UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2015, 5:27 pm   #1
Andrew2
Nonode

Default A little Dansette.

I came across this Dansette Medway AM/FM radio in a bric-a-brac shop in town the other day. It was filthy, coated in nicotine and grime, but I could see that underneath it all it was in pretty sound condition - no chips or cracks and all knobs etc present. It dates from the mid/late 60's, I think.

Construction is solid and sturdy, with almost everything secured with nuts, bolts and hex stand-offs. To my surprise, none of the pillar bushes were crumbling and the two transparent plastic knobs showed no sign of the dreaded crumbling.

After easing out the large, rectangular PCB, I dismantled the cabinet into its various parts, only struggling to release the two horrible spring clips that were holding the front metal escutcheon in place. They are the type that are simply forced down over a protruding peg, and they grip like Billy-O. Is there a tool for getting these darned things off? Anyhow, once I'd given everything a good scrub in warm soapy water (an old toothbrush helped shift the muck from the speaker grill), it looked amazingly nice for what it is.

A quick re-alignment of MW and the IF stages (it had had the attention of the Phantom Twizzer by the look of it) produced fairly decent performance on MW. FM does not work and it's staying that way, as the FM front end is lurking beneath the tuning drum. I can detect no sign of local osc activity from the FM department, so I'll leave it to itself.

Another one for the shelf!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette Medway1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	114671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette Medway2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	114672  
Old 24th Oct 2015, 10:18 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: A little Dansette.

Interesting looking beast. Looks like it could have shared its case with a portable cassette recorder.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Oct 2015, 10:27 pm   #3
Stuart R
Heptode

I'm sure I've just seen a very similar set on Channel 4 this evening.

"It was alright in the 80s" has been showing clips of the 'Protect & Survive' films.

SR

It's about to appear on Ch 4+1, so will check!

Last edited by Stuart R; 24th Oct 2015 at 10:31 pm. Reason: Spelling & repeat alert.
Old 26th Oct 2015, 9:28 am   #4
jonnybear
Octode

I find the easiest way to get those clips off is to carefully bend one of the lugs with a tiny screwdriver, this allows them to slide off posts easily, the lug can be bent back into shape with pointed nose pliers for reassembly.
John
Old 26th Oct 2015, 10:45 am   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

Thanks John - that's exactly the way I did it! There must be an 'official' way of tackling these things, or are they meant to be one-off, permanent fasteners?

Last edited by Andrew2; 26th Oct 2015 at 10:46 am. Reason: fat fingers
Old 28th Oct 2015, 1:00 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

F.Y.I.

A few years later the same style radio appeared on the market but with MW & LW bands and was made in Hong Kong.

It was named:"Internet Mark-Ten"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Internet Mark-Ten (Dansette Medway JR95 Clone).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	114871  
Old 28th Oct 2015, 6:03 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

Well blow me down - and what a choice of name!
Old 31st Oct 2015, 6:01 pm   #8
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: A little Dansette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
…struggling to release the two horrible spring clips that were holding the front metal escutcheon in place. They are the type that are simply forced down over a protruding peg, and they grip like Billy-O. Is there a tool for getting these darned things off?
sexton_mallard had a question about these clips, recently. And neon indicator proposed a tool in this thread, back in 2011.

Good work on the Dansette, btw!
Closed Thread