UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2018, 1:37 pm   #1
resurgance2001
Retired Dormant Member

Default Looking for a project

Hi all.

I am at that point where I really feel like I want to build something. I am really looking for something to experiment with.

For the ten or fifteen years I have been obsessed with FM broadcast receivers - starting at one transistor and ending at superheterodyne and everything in between.

So I am looking for something new to do - especially where there is something I can experiement with. Any suggestions? I think I would prefer to stick with transistors for the time being.

Cheers.
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 2:59 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for a project

Hi, try combining valves and solid state. Build a scope. There was a recent discussion where the WW scope of the 80's was discussed. All solid state except the tube.

In a similar vein, a Nixie clock

Ed
Old 4th Jan 2018, 12:45 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Looking for a project

How are you off for test equipment? To my mind, you can never have enough! But such things don't have to be large, heavy - and expensive. You can build all sorts of really useful 'gadgets' for a small outlay. And after some time with using them, you wonder how you ever got along without them!
Babini books (esp. by R.A. Penfold) are a good start - amongst others.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 3:15 am   #4
FrankB
Heptode

Project ideas:

Convert a radio from tube to solid state via plug in modules to replace the tubes.

Build a cable tester with many different connectors on it to test all those unknown condition cables in the junk box. Use a 300 ma-600 ma light bulb for testing, as a low power LED may not show up defective connections properly.

Make a low power broadcast transmitter with which to transmit old time radio programs from the 'net, tape, or CD's for reception on vintage radios.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 8:32 am   #5
Viewmaster
Hexode

Build a 32 line NBTV Nipkow disc televisor.

Or if you need ever more excitement a I million volt Tesla coil!
Old 4th Jan 2018, 10:43 am   #6
Colin G8TMV
Tetrode

If construction projects are your aim then how about getting an Amateur radio licence and building kit to use with that. Lots of projects available from simple direct conversion receivers all the way up to synthesised transceivers.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 10:53 am   #7
dave cox
Nonode

Swept spectrum analyser, if you don’t have one on the bench? No need to build the display part, as any old ‘scope will do.

dc
Old 4th Jan 2018, 1:09 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Taking an interest in high-quality audio for granted, an RIAA phono pre-amp? Lots of different approaches and topologies possible with discrete transistors and ICs. Plenty of comparison possibilities without squandering a fortune on exotica. There are some very knowledgeable and insightful folk here who will be able to provide guidance- not to mention plenty of both heat and light out there on t'web!
Old 4th Jan 2018, 2:43 pm   #9
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurgance2001 View Post
I am at that point where I really feel like I want to build something. I am really looking for something to experiment with.
I think this is the engineering equivalent of writers block. Nobody can really suggest anything you should build or experiment with at least that would get you over the inertia of starting a good lengthy project and then keeping the interest & energy going to maintain it to completion.

The answer is inside your mind, waiting to appear, hopefully soon, just like the writer's story.

Think back about circuits inspired or impressed you or interested you before.

Clearly you are good with radio technology already, maybe something new outside the comfort zone and pick up some new skills. Did you see someone do something with a project that you wanted to be able to do too ?

Whatever the project it is, it is better for you to "think it up yourself" and have a fire in your belly for the idea of it, before you start.

I had a period where there were no projects on the boiler, so while I waited for the penny to drop on what the next one might be, I tidied up and upgraded the workshop instead. The ideas seem to come when you don't try too hard.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 6:56 pm   #10

A regenerative receiver.

Old 5th Jan 2018, 12:50 am   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

How about building a magnetic loop aerial/amplifier for AM radio? I built this excellent circuit from here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=137089

Regards
Symon.
Old 5th Jan 2018, 10:00 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Transistors, not FM radio for a change, and something a bit challenging?

There are plenty of people on here restoring or even scratch-building valve amplifiers. Sometimes classic designs, sometimes own designs.

But the solid state side is severely under-represented. There's some fixing of dead hifi amps, but no scratch-building and no-one designing their own. If you jumped in the deep end, here, you'd have a segment to yourself.

Have a look at Douglas Self's website and see if something takes your fancy.

When I'm at a point where I need inspiration, I just look around all over the place until something clicks.

David
Old 5th Jan 2018, 10:24 am   #13
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Have you thought of looking at 1960’s- 1970’s popular electronic mags?
Clive Sinclair was also prolific during this period with simple and more complex designs in his pamphlets described as ‘Trasnsitor Circuit Manual/s. There are some great designs including for a two transistor superhet.

Also you could look up a drain for a super selective and sensitive tuner...
I think the key thing is to know how much you want to make up for scratch (physical layout and mechanical construction) and what is your appetite for solving problems! It sounds like an exciting stage to be at !!!! All the luck !!!
Old 5th Jan 2018, 11:29 am   #14
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

How about a good FM stereo generator that doesn't cost the earth? Non-trivial, as I have found...
Old 5th Jan 2018, 11:54 am   #15
llama
Octode

How about the best Caroline 648 receiver you can make?

Then share the results here...
Graham
Old 6th Jan 2018, 12:12 am   #16
MrBungle
Dekatron

Here’s my project list. All transistors apart from the odd 12au7, CRT and IC. All open for experimentation. Surely some inspiration here. I have at least sketched ideas for the following. Some I have even started work on. Perhaps three or four I might have even completed. I have abandoned more or had a few false starts than I care to think about though.

- VTVM
- FET voltmeter
- power supply
- oscilloscope
- frequency counter
- spectrum analyser
- audio oscillator
- GDO
- RF power meter
- DC receiver
- multi band ssb transceiver
- portable 20/40m CW transceiver
- digital multimeter
- z80 single board computer
- 8640-jr signal generator (from EMRFD)
- various antennas
- 12v solar offline power system
- neon ring counter Christmas lights (this is my favourite idea ever)
- LED work lamp
- scope calibrator
- burglar alarm
- analogue soldering iron controller (for those Chinese Hakko T12 clones)
- various lighting contraptions with LEDs driven from mixes of switching converters and current sources (never underestimate the fun you can have with a bag of cheap LEDs from China!)
- active speakers (with differential drive from a preamp)
- TTL CPU
- digital clocks

List is endless!
Old 6th Jan 2018, 1:03 am   #17
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

As Ed mentioned in post #2 a Nixie clock. I'm contemplating building one using a PIC microcontroller. The nixie tubes I'll be using are some Hivac XN11s or XN3s that I have to hand.

Regards
Symon.
Old 6th Jan 2018, 2:48 pm   #18
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
As Ed mentioned in post #2 a Nixie clock. .
I've built a couple of Nixie clocks and think this is a great idea for anyone with the patience to think about how the tubes will show to best effect!
Old 6th Jan 2018, 6:09 pm   #19
PJL
Dekatron

A project I keep meaning to do is a valve characteristic tester which uses rectified 50Hz as the anode voltage and displays on a scope. It should be possible without too many parts.
Old 6th Jan 2018, 10:12 pm   #20
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Gents, Gents, with nixie tubes you must stick with 74 series TTL !!!!!

Ed
Closed Thread