UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2009, 1:15 pm   #21
chriswood1900
Octode

Smile Re: What do YOU do with your reel to reel?

I keep them as part of tape collection including Elcaset, DCC, DAT, Compact Cassette, microcassette and 8 track, I love the R2R best and I usually buy non workers and enjoy restoring them. I then use them intermittently to record from the radio and listening to my collection of old tapes.
I could never afford them in the late 60s and 70s as a teenager in the 80s and 90 they were old hat so I only started about 5yrs ago. I've been through several which I have passed on and now have 2 Ferrograph series 7s (722D & 724), a Tascam 32, a Teac 1000R, Akai GX630DB and a Sony TC765, I'm waiting to find a Tanberg TD20a at the right price and the next project will be a pair of Uher Report Stereo 4000 hoping to build one mint one from 2 tatty ones. I love restoring things and R2R are a better prospect and much more satisfying than a DAT unit which seem to bring on a desire to open a window and see how far you can throw them!
I'm not anti modern equipment I love my ipod whilst travelling and use computers for a lot of recording, I do work in the IT industry!
Regards Chris
Old 24th Nov 2009, 10:38 pm   #22
Cformat
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: What do YOU do with your reel to reel?

Well, I occasionally look at mine and think my goodness why have I got all this old rubbish!

No seriously, I am still deeply in love with most of my tape machines, though I have to say that the passion has mostly cooled now, and so we all just live together in contented old age. Indeed, as we grow old, machines and I, bits continue to fall off both of us.

My own little love affair with the ‘new technology’ of magnetic recording tape started in the early 1960’s when for one Christmas my dad bought me a second hand Geloso G256E. Well it turned out that this was going to be quite an expensive machine. In that as while it cost my father perhaps a few pounds in the local electrical shop, it must have cost me thousands of pounds fleeing from such quality ever since.

Not wishing to offend those who appreciate the Geloso (and I include myself here to a certain extent, once owning a pair of them), but that little cream plastic mechanism could not with the best will in the world be described as a good audio recorder. Bought as a novelty, I soon discovered like many others that I could record music off the radio to keep for my very own. Trouble was, a crystal microphone, a couple of 3 inch reels travelling at 1 7/8 I.P.S. together with a tiny loudspeaker did not produce anything that might be considered as fidelity.

And so began my own 40+ year search for something better.

I ended up with a fairly random collection of tape machines; a couple of good quality audio recorders, a few portables, some broadcast video machines (as they are so interesting) and the odd instrumentation device. In fact I stopped looking for more machines once the interesting stuff died out, and people such as the BBC finished disposing of their obsolete stock. (Anyone remember the BBC redundant stores?). That dreaded auction site is too much like the wild west for my taste. Once there was some simple pleasure to be had in the search for interesting obsolete technical stuff (I once waited 10 years for a TBC I spotted in a Winchester training college), but not these days.

For a long time I used and played with what good audio machines I had (a Ferrograph Logic7, Revox PR99, Nagra T or a Stellavox portable) as part of various audio set-ups around my home. But as with the decline of transmitted Jazz programmes worth listening to, my usage of these ageing movers of tape decreased. We then had the sudden hiatus with new tape supply, and in the meantime I discovered hard disc recording on my laptop together with the impressive abilities of Audacity and Foobar, oh and I also got married. So all at once sound recording became somewhat less important, free in terms of media cost, and just a question of file management on the PC. No longer finding the right box, lacing-up and winding hundreds of feet of tape to find a track, just double click on the file and get on with something else.

My first ’quantum leap’ in audio recording was my move from the ghastly Geloso recorder to the relatively wonderful Ferrograph Series 5, the second, but much greater leap, was my move from tape to hard disk recording and MP3. Going from scraping iron coated plastic ribbon against an electromagnet to the admitted frustrations of Windows remains a revelation, and I hate computers.

So I am sorry to report here that my tape recorders are now mostly redundant and I have little use for them. The big Nagra is literally a doorstop at the moment, and I haven’t bothered to fix the Ampex 1163’s belts. The others are powered-up and pondered upon mostly when I feel nostalgic. The Pro12 has some Goon Shows permanently laced-up and is played occasionally, and the various C Format video machines are run up every now and again just to keep their electrolytics happy and to see if they have any more error codes showing. The Racal Store 4 hasn’t been run for a while as well, though it is usually only used to demonstrate that one can indeed record directly a recognisable television picture at 120 I.P.S. and the Akai GX77 lives in a cupboard.

