UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2018, 7:43 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Bush VHF61 restoration

It's quite strange how many people [of all ages] come to the Forum with the notion that changing lots of components is the way to go. I can only assume that it's from watching You Tube or maybe audio equipment restorations where the person carrying out the work is so familiar and experienced that they can get away with it and also actually trace any problems they've create from that themselves. I've never read anything re servicing/fault finding that said "first change all these as a matter of course". It wouldn't work on a car or in medicine would it-you have to figure out what may be wrong first Less is more sprdsht!

Dave w

Last edited by dave walsh; 10th Aug 2018 at 7:52 pm.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 11:42 pm   #22
martin.m
Hexode

It would be a good idea to read up on how valves work and the sort of voltages they need on their electrodes. It can be difficult to find the cause of a fault if you don't have a basic understanding of how something works. A circuit diagram would be a great help as well. Failing that, valve data, either a book or from the Internet, will tell you what each valve's pin connections are. With practice you will be able to fault find logically. As others have said, start from the power supply and work back through the audio stages, then to the IF and RF circuits.

Old capacitors are certainly a problem in vintage equipment but many faults are caused by resistors changing value or going open circuit. Good luck with your new hobby and please follow the advice on safety given by other members.

Regards
Martin
Old 11th Aug 2018, 10:02 am   #23
PaulR
Dekatron

As Sam has already said, desoldering the old caps can be difficult. Snipping them off and soldering the new one to the remains of the old leads is certainly an option and will avoid damage to the valve holders.

If you are going to take up radio restoration as a hobby you might like to think of getting a desoldering station at some point. I struggled for years using solder wick and deslodering pumps then eventually bought one of these http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d006...BoCrfwQAvD_BwE

They are quite expensive but they do make the job very much easier and I wouldn't be without mine now. Something for a future Christmas present maybe?