UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2015, 5:33 pm   #1
Trannytuner
Tetrode

Default Philips L3G03T transistor radio, help please.

Hi All
I have just acquired a Philips L3G03T radio, which was dead when I got it, I gave it a quick clean inside. The waveband switches are in reasonably good condition, But I gave them a squirt with switch cleaner, and that has got it going again.
The problem now is, that I can only receive 5 live on medium wave, and the Light programme( radio 4? ) on long wave at a listenable volume, the volume control has to be turned all the way up, also it is very insensitive, would faulty capacitors cause this problem?? I am a relative newbie to fault finding, and just don't know where to start.
The radio is in very good condition, I would love to get it working properly, any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips 4.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	113191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	113192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	113193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	113194  
Old 18th Sep 2015, 5:52 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: Philips L3G03T transistor radio, help please.

Hi Les,

Nice radio!

Here is a schematics for your radio:http://www.service-data.com/product....93/6129/m14693

I would replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the set. It most probably will make a difference!

Good luck, Peter

Last edited by AC/HL; 19th Sep 2015 at 12:37 am. Reason: Please read the Forum rules
Old 18th Sep 2015, 6:24 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

The only capacitors that need changing would be the Plessey electrolytics, the others are very reliable.
Old 18th Sep 2015, 9:31 pm   #4
Trannytuner
Tetrode

Many Thanks to Peter and Stephen for your help, very much appreciated, I will replace the electrolytic capacitors, and let you know the results, I have downloaded the circuit diagram Stephen, that will be very useful, many thanks for sending the link.
Cheers
Les

Last edited by Trannytuner; 18th Sep 2015 at 9:40 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2015, 10:48 pm   #5
Meat Pye
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these radios and it too, needs the volume well advanced to get good volume . I've always presumed this to be because these are 6 transistor radios unlike the seven of the Bush TR82.

Mine has a brownish bronzy kind of finish to the tuning scale unlike yours which has the more attractive red.

For a (harsh) review of the set try this:-

http://www.thevalvepage.com/radios/p...03t/l3g03t.htm
Old 25th Sep 2015, 10:29 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I love Jon's site! Shame it seems to be a bit dormant of late though. And we don't see Dukenukem here much either.
Old 25th Sep 2015, 8:58 pm   #7
music-centre
Heptode

As has already been said, I would change the red/black Plessey Electrolytics, which are often faulty, and give the Waveband switches a good clean. I thought these models worked very well, I had one Thirty plus years ago that would give very good volume (even then the 2 PP9s worked out a bit expensive though) and recently got another that worked well with just the switches cleaned.
Steve.
Old 7th Oct 2015, 3:51 pm   #8
Trannytuner
Tetrode

Hi All
I eventually got round to replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the Philips L3G03T radio as suggested, and what a difference, the radio now plays at full volume, and is a lot more sensitive, another nice one to add to my collection.
I would like to convey my sincere thanks to everyone who offered help and advice on here.
Moderator can you please close the thread, thank you.
Les
Closed Thread