UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:27 pm   #1
moondiscs

Default Nakamichi Dragon Cassette deck Power supply question

Hi

I have just acquired a Nakamichi Dragon Cassette deck. Its 240v, but doesn't have a plug attached. I want to install a standard UK 13amp plug, however the power cables from the unit are both black, ie I cannot work out what's Live and what's neutral. Am I ok to just wire them and the unit will work this out? Keen to establish whether the unit works.!

thanks
Old 29th Nov 2021, 12:32 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Nakamichi Dragon Cassette deck Power supply question

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Yes OK to wire them either way, i.e. one to the Live pin and the other to the Neutral pin.

Some countries like USA, Japan, Australia, many European etc sometimes have the 2 black wires in 2 core mains cables.

Both wires connect through to the primary winding of the mains/power transformer via the Power Switch P.C.B. with one of the lines being switched by the main power switch, additionally units that have a mains voltage selection switch (for 120V, 220V & 240V selection) the switched line will pass through the selection switch before ending up at the transformer.

Some people (me included) prefer the switched line to be the Live but technically it does not actually matter.

David
Old 29th Nov 2021, 9:44 am   #3
crohamblues
Triode

Thanks David!
Old 29th Nov 2021, 11:01 am   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Not essential but I personally would replace the 13 Amp fuse in the new mains plug with a lower value, I personally would not go any higher than 5 Amps.

David
Closed Thread