UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2013, 3:20 pm   #1
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Default Vinyl case shrunk onto Trio scope - help!

Hi all,

I've just added this Trio CO-50 oscilloscope to my website:

Trio CO-50

Trouble is, it's in a vinyl and fabric case, which over the years seems to have shrunk onto it and now has no intention of coming off. The fact that there's the handle sticking up at the top in the middle means there's going to need to be a good 3/4" of leeway to be able to get the case off, am I right?

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I might go about this without damaging either the case or the scope? The case is original and is of historical interest in its own right, so I don't want to damage it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Ed.
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 4:09 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Vinyl case shrunk onto Trio scope - help!

Is it possible to get at the handle fixings? to remove handle.
John.
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 4:28 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

You could try warming the case gently with a hair dryer, most vinyls soften and become supple with heat, you might then be able to gently ease the cover off.
Please let us know how it goes. Chris
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 11:44 pm   #4
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Thanks gents for your ideas so far.

John - unfortunately not - there are no fasteners visible on the handle, so I'm pretty sure it's bolted on from the inside. The case is actually so tight that even if the handle wasn't there, it still wouldn't move.

Chris - sounds good, I'll take a hairdryer to it and report back.

Ed.
Closed Thread