UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2015, 9:15 am   #1
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Default Lamp Limiter

One Lamp Limiter made mainly by my daughter and very little by myself but it does work. So I can see I will be creating a new User name and Password soon for the one doing most of the work. God bless little girls who go on to learn electrics.. Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2en.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	102195  
Old 1st Jan 2015, 9:53 am   #2
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: Lamp Limiter

She looks to be quite handy with woodwork as well

Richard, BVWS member
Old 1st Jan 2015, 10:52 am   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Lucky Fellow, I can only imagine the reply if I asked my daughters to help. Nails, and not the woodworking variety, Mess! what they make all the time, and going out. Better to do it myself.

Happy new year to all, John.
Old 1st Jan 2015, 12:24 pm   #4
paulsherwin

That's a lot more sophisticated than mine! Glad you got it sorted out anyway.
Old 1st Jan 2015, 12:52 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

Lovely job!
Old 1st Jan 2015, 1:01 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Flo must have been delighted..J.
Old 1st Jan 2015, 1:20 pm   #7
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Very nice!

Colin
Old 1st Jan 2015, 1:23 pm   #8
Andrewausfa
Octode

Nice! How about engraved brass plates for the switch positions? Top job.

Andrew
Old 1st Jan 2015, 2:27 pm   #9
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I will hopefully be becoming a member soon and gleaning as much of your knowledge as I can. Dad said very good and shows your age Heatercathodeshort. Will be back soon in my own right, I hope, no U/N yet.

Laura.
Old 1st Jan 2015, 3:05 pm   #10

I hope she grows up to be a bit like the presenter of this years Christmas Lectures, the best lecture series I have seen in ages. I have met a few (too few, four, which works out as 0.7 per company I have worked for) female engineers in my time, all have been very good. We need more, it's strange that there are a lot more women scientists (the missus being one).

And a note to andycapp's daughter, keep up on the woodwork (metal, clay, anything) it is a good foundation and a lasting pleasure. We have a CAD designer at work who has never made anything, it shows when trying to build the stuff he has designed.

So, carry on making stuff, as you have, super job BTW.

I always keep a notebook, one of the 'Red and Black' A4 types (loose leaf is no good, bits get lost) for any ideas, project notes, circuits etc. both at work and home, must have more than 40 by now.

A sadly departed guitarist friend of mine said "Play any note, if it's good play it more, if it's bad remember not to play it again". Same goes for engineering.

Old 1st Jan 2015, 4:32 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'll second Merlin's post Andy. Excellent to see this, especially in the context of the GW sad news-apprenticeship at the Museum perhaps? You may well appreciate the Xmas lectures thread if you haven't seen it [or the programmes] already.
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Jan 2015 at 4:39 pm.
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 12:38 pm   #12
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Good stuff - one of the least expensive yet most useful pieces of test gear you'll ever own. Any hand made by your own daughter - priceless!
Old 4th Jan 2015, 5:28 pm   #13
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Nice work Laura, engineering is a great job and there are lots more girls going into the profession. Several programmes I've watched recently on the BBC Iplayer have featured women engineers working on projects like Cross-rail as well as for Hi Tech Companies featured on The Learning Zone like Rolls Royce, Aerobus etc. Today a lamp limiter, tomorrow ...?

You must be proud Andy. Just bought my 7 year old daughter her first hammer and screw drivers and a 100 projects snap type electronic set for Xmas. The choice is hers, many girls don't have one.

Sorry, went off topic, but I think you've raised an interesting topic. Back on topic, my Lamp Limiter is part of my mains supply in my shed. wWhen not in use I use a broken bulb with the two terminals shorted, so I can use it as a LL or as a 240v supply- easy to substitute one for the other.

Andy.
Old 13th Jan 2015, 11:30 am   #14
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Default Lamp Limiter

Sadly my Dad didn't get to read some of the last few messages on here, he got bad on new years day and sadly passed away in his sleep on the 7th of January. It makes me extremely proud that I got to make the lamp limiter for him and I will try to do what he wanted and start restoring some of his radios. But it saddens me that he never actually got to see the lamp limiter in action. He got a great deal of enjoyment from talking to like minded people who enjoyed the same thing as him.
Laura.
Old 13th Jan 2015, 1:47 pm   #15
Station X

A new thread has been set up so that forum members can post messages of condolence.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=113012

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread