UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2021, 2:37 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Best Soldering Iron 2021

After many years of faultless service my Tenma Digital Soldering Station appears to have given up the ghost and refuses to reach operating temperatures!

What's the current recommendations for a temperature controlled soldering station?

Last edited by DonaldStott; 3rd Jul 2021 at 2:46 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:26 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Best Soldering Iron 2021

Depends on how much you're prepared to pay. I've recently bought a Metcal GT90, but it wasn't cheap by a long chalk.

I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives.

Craig
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:59 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Metcal! S/H if you can get one.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 6:22 pm   #4
Keith956
Heptode

I recently bought a Hakko FX-888D. It's proving to be a great little iron, heats up quick and doesn't take up too much bench space.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 7:34 pm   #5
Outrun_uk
Heptode

I’ve got some Metcal SP200 base units available for £40 + £10 post but no irons or tips unfortunately.

Kev
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 8:08 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Back in April, form member BrianAllen started a thread on soldering stations and in post #8 of that thread, I gave details of the 'KSGER' V2.1S T12 Digital Temperature-Controlled Soldering Station, which appears to be a clone of the Hakko stations, and seems to be quite well regarded. I'd wondered if anyone had first-hand experience of owning and using one and was able to provide some objective feedback, good or bad, (rather than subjective opinions by those who don't own one).

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=178728

In post #18, Brian stated that he'd ordered one, and in post #23, that when it arrived, he'd give an update.

Given that it has to come from 'the Orient' maybe it hasn't yet arrived?

It would be helpful if anyone who does have one of these machines could comment, as all in all, from online 'teardown reviews', performance and spec wise, along with the availability of a wide range of tips, it looks like a good buy for hobbyist use.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 9:59 pm   #7
g4wim_tim
Pentode

Metcal - expensive but well worth it.

I've had antex and tcp wellers etc but nothing comes close to a Metal, they maintain their tip temperature very accurately even with a large thermal load.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 10:13 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

JBC!! But they are probably more than a Metcal...

Regards
Lloyd
Old 4th Jul 2021, 8:24 am   #9
Whaam68
Hexode

Another vote for the Hakko FX888D ….looks like a toy but very solid in the flesh. A definite step up in quality over my previous Chinese station. There are millions of Chinese fakes of this model so I ordered from the uk importer HK Wentworth to get the real deal.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 10:18 am   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I bought a S/H Metcal MX500P with handpiece and tips around 3 years ago and am very pleased with it. I paid a LOT less than the £1200 MRRP.
The tips cost around £12- £20 each. I was surprised at how quick they heated 10 seconds, a little longer for larger tips.
No adjustment or calibration needed it is all in the tip.

John.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 10:31 am   #11
gingpeakin
Hexode

I've got a JBC CD-2B and I really like the way it lowers it's temp when it's in the holder and turns right down if not used for a while - I'm always leaving it on all day. the tips are a bit expensive but the can chuck out an enormous amount of heat if you need it. After years of Weller TCP irons it's a real treat.

Ging
Old 4th Jul 2021, 11:13 am   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Same with the new metcal's (GT90 and GT120). There is a motion sensor in the handle. After a preset time (default 5 minutes) it knocks the temperature down to 200C. As soon as you pick it up, it takes a few seconds to get back to your settable operating temperature.

After a default 10 minutes it goes into standby and turns the heater off. Any front panel button push heats it back up (~20 seconds to set temperature).

All these are adjustable.

Craig
Old 4th Jul 2021, 11:34 am   #13
Radio tirana
Pentode

Hi Donald, I would highly recommend a Metcal. I have used them at work for years and was so impressed Had to get one for home use. I managed to get a secondhand SP200 base unit and handle, you don't need a huge selection of bits, I find a 738 tip lasts for ages and I can tackle everything from tiny surface mount components to large jobs like removing screening cans with it.

Kind regards RT
Old 4th Jul 2021, 1:20 pm   #14
Pamphonica
Nonode

Another vote for Metcal! The proper base has a magnet in it that affects the temperature sensing and puts the iron into low power mode whan parked. The hand-grip is nice and close to the tip so fine work is a joy. As the heating is RF, only at the tip, the shaft of the iron runs relatively cool And it does heat up in 10 secs when removed from the stand. Also, the heat it can produce is amazing. An ultra-fine 1mm tip for smd work can (if required) also melt solder from capacitor mounting tags! Get an MX-500 secondhand and don't look back. And keep an eye out for the matching solder tweezers - incredibly simple to use when repairing smd boards.
-Jeremy
Old 4th Jul 2021, 1:42 pm   #15
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
After many years of faultless service, my Tenma Digital Soldering Station appears to have given up the ghost and refuses to reach operating temperatures!

What's the current recommendations for a temperature controlled soldering station?
Donald- can't help on a new iron, but being tight-fisted from "doun the water", I had similar with my old Weller. Problem turned out to be the magnetic sensor. I bypassed it and the iron has a second life for "quick" solder jobs.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 11:35 am   #16
Sinewave
Octode

Oki/Metcal, never could go back to a Weller after using one of these.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 2:50 pm   #17
JonSnell
Hexode

Metcal everytime. Weller is a poor second choice.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 5:47 pm   #18
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Back in April, form member BrianAllen started a thread on soldering stations and in post #8 of that thread, I gave details of the 'KSGER' V2.1S T12 Digital Temperature-Controlled Soldering Station, which appears to be a clone of the Hakko stations, and seems to be quite well regarded. I'd wondered if anyone had first-hand experience of owning and using one and was able to provide some objective feedback, good or bad, (rather than subjective opinions by those who don't own one).
I don't own one, but I've seen discussions on other forums about them, invariably, favourable.

B
Old 13th Nov 2021, 3:40 pm   #19
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
After many years of faultless service my Tenma Digital Soldering Station appears to have given up the ghost and refuses to reach operating temperatures!

If you don't want to splash out close to £280 for a new Metcal and you enjoyed using your Tenma, get another!

For about £85 the 80 watt version, which I have, is good for discrete PCB work plus you can whack it up to 450C for grounding to the chassis.

Hope this helps.

BVWS member
Old 13th Nov 2021, 5:08 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

Be aware that there are different families of Metcal irons.

The 500 family are the RF heated ones and use curie temperature caused change of VSWR to regulate the temperature. The base can give up to 50W at 13.5MHz up silicone insulated 75 Ohm coax to the hand piece. There is a matching (bad pun) directional power meter accessory so you can see how hard you are working it, and when it's up to temperature.

Then Metcal introduced a simpler family which is not compatible, or quite as good because the price was limiting sales of the 500. I don't think the 200 family are RF heated.

David