UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2016, 1:00 pm   #21
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Pam TB77

Hi John
It seems there are several different manufacturers of the AC142 transistor and as a consequence connections may differ looking at my towers, jaeger, and eca books. Have you a analogue meter of any type?, as I find it easier to check a transistor with one of these. If you disconnect the leads from the transistor
looking at the transistor leads at the base connections are emitter, base, collector, with meter set to ohms x 10, place the red probe on the base lead, black probe on the emitter and then the collector, you should have a reading, then place the black lead on the base lead and then the red probe on the emitter and the the collector there should be no reading. check this and get back.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04452.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	121573  
Old 16th Mar 2016, 6:02 pm   #22
crackle
Rest in Peace

The noise you describe before in post 11 could be "motorboating" have you checked C20 100uf electrolytic?

Mike
Old 19th Mar 2016, 5:34 pm   #23
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all. The Pam TB77 is now going and power output section stabilised. I changed all 'wax' capacitors, removed the AC142s and installed AC188s in their place. Thanks to everyone on the Forum for their help and information. All the best. John. ? I have only just now, seen 'reply posts' from John (jonnybear) and Mike (crackle). C20 was first capacitor I changed. I check ? all transistors before installing them. Being used to valves, transistors lead to much head scratching for the unwary such as I. Thanks again. John.

Last edited by longneck90; 19th Mar 2016 at 5:57 pm.
Closed Thread