Meanwhile the laptop system happily rips and gulps down hours and hours of audio seemingly for nothing, measures perfectly according to my friend’s Lindos analyser, and sounds quite good enough for me. If I want to do some location recording the Sony D50 works wonders and the Stellavox, Uher or Nagra SN just stay on the shelf looking beautiful.

It is an odd feeling having virtually witnessed the whole life cycle of a technology. I arrived near the very beginning of tape recording, witnessed its heyday perhaps in the 1960’s, suffered under the Compact Cassette, worked for a while in a recording studio at the dawn of multitrack, bought a few nice machines when I had the money along the way, and now longer have any use for tape. There were times years back when I desperately lusted after some of these machines, but not so these days. Age dims our passions it seems, mostly.

Trouble is that I still like the lacing-up of a proper tape machine, the weight of a 10 inch reel in the hands (especially a 1-inch reel of video tape), all the illuminated buttons, and most of all the dynamic business of a tape machine when it is doing it’s mechanical thing - whoooooarrrr lets try hitting that rewind key, yes oh yessssss!

Careful Cformat don’t get too excited!

Cheers guys, I enjoyed writing this essay.
Old 5th Feb 2010, 12:58 am   #23
Walter303
Diode

My dad bought a Walter 303 in about 1957. The green magic eye and joystick used to fascinate me. I used the Walter as an amplifier for my first electric guitar in 1964 before I took it apart to learn about electronics.
Then in 1967 my dad bought me a Sanyo MR-151 which was a stereo machine with vertical operation and sound on sound capability. My best friend Brian had a Ferrograph series 5 and later a series 6 stereo and we used to swap tapes every Friday when we met up. We used to do crazy stuff editing together Beatles tracks. Kenny Everett was our hero.
We had great fun getting the formats to match. My machine was 4 track and his was 2.
Brian also bought a big Sony (probably a TC-750)
I went off to uni in 1972 and married shortly after. I was hard up for quite a while until in the late 70's I went off and bought a second hand Akai 1721 and shortly afterwards a 4000. When I remarried in 1989 I sold all my reel to reels but this Christmas my wife (bless her) bought me two Ferrograph Logic 7's which I'm currently restoring.
They're both ex BBC machines and I'm confident I'll get one good machine out of them.
When I'm sorted I'm going to dust off my old Beatles tapes and enjoy them again.
I forgot to mention that Brian who I haven't seen for nearly 30 years used to buy all his Beatles music on tape and although they were in mono he never had to suffer the hiss and crackle that came with the vinyl versions.
I'm really looking forward to using the Logic 7 to record the Beatles remastered CD's to add back the warmth that only analogue tape can provide.
Old 5th Feb 2010, 10:59 pm   #24
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

What an interesting collection of stories and memories have come out of this thread, I'm afraid I'm simply a mercenary compared to you guys.

I spotted a thread on one of my bike Forums on an unrelated story that made me think to ask if anyone had an R2R for me to transfer some sentimental tapes for a relative and some for myself. I have an Elizabethan recorder which has been left forlorn in the loft for years and was not working when placed there.
It was my sisters machine bought in the late fifties or early sixties I suppose, small machine single speed and will only take 3" reels.

However, I got a reply and an offer of a non working machine to try and repair in trade for copying some of their tapes too, they had been quoted some horrific prices to have them copied to CD.

Having repaired the incoming Cossor 1604 to the point of just needing the drive belts, I rescued my own little machine from the loft and will also try to mend that one when I have a moment, then I dunno, Back in the loft I suppose.

Graham.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0069.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	32312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0071.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	32313  

Last edited by G8VAT Wolfman; 5th Feb 2010 at 11:06 pm. Reason: Forgot my name at the end, Doh!
Old 6th Feb 2010, 2:38 am   #25
marconimen1901
Retired Dormant Member

I have been using a Sansui QD5500S 4 channel open reel since 1973 and now that the heads have worn out and cannot be replaced, I bought from the USA two QD5500 decks, similar to the first and I import the open reel 4 channel tapes, made in the 1970's, to play on them.

The Sansui's were grossly over engineered technology from a company with just such a reputation and are nothing short of amazing when working with the rest of the quadraphonic equipment from the same era.

It must have been good, the software companies reissue today in various more modern surround sound technologies.

Best wishes.

David.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 12:06 am   #26
reelguy
Heptode

Hello David,
In among all my other reel stuff I have a Sansui SD 5050 reel to reel. this only records in stereo but can play Quadrophonic tapes and has four big meters on the front.Nice M/c.
It worked well last time I used it.
I read somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be available in the UK ?.
I have never managed to get hold of any quad tapes to play on it. I would probably need a sansui receiver to decode the quad tapes. not sure about that.
I wonder if anyone else has a Sansui reel recorder ?
Not many about in the UK.
Peter W ...........Reelguy.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 12:34 am   #27
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

My first r-r machine, as a boy, was a Miny transistor rim-drive 'toy' machine which I used so much that the motor wore out. I still have the machine, with a replacement motor of course. I was later given a Walter 505 and I recorded music off Pick Of The Pops - didn't we all? - but the machine was mechanically clapped-out and I forget what happened to it.

