UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2021, 11:47 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Is this a Clapp AF oscillator in an RF sig gen circuit?

Thanks, Peter.

It's a right dog's breakfast. Probably created by empirical bodgery and a little evolution as they kept it. Rather a nasty modulator, but enough to find breaks in signal flow in receivers.

David
Old 27th Nov 2021, 12:07 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
I think the key thing to take into account is that the transistor is best considered as a voltage controlled current source for this particular circuit. The voltage isn't inverted (180degrees) at the collector because the load is inductive. If there was only the AF choke there and no feedback the collector voltage would be 90degrees out of phase with the phase of the base voltage when driven with a 400Hz signal.
That's food for thought!

Considered very crudely, from transistor base to transistor collector, there's a phase shift of 90 degrees which is relatively independent of frequency (though the gain will rise steadily with frequency).

For oscillation we need a total of 180 degrees, so the two CR stages must supply the extra 90 degrees. That's 45 degrees each.

The rate of change of phase shift with frequency, for a CR stage, is at its steepest at 45 degrees (at low frequencies it's almost constant at 90 degrees each, and at high frequencies it's almost constant at zero), so it could be said that this circuit has its frequency determined by the CR values, and moreover it's a bit more stable than the 'traditional' 3-stage CR phase-shift oscillator where each stage has to contribute about 60 degrees.

All the above is very crude, it completely ignores the loading effect of any CR stage on the one before (or on the inductor), so it is highly approximate.

Last edited by kalee20; 27th Nov 2021 at 12:12 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 27th Nov 2021, 1:53 pm   #23
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

I hope this isn’t a silly question but why is a Wien Oscillator not used in this sort of application?
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:16 pm   #24
kalee20
Dekatron

Because it needs a non-inverting amplifier? So, two transistors are needed. And at the time, they were more expensive than the odd transformer.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:36 pm   #25
Radio Wrangler

The Wien bridge oscillator also relies on better level control, usually by a thermistor, and the fast acting bead in an evacuated bulb type were dearer than transistors.

David
Old 28th Nov 2021, 1:40 am   #26
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Is this a Clapp AF oscillator in an RF sig gen circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
What is ELI the ICE man?
ELI the ICE man is used to remember the relationship between current and voltage in an inductor and capacitor.
I've always used CIVIL; (I find that a much easier mnemonic to remember.)
C = capacitance; L = inductance; V = voltage; I = current.
Study the sequence of the letters: For C, I is before V. If I comes after V, then L.
Thus for C, I leads V; for L, I lags V, therefore V leads I.
(First met 'CIVIL' when studying for ONC Electrical Eng.at college in 1968; have been using it ever since.)

Al.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 2:51 am   #27
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Good one, thanks! It's the first time I've heard of the CIVIL alternative.

I agree CIVIL is much easier to remember and much easier to work with.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 7:30 pm   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Is this a Clapp AF oscillator in an RF sig gen circuit?

Looking at the rate of posts made to this thread, seems that it is reaching its end. So before it does, just a few concluding remarks relevant to my previous post.

[QUOTE=G0HZU_JMR;1428031
I agree CIVIL is much easier to remember and much easier to work with.
[/QUOTE]

Jeremy: I'm pleased that you found that post of mine of value. Your response was indeed more that just civil.
On the odd occasion when I feel I can make a positive contribution to a thread, I like to do so, even if that post gets close to being off-topic.
'Nuff said!

Al. / Nov. 30th.
Closed Thread