UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2015, 1:12 pm   #21
BottleMan
Tetrode

Default Re: 1960 Vauxhall (and Ford) 3 valve MW/LW 12v car radio

Gentlemen

While waiting for someone to answer my question, I tried a bank of four white LEDs (horrors!), edge-lighting a new Perspex dial. This fed from the same point as the lamp at 15mA per LED. I then changed the parallel resistor to get half the radio's input voltage at the lower filaments. It does look quite good, so I'm sticking with it.
I then powered the radio up and found that the vibrator was dead. I took it apart and found that the contacts were beyond repair. Read up what other people had done and I decided that I should make a solid state replacement. I had some Unitrode (now TI) parts from some previous work and some PMOS FETs and I made up a circuit on a piece of Veroboard that just fits in the vibrator case. I'm about to test it. Wish me luck.

Graham
Closed Thread