I currently have three r-r machines, a Grundig, a Philips (both mono single-speed domestic machines) and a mono 3-speed Ferrograph 631.

Back in the mid-90s I used the Grundig extensively for pre-recording Morse Code lessons for an advanced class, while I taught the beginners! A brilliant machine which still works well. The small Philips is a recent acquisition, which just needed a couple of new drive o-rings, and I use it occasionally for reproducing old family recordings. The Ferrograph still needs a little mechanical work, but I use it for talks and demonstrations at my local ham radio club as its large speaker and good audio quality is perfect for this purpose, and it also makes a handy (if somewhat heavy) PA amplifier.

I confess to using cassettes for the majority of my recordable music needs.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 7th Feb 2010, 10:21 pm   #28
ben
Dekatron

My first reel recorder was a Fidelity 2-track TD2 Playmaster my mum drageed out the loft. After that went silent I got a working BAIRD, also based on the TD2, from a jumble sale. Can't recall what happened to it. The next one I got was another 2 track Thorn/marconiphone 4206, with the piano keys and solenoid auto stop. Can't recall what happened to that either! I used these to record from radio,make sound effects and impromptu plays with friends.
As a kid I also picked up the small philips EL-3586 . That came with an amazing collection of recorded tapes which led me to develop my interest in Found Tapes.. I sold that little philips to a schoolfriend.
Also had a 3 speed Fidelity TD10 4 track, kept it a few years, it had a very hissy amp and I sold it. Not long after I got a Tandberg series 15-41 which I still have. Also a Philips N4307

My main deck then became a 4 track stereo Pye 9307 (Philips N4408) I used this mostly for music making with a friend as it was the highest quality medium we had, plus it had sound on sound.

About this time I got my pride and joy - a Tandberg IS6 language laboratory, using series 15 as masters and series 5000 as slaves. I intend to get it back to full working order soon, as its twin-channel remote controlled transports give all kinds of possibilities for creative use, besides its original function of language tuition!

My main decks are an AKAI X355 which a local hospital radio station were chucking out, I use this mostly for playback in the lounge. Also a Grundig TK248 which lives near the PC for tape transfers and recording long background tapes. I also have a Sony Tc-765 hi speed 2 trk in storage.

I can't stop picking them up - recently got 2 simple European domestic mono machines, an Ingra and an Italian Lesa renas NH22 which I may put up as a success story.

Last edited by ben; 7th Feb 2010 at 10:47 pm.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 10:23 pm   #29
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

I started inthe mid-50s or thereabouts with a Brenell Mk5, having seen my uncle's Vortexion with paper tape! It was used mainly for pop music but I also tried bird-song and the like. Later, I kitted my bedroom out with a Truvox deck with a long arm which pivotted to engage the mechanism. It also played from left-to-right but bottom track! I fitted it with a post to detect the end-of-tape foil; this engaged a motor, through a thermistor, to slowly start turning and retract the mechanism after I'd gone to sleep - except that the noise of the relays and the motor starting to think about turning always woke me up... I later bought an HMV machine, it was very good, had three heads but suffered from a squeal sometimes which I eventually traced to a bad earth-tag rivet. I maintained Ferro types 3 and 4 for Birmingham Hospital Broadcasting Association then Network, used various BBC machines and bought my own Revox A77.

I don't have room to spread the Revox out, let alone the tape collection - I marvel at the way that so many of you can use more than one machine - do you not have ornaments, photographs, lamps etc on the sideboard or whatever?

Regards Ant
Old 8th Feb 2010, 9:50 pm   #30
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Quote:
do you not have ornaments, photographs, lamps etc on the sideboard or whatever?
Well, yes, but they are on top of the Revoxes.

There are no ornaments on the Teacs because they would be too high up to dust. The Grundig TK18 (my first 1/4") is currently serving as a bookend due to a failed contact-cooled rectifier that I haven't got round to replacing. The Ferrographs, Brenells and Vortexions are mostly for looking at rather than for using, so they don't get the luxury of a permanent hook-up to the general listening system.

I do occasionally record stuff - all the am-dram sound I once did got edited and played out on the trusty Teacs. The high-speed A77 sometimes gets used as a backup to a digital format, for anything critical.

