UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:00 am   #1
HoverJohn
Pentode

Default Garrard RC88 Motor Hum.

I’m getting a noticeable motor or bearing hum as soon as the needle hits the in run to the tracks does anyone know any good tricks to reduce this. I’m guessing after 60 years the rubber disc on the garrard rc88 has hardened up a bit. Any good damper mat suggestions??
Sounds like a quiet mains motor hum.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 6:15 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard RC88 Motor Hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverJohn View Post
I’m getting a noticeable motor or bearing hum as soon as the needle hits the in run to the tracks does anyone know any good tricks to reduce this. I’m guessing after 60 years the rubber disc on the garrard rc88 has hardened up a bit. Any good damper mat suggestions??
Sounds like a quiet mains motor hum.
It could also be the motor suspension which if it is rubber grommets they too have probably gone hard.
Old 4th Dec 2021, 10:27 am   #3
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok I will check those out too.
Old 4th Dec 2021, 11:01 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Can we assume that until the pick up meets the record's grooves, there is no intrusive noise emanating directly from the motor?
Old 5th Dec 2021, 4:24 pm   #5
HoverJohn
Pentode

Yes this is the rewound original mono variluctance unit with stereo compatible needle only the needle is touching (the picture has reflection on it so it’s not that clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6BB62B7-E185-43C2-8E52-70EAE297A78C.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	247329  
Old 5th Dec 2021, 4:38 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That just does not look right. The tonearm looks too heavy and I can't see the stylus cantilever at all.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 4:42 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm probably talking rubbish here but does the RC88 have a mute switch during changing?
If it does the hum may not be apparent before the switch opens as the stylus meets the record.
My thoughts are hum picked up between the motor and and the pick-up coil. Due to the very low output of the variluctance pick up is it possible there is a wiring phase fault with the hum bucking coil, that is if it has one. Just ideas into the pot. John.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 6:34 pm   #8
HoverJohn
Pentode

Thanks for all the input I’ve got a bit more info while I wait for the gold stripe paint to dry on the radio tuner glass… the hum stops the second you lift the needle and starts again the moment it’s on the vinyl/shelac and the pickup is variluctance so the needle isn’t cantelever as the iron bit has to stay between the coil cores pic of needle below. It does sound the same frequency as the motor. Like it’s being physically transferred through the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DE5B496-17D6-462A-885D-6EC2F8495656.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	247332  
Closed Thread