UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2018, 2:27 pm   #1
thosmatthews
Retired Dormant Member

Default Braun TC 45 UK Power

Hello there,

I hope someone can help me- I recently acquired a Braun TC 45/4 from around the mid to late 1960s and before I plug it in, I want to ensure I've got the correct power running through it.

The power information on the back reads:
50Hz / 70W
115 / 127 / 155 / 220 / 240 V~

As it has listed 220 and 240V, does this mean I can just pop on an EU to UK adaptor with a 13A fuse and plug it in?

I see it also has a separate plug for a ground wire. Is it necessary to use this?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to destroy a lovely piece of 1960s German design!

Many thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11_f.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	169452  
Old 17th Sep 2018, 3:37 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Braun TC 45 UK Power

No, it means there is a setting available for the mains transformer that would support 240V and allow connection to UK mains. You need to find out how to check/change the setting before you plug it in. It is possibly behind that black panel?
Old 17th Sep 2018, 4:48 pm   #3
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Braun TC 45 UK Power

A 1A fuse should be adequate to drive 70W.
Measure your mains voltage. It is more likely to be nearer 240V than 220V.
Start with a lamp limiter, 60W or so.
Closed Thread