UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2021, 10:01 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default GPO telegraph sig & galvanometer

I have a galvanometer in very poor condition, which I would like to clean up. Internet gives it different names, " Differential Galvanometer ", " Cathedral signal indicator ", "Type 22a". This one has center zero with 60 to either side. Any experience on how to dismantle and how it was used, of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG6109a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	241887  
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 12:47 pm   #2
Gridiron
Heptode

Default Re: GPO telegraph sig & galvanometer

Normally there is a thumbscrew on the back near the top. Remove it and the hood with the glass in it can be carefully tilted forwards, this is located by 2 pins on the base section.
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 2:01 pm   #3
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default Re: GPO telegraph sig & galvanometer

Hello Gridiron, thank you for reply and yes I had done that. So that is how I knew to ask for help. As the needle/pointer is stuck, the small screws really tight and the pivot, near pocket-watch delicate, I hesitate to proceed. In the past GPO telephones had engineering instruction for dismantling/calibrating such things, even with exploded views.
How the ( telegraph ? ) line was connected ( from underneath ? ) and it's intended use also of interest. many thanks . Cliff.
Closed Thread