UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2021, 6:18 pm   #1
NightShadow1991
Diode

Default Does anyone know what insulation was used in vintage Baby Belling Electric Cookers?

Hi there, I have a small baby belling 52 electric cooker. I was wondering what insulation was used. I'm guessing a fibreglass type, then being 1950s probably asbestos? Can't find details anywhere. Have one and not keen on keeping it if asbestos. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 6:58 pm   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Does anyone know what insulation was used in vintage Baby Belling Electric Cooker

Possibly asbestos.
Low risk if left undisturbed, but suitable precautions should be taken if asbestos internal wiring is to be disturbed.

I would be happy to use a domestic appliance (if otherwise safe) that contained internal asbestos insulated wires.
I would be reluctant to use anything with asbestos wires exposed to touch.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 7:19 pm   #3
NightShadow1991
Diode

Default Re: Does anyone know what insulation was used in vintage Baby Belling Electric Cooker

Update...

I turned it on and the grill works, but smoke began billowing out the side. Left hand side looking at it. So I'm guessing it's either electrical, or insulation. Doubt I can even take to the tip if asbestos internally. Though I thought it would be fire retardant, so maybe fibreglass insulation melting? Don't even know how it would have caught alight as it's all sealed.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 7:29 pm   #4
Station X

Are you sure it's not accumulated dust burning off? Your initial post suggests it's not been used for some time.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 7:35 pm   #5
NightShadow1991
Diode

Could well be, but removed the top a few days ago and cleaned out some dead spiders and cobwebs. Didn't disturb the side walls. I have since let it cool, just work mask, goggles and gloves and had a peek in the side, looks like a yellow blanket type insulation and the top has melted. Closed back up. I have no idea how it melted, as it was tightly screwed up and can't see any holes inside the actual oven. Strange. Shame really as it's in otherwise great condition.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 1:21 pm   #6
broadgage
Nonode

The "yellow blanket like material" sounds to me like glass fiber insulation. This can be melted but requires a temperature much higher than is likely to be achieved in the insulation of a domestic cooking appliance.

Are you certain that it has melted ? Absorbing fat or grease can make it look melted.
Glass fiber is low risk, but be aware that asbestos MIGHT be present on cable insulation or elsewhere in the appliance.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 9:01 pm   #7
its ur aerial
Hexode

All the ones I've seen had Glass Fiber insulation.
As for the smoke, my money would be on a build up of dust and grease, if its being powered up from a supply that's protected by a RCD, you should be fairly safe.
But if you do have access to a Megger, bell it out first and check for any Earth Leakage.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 10:22 pm   #8
paulsherwin

One thing is for certain - if it's asbestos insulation, it won't melt no matter how hot it gets. That's the main reason that asbestos was used in these applications.

As others have said, the smoke could just be decades of cooking filth burning off.
Closed Thread