UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2015, 10:15 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question VHF / FM aerial and its feeder

The aerial is a 3-element VHF aerial for band II and it is a fairly old one but having overhauled it (rusty nuts & bolts; corroded aluminium connections, etc.), I expect that it will work O.K. The feeder - which will be replaced - is 75 Ohm coax. The dipole itself is a folded dipole, so shouldn't this aerial be fed with 300 Ohm balanced feeder, or are the spacings from the dipole of the reflector and the single director such that the feed-point impedance has been brought down to something closer to 75 Ohms? Or is the impedance mis-match & the balance / unbalance issue with the coax of no real significance for reception?
Note: For VHF / FM reception, this location is not a 'fringe area' and the aerial will be about 40 foot above ground and well in the clear.

Al. / Oct. 8, 2015 //
Old 8th Oct 2015, 10:33 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: VHF / FM aerial and its feeder

From memory the reason for using the folded dipole was to offset reduction in the feed point impedance due to the extra elements, the spacing of the elements will also effect the impedance.
If it is a decent quality aerial it should be in the ballpark of 75 ohm. There still the balun/unbalanced problem unless the aerial as one built in, some did. Try it and see how it works.

Frank
Old 8th Oct 2015, 10:43 pm   #3
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

folded dipoles with a theoretical impedance of 300 ohms are often used in Yagis because the addition of reflectors and directors reduces the impedance to nearer 60-70ohms enabling coax to be used. Chris G0EYO
Old 9th Oct 2015, 11:01 am   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: VHF / FM aerial and its feeder

Thank you, gentlemen. Your comments confirm my understanding on this. The aerial junction box has an outlet for coax only and is clearly a commercially-built product, so 75 Ohm coax it will be. It's simply because it has been such a long time since I had to think about such matters that I needed a quick refresher.

Al.
Old 9th Oct 2015, 2:54 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it's a quality aerial there should be a balun inside the connection box- looking something like a small coil on a bracket. If there isn't, and the coax connects direct to the dipole ends, it's not ideal, but the signal level difference will be small though the interference shielding effect of the coax outer will be compromised.

If you're enthusiastic, you could do your own with a suitable ferrite core and a few turns of wire, or add a suitable length matching stub coax dangling from the box. Mr G should provide details easily enough.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Oct 2015, 2:24 am   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: VHF / FM aerial and its feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Note: For VHF / FM reception, this location is not a 'fringe area' and the aerial will be about 40 foot above ground and well in the clear.
In the light of information received after that remark was made, a correction is required.

For reference: this particular thread is associated with this one:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=120163

The stations I listen to most are not available from my 'local' transmitter at Stockland Hill. It seems that Wenvoe and Mendip are the required transmitters and fortunately, from this location, they are on a similar bearing (for a 3-ele. beam). However, considering the distance from here to Wenvoe, the propagation path and the intervening terrain, I am probably in the fringe area for that TX, even though Wenvoe has an e.r.p of 150 kW.

As is always the case with aerial alignment - especially when you are in an unknown area, TX-wise - some experimentation is required. Moreover, looking around at nearby rooftops, (the usual 'guide' ), I see a lot of TV / UHF aerials, but am yet to see a band II aerial. So, tomorrow, must expand my 'visual search' area!

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 10th Oct 2015 at 2:36 am. Reason: Add thread reference.
Old 10th Oct 2015, 9:08 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

From your previous info about an indoor dipole being OK-ish, that's probably good enough for 99% of your neighbours and 90% of the rest are likely happy with one of the DAB freeview or Freesat versions.

I have noticed only a couple of "proper" FM aerials on our 500 odd house estate.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Oct 2015, 10:42 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: VHF / FM aerial and its feeder

Finally chose North Hessary Tor in Devon as my target transmitter using horizontal polarisation. Upon test, I'm now happy with the results. This post is associated to https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=120163, to which further reference should be made.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

At present, I can think of nothing that I need to add to this particular thread.

Al. / Oct. 10, 2015 //
Closed Thread