UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2019, 9:02 pm   #61
LyntonP
Hexode

Default Re: Restoration novice. Philips B3G63A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Disconnect from mains. Temporarily unsolder the wires from the 2 stator sections of the tuning capacitor (the rotors are usually connected to chassis so you don't need to disconnect those). Then put a multimeter continuity tester (preferably one with the beeper) with one probe on the stator contact and the other on chassis. Good eyesight and a bright lamp will help. Cheers, Jerry
Good idea Jerry I have a multimeter but the eyesight may be a struggle!
Cheers Lynton
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:16 am   #62
Sideband
Dekatron

If the worst comes to the worst, I may still have a good tuning gang from a scrapped set. Should be easy enough to clear any shorting plates though.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 3:09 pm   #63
LyntonP
Hexode

Well I think I have rectified the fault with the tuning capacitor. I tried looking with a bright lamp and a magnifying glass but could not see any obvious points of contact. I took a thin piece of card and slotted it between the vanes one by one again with no success. I was about to give up (very cold in the shed at 10.30pm), When I noticed th tiniest spot of something? Resting between the end of two of the vanes. I removed it with some very fine tweezers and hey presto the radio functioned correctly. I’m not sure what the object was as it was too small to examine even with the magnifying glass. In order to acces the tuning capacitor the bracket that holds the ferrite rod aerial has to be removed and unfortunately I broke one of the connecting wires. But it was simple to solder back in place. The radio now functions well.
Thanks again for the help
Lynton
Old 4th Jan 2019, 3:15 pm   #64
LyntonP
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
If the worst comes to the worst, I may still have a good tuning gang from a scrapped set. Should be easy enough to clear any shorting plates though.
Do you have any other parts left over from the scrapped set? The two wire tubes that guide the tuning cord for the FM section are damaged on my radio. I have effected a temporary repair and been on the lookout for some small plastic tube to replace them with as I assume that direct replacements are no longer available?
Lynton
Old 4th Jan 2019, 3:32 pm   #65
LyntonP
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Disconnect from mains. Temporarily unsolder the wires from the 2 stator sections of the tuning capacitor (the rotors are usually connected. Cheers, Jerry
Looked at this but the wires are soldered at the bottom of the capacitor and covered with thick insulation. I think I would have to completely remove the capacitor to get access?
Lynton
Old 4th Jan 2019, 3:47 pm   #66
paulsherwin

No need to do this if you have cleared the fault.
Closed Thread