UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2011, 10:44 am   #1
llama
Octode

Default Meccano in 99p shop

Spotted 2 different series of meccano-like kits in the 99p Shop yesterday - one by Metalix, the other Stanley. A couple of different sets of each - I bought the set that appeared to have the most generic parts in it including 5 plastic wheels, a screwdriver and spanner, a couple of strips, 7 turned-up strips, a couple of axles, a few small flanges and 20-odd nuts and bolts. These latter are 4mm rather than the 5/32 of Meccano and the strips have holes at 1 cm centres. The axles do seem compatible with Meccano.

I recall the Stanley kits were marked for 8 year olds and up. I was rather concerned that the Metalix kit is marked 3+! With a grand-child on the way, I think it'll be way more than 4 years before I let those little fingers get at these tasty nuts and bolts!

Anyway, for us, a potentially useful source of brackets and general bits for building into stuff.
Graham
Old 4th Jan 2011, 12:10 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Meccano in 99p shop

Me again.
When titling this thread I forgot the uncapitalisation that occurs - I'd put the NO of Meccano as caps. Geddit? Praps Mecca-not would've been better.
Graham
Old 4th Jan 2011, 1:40 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Meccano in 99p shop

"Meccano" ?

Dunno if " is allowed in a title, though.

I feel a visit to town might be in order- there's often something useful in the 99p shop, even if it's not what you went for in the first place.

If nothing else, it can be educational to see just what lengths have been gone to and corners cut to make whatever it is down to the price.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread