UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2021, 7:02 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Combined output-and-power-rectifier valves.

These seem to have been a US-specific thing - the earliest I can come across is the 12A7 which gave an amazing 550 Milliwatts of audio output; later came the 25A7, 32L7, 70A7, 70L7, 117M7, 117N7, 117P7 - some of which could give a couple of Watts of output.

They were used in a number of US 'midget' radios - but never seemed to catch on in the UK. Given that they could have significantly reduced the cost of a minimalist AD/DC radio - something which would have helped sales in the depression-era of rhe 1930s - I'm surprised they were not more popular in the UK.

Instead, Europe seemed happier to follow the path of a combined detector-and-high-slope-output-valve [EBL31] but keeping a separate rectifier valve for its poverty-spec radios.

Somewhere I've got a US circuit for a ham-band crystal-controlled transmitter using one of these combined rectifier-and-output valves in a 'transformerless' QRP CW transmitter giving up to 5 Watts of output.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 19th Nov 2021 at 7:09 pm.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 8:12 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Combined output-and-power-rectifier valves.

It certainly seems a sensible pairing, the power rectifier as bottlemates with the high-level signal valve. So there'd be little in the way of hum coupled across, and the low-level diodes sharing another bottle where heat generation is much less, is a good idea.

However, with the trend towards miniaturisation, it might have been difficult to squeeze the rectifier and even a small output pentode in a B9A envelope, so the ULY80 never hit the production lines...
Old 19th Nov 2021, 8:21 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Don't think it would have been practical with B9A valves. Imagine something like a UL84 crammed in with a UY85 on a B9A base. It would have got very hot.

Octal might have been better...a 35L6 and a 35Z4 perhaps....
Old 19th Nov 2021, 8:32 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

The 117XX valves were really only useful for single valve record players and the odd battery/mains set where more audio power was available when mains operated.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Nov 2021, 9:31 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I agree, I think the intended market was record players. There's quite a well known pantry transmitter design using a 117L7, though it's not much use in 220/240V countries.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:13 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

I'm sure that they'd have done it if they reckoned they'd get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
So there'd be little in the way of hum coupled across,
I wonder just how far this could be pushed though, with mains on one base pin and a high impedance signal grid connection on another, even if placed diametrically opposite. A pinchless octal (or similar broad base with good pin spacing) would probably be the best bet! Especially with 200+ VAC supplies, the US market was famous for getting away with a lot and thrifting to the bone.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:47 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

Good point! The ULY80 will either have a top-cap grid, or a top-cap rectifier anode. (Thoughts on relative merits welcomed!)
Old 20th Nov 2021, 2:17 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Given that, pretty much by definition, this putative valve would be for low-cost mass-market radios, the length of screened wire for a top-cap grid and its extra preparation would be a debit point. A rectifier anode connection would only need to be plain wire and the rectifier is likely to be near the dropper anyway, so could be just a short above-chassis link. Detail stuff, but the sort of thing a production engineer would be taking into account.
Old 21st Nov 2021, 5:31 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Interesting comments.... the market-segment I was imagining for such a valve was the 'small bedside/kitchen radio' or record-player - where lots of audio really isn't needed [a typical modern solid-state radio aimed at this niche has at most 1 Watt of audio power and I remember some record-players got along quite happily using a pair of OC81 transistors as the output-stage....].

So you could get away with the audio stage being something like the EL91 or the power-side of the ECL80 [or the ECL82 if you must go QRO!] and the HT rectifier would only need to produce something like 50ma for the entire radio.

40mA at 200V for the audio valve, at 50%%-efficiency Class-A that's eight watts of input - should be good for 3 Watts of audio out. Leaving 10mA for the RF/IF stages.

Bearing in mind that this putative valve would be part of a series-heater string, I'd also design for the heater to be a high-voltage one; 100mA heater-chain - Watts used to heat the cathode are not Watts profligately wasted in a dropper resistor.
Old 21st Nov 2021, 5:48 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

Quite a few mains/battery receivers across the pond used a valve from the 117xx series, here's some Detrola schematics that show the 117M7:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...1/M0004011.pdf

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 21st Nov 2021 at 6:00 pm. Reason: word change
Old 29th Nov 2021, 7:06 am   #11
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

There are also combinations of beam power tubes and damper diodes, like the 38HE7: https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/123/3/38HE7.pdf

The damper diode can (ofcourse) be used as a 'normal' half-wave rectifier.
Old 29th Nov 2021, 12:02 pm   #12
dougietamson
Hexode

I'm slowly going through a large box of valves kindly given to me.

There is a 3A8GT valve, octal with top cap.

Glass octal type used as combined detector, af amplifier, and rf amplifier. The 3A8GT is used for battery-operated receivers with either 1.4 (parallel) or 2.8 (series) volt dc filament supplies.

Free to anyone who wants it.

Doug.
Closed Thread