UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 28th Sep 2017, 7:23 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Nonode

Default A useful home-made sanding block for cabinets.

The veneer on radio cabinets is 0.6mm thick (or should I say 'thin') and it's desperately easy to sand through tot the underlying plywood cabinet. I'm more inclined towards using a cabinet scraper (not a paint-scraper!) than to be gung ho with sandpaper. That said, a light sanding with 400G upwards is all to the good. But it's easy to create low and high spots if held in the hand rather than using a sanding block of some sort or another. The most common ones are cork, about 2" x 3" - fine for sanding your front door or windowsills, but not really large enough for flat veneers on a radio cabinet. Leastways, I don't think so.

I use a home made sanding block which I thought might be of interest to others.

I claim no originality for it - it's based on one I saw in 'Readers Tips' in a cabinet-making magazine.

I've attached some pictures and a sketch that I've drawn, which should make it clear how it's made and used.

It could be made with any scrap of wood 6" x 3" x 1.5". I had a scrap piece of mahogany to hand so used that.

Hope it's of interest and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3624.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	150040   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3625.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	150041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3626.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	150042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanding Block.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	150044  
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2017, 2:12 pm   #2
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Default Re: A useful home-made sanding block for cabinets.

For really thin stuff I stick a bit of "sandpaper" onto a bit of 1/8th" ply, you can manipulate the sanding bit depending where you put pressure on it.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:23 pm   #3
alanworland
Hexode

I have found that using a large(ish) flat block could be quite dangerous if that cabinet is not flat?
I tend to use a firmish rubber pad made by 3M used for vehicle bodywork, it's about 2 1/2 by 1 1/2.

Alan
alanworland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:40 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Octode

I like that idea, certainly better than sticking the sandpaper onto the wood with double sided tape! I will have a go at knocking a couple of those up, I've got loads of bits of wood hanging about after building my new workshop.

Regards,
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2017, 8:16 pm   #5
nebogipfel
Tetrode

You manage to make all your projects look so nice David ....even a humble sanding block

The locking wedges are a very neat idea