Dare I say that the main function of the open reel decks is to justify the yards of shelf-space given over to open-reel tapes?

Lucien
Old 9th Feb 2010, 9:06 pm   #31
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
...a failed contact-cooled rectifier...
What, contact-cooled with mercury inside it?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 9th Feb 2010, 10:44 pm   #32
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Exactly, Phil. A device otherwise known as a selenium-arc bulb.

I should have mentioned the last time I genuinely USED open-reel tape in earnest, rather than for fun, was in 2003 for the final touchdown of the last Concorde flights at Heathrow. We filmed this in both 70mm and Cinemascope from the roof of a building opposite the runway, and I recorded the sound on a Nagra 4S, reckoning this to be the most dependable recorder for a never-to-be repeated event. It hasn't been out since then though and lives safely tucked up in its case, powered up from time to time while I marvel at all the shiny bits.

Lucien
Old 10th Feb 2010, 4:43 pm   #33
Top Cap
Octode

Don't get me wrong, I have a superb Arcam CD player, but at times I just like to do a straight vinyl to tape transcribe at 15 i.p.s. of all my favourite tracks.
Then sit back and listen to good ol' analogue for old time sake, no 0's, no 1's, no DACS, no filters - just beautiful!
Les
Old 10th Feb 2010, 11:01 pm   #34
marconimen1901
Retired Dormant Member

In reply to Reelguy in this thread.

The Sansui SD5050 was available in this country around 1972-4 and imported by
Vernitron of Southampton, the official Sansui importer at that time.

The discrete open reel tapes require 2 stereo or a single quadraphonic amplifier
and four speakers for playback. You are quite correct though about matrix tapes
for which the Sansui series of 4 channel receivers current at that time are as
ideal today as ever. They are built like tanks, virtually unburstable and seem to
go on for ever. Not much fun for the soldering iron fraternity with them!

Best wishes. DAVID
Old 11th Feb 2010, 11:06 am   #35
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

I'm fascinated by this Sansui SD5050. It's one I don't know. Any chance of a photo?

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 16th Feb 2010, 10:09 pm   #36
marconimen1901
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All

I have been thrashing around the net to find a picture of the SD5050 or SD5050S which
was the alternate finish version, but to no avail.

Various sites show the QD5500 and S version, plus the rest of the range, SD5000,
SD7000, SD3030 and S, but for some strange reason not the one asked for.

I have all the original brochures and prices. The QD5500 is a quad recording and
playback machine and was the last of the brand after the manufacturer Nakamichi,
took to making its own machines (cassette), which brought the open reel era to an
end.

Finally these machines were not made in large numbers. Only two QD5500S were
officially imported by Vernitron. Mine is sadly worn by age, but gave a good account
of itself over 35 years. I will keep a look out for a suitable link photo of the SD5050.

Best wishes.

DAVID
Old 17th Feb 2010, 7:16 am   #37
RCA Victor
Retired Dormant Member

I collect tape. Not commercial or pre-recorded tape. I like home recordings, family histories. People who write songs are gather around a piano at Chritmas time. Letters from home. I also have some favorite machines; Brush "Soundmirror", Sony 350 and 800 and a 1954 Ferrograph. I enjoy the art on tape boxes and odd looking reels. I still
make live mic recordings on tape when ever possible. Lot of humanity on that product.
Old 20th Feb 2010, 10:38 pm   #38
reelguy
Heptode

Re the Sansui TD5050. I will try to post some info and maybe pics as soon as I get a chance.
Recently changed my broadband supplier and haven't got used to the new one yet. . I will also have to try and attach the pics,something I haven't tried yet.....
Peter W......Reelguy
Old 21st Feb 2010, 2:00 pm   #39
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy View Post
Re the Sansui TD5050. I will try to post some info and maybe pics as soon as I get a chance.
Recently changed my broadband supplier and haven't got used to the new one yet. . I will also have to try and attach the pics,something I haven't tried yet.....
Peter W......Reelguy
Hi Peter.

If it helps, I puzzled for some time over how to post pics on the forum. You do it via the 'manage attachments' menu when making a post.

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 24th Feb 2010, 12:00 am   #40
reelguy
Heptode

OK, Here goes.
Hopefully I have managed to show a couple of pics of the Sansui SD 5050..
This deck has really nice controls. When I first got it the belt was slack but I shifted the motor slightly and this took up the slack.
Nice machine but I haven't any quad recordings...But it does play 2 and 4 track stereo tapes.
Peter W.....Reelguy. PS,Just noticed its a bit dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2311.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	32881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2317.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	32882  
Closed Thread