UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2021, 5:26 pm   #1
sr29067
Diode

Default Help restoring Philips N4408

Hi,
over Christmas, I got down to trying to restore my late Father's Philips N4408 open-reel tape-deck. It had spent many, many years in the shed but was in surprisingly good overall condition.

Of course, it had been affected by the typical Philips drive belts and rubber parts turning to goo. Having learnt (I think from this forum) that acetone was a good solvent for this, I spent several hours removing all the black sticky stuff.

I had bought a set of belts and pinch wheel from eBay and was able to eventually get to a point where I could play a tape. Success!

However, although Rewind and Play work, Fast Forward does not. This is a result of the idler wheel in the middle now having no rubber on it. Since these don't appear to be available as replacement parts, I tried a pinch wheel but that's too small. I have some neoprene that I can use to fashion a new one but it would be a lot quicker and easier with some information. I, therefore, have three questions:

1) What is the external diameter of the middle idler wheel that drives the right had tape spool (I guess it's about 26mm).
2) Any advice on how to refit the brake rubbers at the top? I removed the clips, cleaned them but now can't figure out how to put them back on with new rubber.
3) Does anyone have a part number for a replacement bulb for the green/red bulbs that indicate the track in use (1-4, 2-3)? One seems to have blown.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 11:18 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Help restoring Philips N4408

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr29067 View Post

3) Does anyone have a part number for a replacement bulb for the green/red bulbs that indicate the track in use (1-4, 2-3)? One seems to have blown.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
If I am looking at the correct lamps they are described as 24V 50mA Red, Green & White.

David
Old 10th Jan 2021, 12:17 pm   #3
sr29067
Diode

Default Re: Help restoring Philips N4408

Thanks for the details of the bulb. RS seem to have some things that might work as a replacement for this.

I had another play with the deck yesterday and ended up gluing bits of rubber to the brake rail, which works well. I also used a 3/4" tap washer for the idler wheel and that works a treat. Very happy that I now have an (almost) fully functioning tape deck.
Closed Thread