UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2007, 5:42 pm   #21
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Teac X-3

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
Just thought I'd add that of the dozens of machines I've serviced; when the fault symptom was essentially "slows down and/or stops completely while playing" the cause was always a slipping drive-belt or rubber idler driving the capstan. There's going to come a time when that's not the cause, but that time has yet to come
And that goes for "slows down or stops completely in fast wind" although additionally on some machines it can be a slipping clutch under a reel hub.

Single-motor machines have a fairly torquey motor which is difficult to stall unless something is seriously wrong with either the motor or the transport (not faults I've ever seen but that's not to say they could never occur.)

The belts, idlers and clutches need to be clean and in good condition in order to transfer the torque of the motor to where it's needed.

Cheers, Kat
Old 24th Nov 2007, 8:15 pm   #22
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Sweets,
Your problem has nothing to do with the capstan drive belt, as the rewind/fast wind is controlled by the side motors, As the tape seems to be the problem, have you tried another known good tape, it could well be that you are suffering from tape bind in one or other of the tension rollers. Try it without using the tension rollers ( operate the auto stop device) just running past the head block etc. After that there are one or two other tests, alas I have had one or two problems with the key unit on this model.

Colin

Last edited by DOFFERY; 24th Nov 2007 at 8:17 pm. Reason: missing letters
Old 24th Nov 2007, 10:27 pm   #23
sweets53
Retired Dormant Member

Is rubbing alcohol on a cue tip a good cleanser for the rubber drive belts and rubber idlers on this old Tandberg 2TF model?
Closed Thread