeed, but there's more... It's also an audio millivoltmeter down to 10mV fsd.

I had mine on a Datron calibrator at work once and found the upper -3dB point at about 200kHz.

The impressive performance comes from JFETs and a chopper amplifier to get its 10mV DC range.

BUT (there is always a but!) the little meters are terribly sensitive to any RF about the place. Not the thing to use near transmitters. VCM163s are in great demand leading to silly prices, and as a piece of required cal equipment, the EA113 has had second-hand prices whomped up as collateral damage.

The HP8903 is superb. I have one here, and it got used a lot in developing radio transcevers, mostly measuring audio distortion and SINAD for the receivers. The B simply added more versatile, higher impedance and floating inputs/outputs. Going rate seems to be around £300 last time I looked. With a power amp and a microphone you can set them up to sweep loudspeakers . You'll need either an X/Y recorder to plot the trace, or a digital oscilloscope.

There is a companion box for the 8903, the 8901 which is a 1300MHz receiver which allows the 8903 to measure distortion, S/N etc of transmitters. Used to calibrate sig gens as well.

David
Old 30th May 2024, 12:22 am   #6
Wellertcp
Tetrode

I have used an 8903 (borrowed from a workplace) yes, like most HP equipment, they are a joy to use.
But that workplace is long-gone, and so am I!

I remembered; I was offered a VCM163 about 25 years' ago for £100; at the time I thought the price was too high !!!!!!
If only I knew then what I know now....
I've dabbled with valves; radios and amps, but I'm not really a valve afficionado; and at the time, I couldn't justify the spend on something that would really just be a curio (to me at least) and you can really get by without a valve tester.

AVO really hit the mark with analogue meters, it's a shame they never really did it with digital, despite a number of attempts; most AVO digital meters I've used have been very un-user-friendly. Yes I was praising the little AVO LCR meters further up this thread, they are very accurate, but with that form factor (there is also a DVM in the same form factor) are a chore to use. The meter would have been better turned through 180degrees.

Whereas with a Fluke 75/77 just twirl the knob, and away you go....

Last edited by Wellertcp; 30th May 2024 at 12:28 am.
Old 30th May 2024, 8:43 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The auction is spread over three days.

The items of interest, mentioned in post #2 above, are in ‘Lots 1,001 – 1842’, to be auctioned today – 30 May:

Sale Dates:

29th May 2024 from 9:30am - Victorian Ceramics & Glassware, Decorative Arts , Paintings, Oriental, Silver, Collectables, Ephemera, Books, Coins, Photography, Sporting (Lots 1 to 769).
30th May 2024 from 9:30am - Vehicles, Furniture, Collectables, Musical, Vinyl, Toys & dolls, Militaria (Lots 1001 to 1842).
31st May 2024 from 9:30am - Antique & Vintage Jewellery and Watches (Lots 2001 to 2744).

It will be interesting to see the auction results, but bear in mind the fees that apply to the hammer price:

Room and Absentee Bids:
32.50% inc VAT*

Online and Autobid:
32.5% inc VAT*

*(These fees include buyers’ premiums and internet surcharges).

Any bidders unable to collect items in person will have the added cost of packing and shipping, plus the risk of damage in transit. Furthermore, though items may look in good cosmetic condition they are long since obsolete, sold 'as seen', will probably not have been used for many years, and may contain components no longer obtainable at any price.

So, as they say at the Fun Fare: 'ride at your own risk'!
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2024, 9:18 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

A guy in Farnham that I bought my RA17 from twenty years or so ago, said that when valves had (temporarily of course) bit the dust in favour of transistors and ICs, said that he had put ten VCM163's into a skip during a clear out. And a bunch of other now desirable kit.

He of course rued that decision!

Craig
Old 30th May 2024, 9:44 am   #9
Wellertcp
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Furthermore, though items may look in good cosmetic condition they are long since obsolete, sold 'as seen', will probably not have been used for many years, and may contain components no longer obtainable at any price.

So, as they say at the Fun Fare: 'ride at your own risk'!
A little bird tells me, that most of the test equipment is from a recent workshop clearance of a deceased engineer, and was in use until fairly recently.
But of course, all items are sold as seen.
Old 30th May 2024, 9:55 am   #10
Wellertcp
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
A guy in Farnham that I bought my RA17 from twenty years or so ago, said that when valves had (temporarily of course) bit the dust in favour of transistors and ICs, said that he had put ten VCM163's into a skip during a clear out. And a bunch of other now desirable kit.

He of course rued that decision!

Craig
Makes me wince !
And I hope he gave them a good going over with a 3lb ball pein hammer before doing so (!!!)
Old 30th May 2024, 8:48 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just checked the 'hammer prices' on the Lots mentioned in post 2 above, which were as follows:

Lot 1411 - 'Peak transistor tester, and an AVO LCR meter.' Hammer: £35.00

Lot 1439 - 'illuminated bench lamp, and Herbert Terry Anglepoise'. Hammer: £28.00

Lot 1456 - 'high-impedance AVOmeters, plus a Capacitor Wizard, and what I think is a Cyril Bateman meter'. Lot Withdrawn.

Lot 1457 - 'Levell transistor tester, plus two Quad 405 boards'. Hammer: £40.00.

Lot 1476 - 'in amongst all of the components, is the very rare Leak Hi-Fi book'. Hammer:£35.00.

Lot 1248 - 'Quad 405, with the Ken Kessler book - estimate £40 - £80. Hammer: £120.00

Lot 1254 - 'Hacker Sovereign III (the later model, goes up to 104MHz) and a Roberts R707'. Hammer: £30.00.

Also, Lot 1462 - 'Tek 465 Scope': Hammer price £30.00.

Hope that's of interest.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2024, 8:28 pm   #12
Wellertcp
Tetrode

30 quid for a Tek 465 - bargain....!