UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2011, 1:05 am   #1
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

Default R1155 model E (we think it's model E, certainly an R1155)

Gentlemen and Ladies,

This is my first post and I expect a delay before it "goes live".

We have a beautiful R1155 - model E as we recall - together with its original power which works perfectly.

Forgive me for being mercenary, but military radio is not a particular interest of ours, but having a 1932 model "sunrise" restored and working radio in good condition is.

Would you please let me know what you think in terms of value?

I know nothing about vintage radios and seek your advice and comments.

Regards,

goodfortune

Last edited by paulsherwin; 31st Jan 2011 at 2:00 am. Reason: Edited to comply with forum rules
Old 31st Jan 2011, 8:18 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: R1155 model E (we think it's model E, certainly an R1155)

Can you explain what you mean by 'together with its original power which works perfectly' - the original power supplies were either two rotary converter power units (also powering the T1154 transmitter) in an aircraft, or two big and heavy (very heavy!) mains ground power units.

Andy
Old 31st Jan 2011, 10:03 am   #3
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'together with its original power which works perfectly' - the original power supplies were either two rotary converter power units (also powering the T1154 transmitter) in an aircraft, or two big and heavy (very heavy!) mains ground power units.

Andy
Thank you for your reply Andy. Bear in mind please I'm a total novice at this (and it seems more complicated than the off-side rule). In addition to the receiver, there is another "box" with a plug and cabling between it and the receiver. I understand they must never touch one another but I don't know why. Because this box is very like the receiver I have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it is the original power supply. It is perhaps two feet tall and jolly heavy.

Regards,

goodfortune
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:07 am   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Pictures?
Alan
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:08 am   #5
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

It sounds like you have the original ground station power supply. Could you post some pictures .

Mike
Old 31st Jan 2011, 12:06 pm   #6
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

R1155s seem to be flavour of the month as an R1155N recently went for a staggering £640on eBay and previously another made well over £200. Both unmodified and in good condition with all the DF intact but no PSU. I think that one of the war surplus sellers (in Lisle Street?) offered a PSU in the 60s.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 1:36 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

If your power unit is 'two feet tall and jolly heavy' it does sound like one of the two units comprising Power supply Type 114. This supplies the receiver HT and also enough LT for the receiver and transmitter (the other unit supplies 1200v EHT for the Tx). This PSU is well worth preserving, but proably less than ideal for running a receiver alone. Apart from its size and weight, it uses selenium rectifiers (also for the LT supply, which is DC for the Tx valves) which might be dubious due to age, and conflicts in various ways with what would be considered basic good design nowadays from a safety viewpoint.

Andy
Old 31st Jan 2011, 1:57 pm   #8
RobinBirch
Hexode

If it is one of those then it'll have some changes in he wiring to make it work without the transmitter. The wiring is set up to come out of the LT power supply and go to the transmitter and thence to the receiver. The on/off switch is on the transmitter. So unless the cabling was modified to effectively permanently switch it all on once the on/off switch on the front of the LT module was made, it wouldn't work.

Robin

G5HI
Old 31st Jan 2011, 2:49 pm   #9
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Robin,
Agreed!
We need some pictures.
Andy
Old 31st Jan 2011, 9:55 pm   #10
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I'm delighted that you are interested. I shall take some pictures and come back to you. They won't, I afraid, be good pictures, as I'm not strong enough to lift the receiver into the light and the big, heavy box will have to be "walked" from where it is.

Back shortly.

goodfortune
Old 31st Jan 2011, 10:11 pm   #11
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Robin,
Agreed!
We need some pictures.
Andy
Here goes, not very good I'm afraid.

gf

ps Andy, I believe yuo live quite near us?
Old 31st Jan 2011, 10:55 pm   #12
tis your junk
Pentode

Hi all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGreen View Post
I think that one of the war surplus sellers (in Lisle Street?) offered a PSU in the 60s.
I certainly have what I took to be a post war "box" which contained a power unit and an amp that simply plugged into the existing Jones plug on the front of 1155. Thus you could run it off domestic mains and listen to the the set via a load speaker.
In the ignorance of youth (Mum and dad didn't even meet till well after the war) I thought they were all like that until I saw one in, if memory servers, the nose section of a Lancaster in the Imperial war museum.

So the box in question could be one similar to mine.

TYJ
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:03 pm   #13
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Robin,
Agreed!
We need some pictures.
Andy
I'm pleased that you are interested in this and very much appreciate your comments.

Before going further I should apologise for trying to post photos which were too large. They have now been reduced, successfully I hope.

Regards,

goodfortune
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:32 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good evening GF. You are creating a stir with your set and it's [I think largely unknown] original power supply unit [PSU]. Most restorers usually have to create their own dedicated PSU to get these going but certainly not of that size-perhaps less than half that of the reciever itself! See other threads on here. It's interesting that you were told not to let the cases touch. This may [or not] relate to an unusual arrrangement in the 1155 in which the negative side of the Power Supply is "floating" rather than attached to the chassis and therefore incorrect connection can be bad news. I wonder if this has anything to do with your comment? It will be interesting to see what the many expert technicians have to say. My own, as yet unrestored set, has a 1950's ad hoc power unit that is definetely unsafe.
Dave Walsh

Last edited by dave walsh; 31st Jan 2011 at 11:38 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 3:06 am   #15
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I doubt this is an original power unit - as the case on that should be ok for touching....

The problem with the R1155 is that the receiver cabinet and chassis are at Bias potential (in some cases about 40v above ground - not dangerous, but painful if not expecting it, and makes the rx very deaf if the bias rail gets shorted!
Old 1st Feb 2011, 3:29 am   #16
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I can never get my mnd around a perfectly safe psu for the R1155. Any psu made in a metal chassis has to be earthed to ensure a ht fault making the chassis or metal case live.

Hence an earthed case can never be in contact with a R1155 chassis. Am I missing something ?or are weforgetting that in 60's or earlier the "nanny state" did not exist

Mike

Last edited by MichaelR; 1st Feb 2011 at 3:30 am. Reason: spelling
Old 1st Feb 2011, 8:34 am   #17
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

In the absence of any pictures yet, I would put money on the PSU being the HT/LT unit of the PSU Type 114 - the description that it has to be 'walked' from where it is sums it up! I have both units, and have to move them the same way.

I'm puzzled by the comments about not letting the cases touch, and Sean's comment that the Rx chassis is at bias potential about 40v above ground. The chassis of both Rx and PSU should be earthed (therefore can touch). The HT- then sits at the bias potential below ground and is not earthed. There should be no connection in the PSU between HT- and the chassis - the supply circuit being isolated from the PSU chassis, which should be earthed.

Andy
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:09 am   #18
newlite4
Octode

Quite right Andy, the chassis is at earth potential, it also serves as the return for the heater supply. Both HT+ and HT- are floating WRT chassis.
Neil
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:10 am   #19
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

"In essence an isolated output".....exactly.

Mike
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 9:54 pm   #20
goodfortune
Retired Dormant Member

I do apologise gents, I posted a few pictures (then realised they were too large, so reduced to "small size" and posted again but they still haven;t arrived on the thread.

Have you any suggestions? Would it be better if I posted one photo per post or have I angered the Gods and been chucked out for too many demerits?

I really do appreciate your comments and hope you will bear with me.

Regards,

goodfortune
Closed Thread