UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2017, 11:31 pm   #61
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: CB squelch problem

The other option is to produce a laminated tool made to a drawing.
In the past I've made tools for things like this from a suitable piece of FR4 PCB material and a CNC router. You could either make a C spanner in FR4 or just mill a flat circle with the 4 teeth and then solder a vertical 'wrench' section to it made from flat brass folded into a tube and then put holes in the tube to make a wrench like a box spanner.

FR4 material is quite strong and it's going to be much less likely to mark or scratch the soft metal used in that mic socket body

I made a focus tool for my thermal camera like this a couple of years ago using PCB material. This one was an early attempt and it worked really well. It had to be 'very' accurate for all of those teeth to engage exactly with the focus wheel inside the camera lens. Obviously, this one has the teeth on the outer face but it could easily be milled for just 4 teeth on the inner face. I ended up making one like in the second image as this was easier to hold/use once it had a suitable lever on the end.

The other option would be to make one with a 3D printer? It might be strong enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftool2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	137837   Click image for larger version

Name:	ftool.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	137839  

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 18th Feb 2017 at 11:48 pm.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 12:44 am   #62
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: CB squelch problem

Nice suggestions guys, cheers.

I'll first try some long nose pliers with a rag on the tips to avoid damaging the surrounding plastic or metal, but if I fail miserably with these, I've found one of those "camera lens adjustable wrenches" on eBay for £6 - so it's not a big investment, and it might come in handy in the future.

If I buy the tool it'll be coming from China, as the ones available in the UK are twice the price +. I'm patient & the CB is working well apart from this niggle, so all's good until it arrives in ~2 weeks.
Closed Thread