UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2010, 10:01 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Which PYE Black Box is this?

The amplifier is a BBH Mk2, but the rcord deck fitted is an early BSR 'Monarch' 3 speed Autochanger with the overarm on the opposite side to the Pickup arm, and a rotary knob for speed change, the 'Off-Man-Auto' knob being concentric with this. The deck plate is cream, with gold color* PU arm and overarm like the later UA8.

(*According to this PC's spellchecker, the U.S. spelling is the correct one!)

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 9th Apr 2010 at 10:07 pm. Reason: To correct errors in spelling and description
Old 9th Apr 2010, 10:37 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Which PYE Black Box is this?

Sounds like the BSR UA6 changer, if it has a cream baseplate, and concentric control knobs. Could someone in the past have put a later arm (from a UA8) on it? Are they interchangeable, does anyone know? Would a photo be possible, them we can say definately if this is the case.

Barry
Old 14th Apr 2010, 10:24 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Barry, I must have been half asleep when I typed my first post- the PU arm is CREAM with a gold 'Pye' trademark on top at the pivot end, so the deck is a UA6. My only excuse is that the player is in another place, so wasn't within sight when I posed the question!!
Old 14th Apr 2010, 10:45 am   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
It sounds like the second model with the ultra linear amp and will date from late 1955 up to '58 possibly.
Does it look like this one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04880.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	34484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04881.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	34485  
Old 14th Apr 2010, 11:52 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Trevor- THose pictures are spot-on. It is the MkII version with the Ultra Linear Amplifier(BBH2 )which has an ECC83 and two EL42s, with an EZ40 rectifier valve. At some point the original cartridge was replaced with an ACOS GP93, so, once I've replaced the Hunts Capacitors, and several out of tolerance resistors it should sound great.
Closed Thread