UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2021, 7:16 pm   #1
Joepole
Diode

Default First Project Ever Ready Sky Leader. Poor performance on MW.

Hello to everyone. I’m new to the forum and to the hobby.
My first project is Sky Leader radio found in a boot sale. The refine and leather strap are in very good condition. I’ve given it a bit of a clean and fed the strap.
The radio wasn’t working but after many hours on the internet doing some research I decided I was ready to give it a go. I cleaned all the moving parts with IPA and replaced the four large electrolytics made by Plessey. The radio has now come life with and seems decent on LW. I can only get one station and a low signal on MW. I did make a video but it wouldn’t upload.
Any suggestions on what I should do next would be very welcome. Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B2B8393-77A1-4553-8778-513BE55351CA.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	244143   Click image for larger version

Name:	411D2FBB-33BF-4C0A-8163-C1F581F07DB5.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	244144  
Old 24th Oct 2021, 10:00 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: First Project Ever Ready Sky Leader. Poor performance on MW.

Hi Joe, welcome to the Forum. You should find some useful tips here https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ltfinding.html . Best of luck with it. Jerry
Old 24th Oct 2021, 11:21 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have found a nice set complete with the often missing strap. Ever Ready's first transistor set.

Sounds like you have cleaned the wave change switch. I would carefully check the wires from the rod aerial. The rod is not broken under the windings is it ? The service information is available top right of this page for £1.99. When referring to parts please say if it is "Trader" or Manufactures sheets you are using. Do you think someone has twiddled with the coils? I would not try adjusting them just look at this stage.

John.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 12:50 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

We had a Sky Leader when I was a kid, it replaced another transistor set that was stolen in a burglary, I think my dad clamed on the insurance. Fearing it might happen again he pasted a large label to the inside of the hinged lid saying "STOLEN FROM" and his name and address, not sure if that was the smartest thing to do.

Anyhow, I used to borrow the set when my dad wasn't around, and take it to my bedroom and listen to the local amateurs on Topband. The rather rudimentary tuning dial masked the slight adjustment I had made to the LO.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 7:15 am   #5
Kentode
Octode

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. Go back to the switch contacts and confirm that there is no blackening and if necessary use a thin piece of card soaked in switch cleaner such as Servisol to gently rub in-between the moving and non-moving contacts (See picture).

When the M.W. button is depressed, make sure that the contacts are touching and if necessary gently adjust by bending.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20211025_070418.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	244165  

BVWS member
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:56 am   #6
Joepole
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Hi Joe, welcome to the Forum. You should find some useful tips here https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ltfinding.html . Best of luck with it. Jerry
Thanks. It’s very useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have found a nice set complete with the often missing strap. Ever Ready's first transistor set.

Sounds like you have cleaned the wave change switch. I would carefully check the wires from the rod aerial. The rod is not broken under the windings is it ? The service information is available top right of this page for £1.99. When referring to parts please say if it is "Trader" or Manufactures sheets you are using. Do you think someone has twiddled with the coils? I would not try adjusting them just look at this stage.

John.
Thanks for he reply John. The switch is fine. I jumped it and it made no difference. I’ve hung about 10m of speaker wire outside and connected to the external aerial connections and that has boosted the signal considerably so I think the problem may be with the aerial and or tuning. How do I tell if the rod is cracked? I don’t have a RF sig gen for tuning so that will have to wait
Old 25th Oct 2021, 1:34 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

How do I tell if the rod is cracked?

Ferrite rods are prone to getting broken as they are brittle. Grasp each end of the rod and Very Gently twist in opposite direction. You should feel movement if
it is broken under the coils. A broken rod can be glued and work perfectly.

The wire from the coils are litz, made up from multiple strands. A break in one or more will have an effect on the signal received.

I have had success with just leaving the set switched on for an hour in a set that has not been used for a long time. I expect this was due to the electrolytic capacitors reforming.

John.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 3:36 pm   #8
paulsherwin

It's possible that the coils have just moved on the ferrite rod. Tune in a weak station and move the MW coil. There should be a very obvious peak in one position.

Looking at your photo, the ferrite rod doesn't look very healthy. Has a chunk broken off on the left hand side?
Old 25th Oct 2021, 4:35 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Your rod appears to be 'bent' snapped. Picture attached of how it should look. Good luck with it. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sky Leader.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	244202  
Old 25th Oct 2021, 5:11 pm   #10
Joepole
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It's possible that the coils have just moved on the ferrite rod. Tune in a weak station and move the MW coil. There should be a very obvious peak in one position.

Looking at your photo, the ferrite rod doesn't look very healthy. Has a chunk broken off on the left hand side?
The rod looks fine but the secondary coil windings are quite loose and scruffy. I can’t rotate it much as the wires won’t let me. There Is though a significant gain when I touch the secondary or the chassis. I’m hesitant to get involved with the coil as the wires are so small and I’m guessing that the number of windings and impedance are quite critical.
With my speaker wire out the window and earthed to some metal railings I can get radio 4 pretty well but there doesn’t seem to be anything else on mw. Long wave is good though.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 5:50 pm   #11
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Your rod appears to be 'bent' snapped. Picture attached of how it should look. Good luck with it. John.
Super Glue works wonders on ferrite rods.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Oct 2021, 1:25 pm   #12
cathoderay57
Nonode

Quote:
The rod looks fine
Really? Comparing your image with the pristine one shown in Post #9 it looks to me as if the left hand end of yours has broken off and the coils are hanging loose. A closer hi-res image would help. Cheers, Jerry
Old 1st Dec 2021, 8:03 pm   #13
Joepole
Diode

It;s been a little while but I had time to finish the radio. The issue with MW not working well was actually LW and vice versa. My rotatational visualisation was mixed up. I decided to have a go at the LW alignment just using my ear as I don't have a sig gen. I tuned into R4 LW and adjusted the trimmer for max vol which made a big difference. I then turned the dial to just past 13 as per the manual where I could hear a single tone. I then adjusted this for max vol and then went back again
Result is loud and clear though a bit harsh across MW with decentish R4 on LW
Thank you for all the comments and suggestions
Closed Thread