UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2021, 11:49 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Ferguson 51K5.

I'm giving the set's PCB a lookover before it is dispatched to it's new owner.
The set was last used in 1994.
The board looks to be in excellent condition.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51K5_1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	246740  
Old 27th Nov 2021, 1:23 pm   #2
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson 51K5.

It actually does look great, especially seeing as it was all the way back in 1994 that it was last used.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 1:09 am   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Found quite few dry soldering joints which have been dealt with.
Hopefully, I haven't missed any.
So the time came to take a chance and for the first time after twenty-seven years out of use the set was switched on.
The channel indicator showed the figure 1, but no activity on the screen.
Mea culpa, forgot to reconnect the scan coil plug. Switch on again, voila! A snowstorm on the screen.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51K5_Snow.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	246970  
Old 30th Nov 2021, 1:16 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

This looks like the era when they used Rifa caps (white) as suppressors on the mains i/p. I recently changed them on three Thomson -based sets I brought out of storage after about 12 years.
The first one let go and filled the workshop with acrid smoke!
Old 30th Nov 2021, 1:46 am   #5
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Found quite few dry soldering joints which have been dealt with.
Hopefully, I haven't missed any.
So the time came to take a chance and for the first time after twenty-seven years out of use the set was switched on.
The channel indicator showed the figure 1, but no activity on the screen.
Mea culpa, forgot to reconnect the scan coil plug. Switch on again, voila! A snowstorm on the screen.

DFWB.
Amazing. For an ICC5 and after 27 years, Were they really all that bad Eh? Cant wait to get it over here and share some pics of it in action. Fine sets these Fergusons..or at that stage I believe their slogan was Ferguson...Stronger Ideas.

I'll replace the RIFA cap once its over, I bought a bunch of them for £1 on eBay. Not risking filling the room with smoke, the stench is even worse than the smoke. When the WIMA in my IKC2 let go the smell took a full week to get rid of.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 11:00 am   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Should have been Ferguson - Stranger Ideas!
Hope the 59P7 is as good - however I always found the 21" versions to be far more reliable. As far as I remember mine was working around ten years ago when I changed it for the customer. It had a slight E/W fault which was either a dry joint or junky pot as it jumped out when you touched the chassis.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 11:53 am   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The 51K5 employs the 21" 45AX CRT which has 110degree scanning so the timebase circuits are almost the same as the 59P7.
The set was allowed to run over an extended period and then went into standby. Panic stations! Pressing the channel up and down buttons didn't return the set into operation. Then it was realised the channel up button has to be depressed for three seconds or so.
Although disliked by many technicians there is a lot of clever circuits in the ICC5 chassis. Noteworthy is the frame timebase which creates the sawtooth waveform by integrating line pulses from the transformer.

DFWB.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 12:32 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

I agree. Those designers were a clever bunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
I'll replace the RIFA cap once its over, I bought a bunch of them for £1 on eBay. Not risking filling the room with smoke, the stench is even worse than the smoke.
I hope I misread that, and you didn't buy "new" RIFA caps to replace the old to avoid the risk of filling the room with smoke.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 12:44 pm   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

I recently repaired a Ferguson Music centre which had suffered from a Rifa burn up, it was on top of the mains transformer and had really burned out violently .
The owner had kept if for sentimental reasons but had assumed it was "burnt out beyond repair" due to the amount of smoke. I wonder how many appliances have been taken to the tip for the sake of a flambecap?

In the case of the ICCxx range some engineers would say the best thing for it would be to set fire to it !
Old 30th Nov 2021, 1:10 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I believe that TV receivers equipped with the !CC5 chassis were introduced into the continental marketplace in 1986 so by the time it was introduced to the UK it was a well understood design for the Ferguson team to customise for UK requirements.
Picture quality was always excellent.
The 51K5 we're discussing here comes with the correct remote control handset which has the function change switch on the side of the case.

DFWB.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 2:14 pm   #11
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Should have been Ferguson - Stranger Ideas!
Hope the 59P7 is as good - however I always found the 21" versions to be far more reliable. As far as I remember mine was working around ten years ago when I changed it for the customer. It had a slight E/W fault which was either a dry joint or junky pot as it jumped out when you touched the chassis.
Im sure the 59P7 will be fine, I'll check it out for dry joints once its arrives, i expect it'l be similar to the 51K5 and there will be a few dry joints to tend to. Its departed the UK this morning so perhaps by tomorrow afternoon it'l be here.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 2:15 pm   #12
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I agree. Those designers were a clever bunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
I'll replace the RIFA cap once its over, I bought a bunch of them for £1 on eBay. Not risking filling the room with smoke, the stench is even worse than the smoke.
I hope I misread that, and you didn't buy "new" RIFA caps to replace the old to avoid the risk of filling the room with smoke.
Of course not, I bought some X2 Panasonic Caps to replace with.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 2:18 pm   #13
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I wonder how many appliances have been taken to the tip for the sake of a flambecap?

In the case of the ICCxx range some engineers would say the best thing for it would be to set fire to it !
I imagine alot of the ICC stuff along with the IKC2 would have been disposed of once the room filled with smoke, people would naturally assume its toast.

Last edited by IKC2E51R8; 30th Nov 2021 at 2:23 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 2:23 pm   #14
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The 51K5 employs the 21" 45AX CRT which has 110degree scanning so the timebase circuits are almost the same as the 59P7.
The set was allowed to run over an extended period and then went into standby. Panic stations! Pressing the channel up and down buttons didn't return the set into operation. Then it was realised the channel up button has to be depressed for three seconds or so.
Although disliked by many technicians there is a lot of clever circuits in the ICC5 chassis. Noteworthy is the frame timebase which creates the sawtooth waveform by integrating line pulses from the transformer.

DFWB.
I've two IKC2 sets and they do that too, if theres no pic, it shuts down after about 10 mins and to get it back you have to hold Program + on the front for a few seconds.

My other IKC2 has a problem where if its left in standby for more than half an hour, the red LED will go dim and the set will refuse to come out of standby, the temporary cure is to leave it unplugged for about an hour and then try again and immediatly bring it out of standby. I Havn't actually gone looking for the fault, i'll have to at some stage.
Old 1st Dec 2021, 12:01 pm   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Sssh - we made a few pounds from holding the P+ button in, not just on these but on aand some Toshibas too! Then it was time for some acting, removing and refitting plugs and re-tuning so the customer didn't feel stupid for not knowing what to do (and to justify the call-out charge).
Old 1st Dec 2021, 1:10 pm   #16
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Sssh - we made a few pounds from holding the P+ button in, not just on these but on aand some Toshibas too! Then it was time for some acting, removing and refitting plugs and re-tuning so the customer didn't feel stupid for not knowing what to do (and to justify the call-out charge).
I wonder was it a charactaristic of Toshiba Micro's at the time that they needed to be essentially 'woken' up by holding the button in. Seems to be an intresting charactaristic of some sets back then, did any of the other ICC's have this issue I wonder, When I had the ICC9 set i dont remember having that problem, though it had a few other issues
Old 1st Dec 2021, 4:05 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Off-screen picture taken earlier today. The 51K5 is connected to a DVD player via the SCART socket.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51K5_pic.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	247076  
Old 1st Dec 2021, 4:53 pm   #18
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Amazing, I cant wait to see it in person, Picture on it looks great.

The 59P7 That Glyn gave me arrived today and arrived in one piece, Havnt powered it on yet, have just finished tending to some dry joints in it
Closed Thread