UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 4:32 pm   #1
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

Default Regentone Handygram circuit help needed

Hello,

I am a newcomer here and in need of some help please !
I have a Regentone Handygram which has cleaned up really nicely and works well with the following issue. There is a green wax covered component that is attached to the volume pot that is overheating and begins to smoke after the unit has been powered for a minute or so. The problem I have is that there are no markings on it, so I have no idea what to replace it with !
I'd be grateful for any help !
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	150606  
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:07 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Regentone Handygram circuit help needed

Hi, that looks like a normal wirewound resistor. They normally run quite hot, but yours looks to have been getting excessively hot or catching on the cables beside it and causing them to smoke.

I don't have the circuit with me, but have any capacitors been changed? If not that may be cause of other parts overheating.

Ed
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:26 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Does the inside look like this with the same number of valves?(link for ID only):

https://picclick.co.uk/REGENTONE-HAN...618965495.html

Lawrence.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:53 pm   #4
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the swift replies 👍
Yes Lawrence, it looks the same as that .
Old 11th Oct 2017, 7:18 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

The two valves are probably a UY85 (rectifier valve) and a UL84 (amplification valve)

The green resistor looks as though it's the rectifier valves surge limiter, under normal conditions these tend to run from quite warm to hot depending on the circuit design.

Sometimes they can emit smoke if the player hasn't been used for a long time, in such circumstances the smoke is usually caused by dust/grease build up on the resistor due to a long period of inactivity.

A fault condition can also cause the resistor to get very hot and emit smoke, usually if there's a fault condition it will manifest it's self as distortion of the sound from the loudspeaker or as an excessive humming noise coming from the loudspeaker.

Lawrence.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 7:54 pm   #6
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again Lawrence,
I have noticed that the heat has caused the plastic on the body of the player to melt which I guess indicates excessive heat is being produced and that there's a fault somewhere.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 8:40 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Do you mean the outside plastic trim around the volume and tone controls under the speaker grill is melted? Are you hearing excessive hum or distortion as raised in Post #5? Also the UY85 does not look seated vertically into its valve holder.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 7:22 pm   #8
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Edward, I've attached a picture to show where the plastic has distorted due to the heat. I'll try reseating the valves and power it up again this evening to check for humming and distortion.
Thanks,
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image19.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	150651  
Old 12th Oct 2017, 10:06 pm   #9
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

OK, I've just powered the player up again after reseating the valves and tidying up some of the wiring. There is no humming or distortion (other than a bit of crackle on the volume pot when turning which I assume is dirt) However after a couple of minutes, something starts to produce smoke, though it is difficult to see which component its coming from as I don't want to run it too long in that state. Any further help would be greatly appreciated
Old 13th Oct 2017, 9:49 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ok, then this might be a fault in the main smoothing capacitor (to the right of the UL84) or its resisitor. If you feel you don't have the skill to undertake this, you could seek help from a member local to you - see the section for this on this site. The amplifier is very simple and should be an easy fix. I would not use this again until repaired.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 1:24 pm   #11
Techman
Dekatron

After it's been run for a short time and something starts to smoke, un-plug the player completely from the mains and feel the aluminium can of the smoothing electrolytic capacitor for any signs of warming - it should feel cold, or perhaps I should say room temperature. If it feels slightly warm, especially after several switch on and offs, then it's likely to be internally electrically leaky and will need replacing - they go off with a bit of a bang if they become very hot due to leakage!
Old 13th Oct 2017, 4:14 pm   #12
snappermart
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the advice chaps !
I'll see if there's someone nearby who might be able to help.
I'm a bit of a tinkerer at heart and keen to learn but due to dangerous voltages in these old players I think I'd best seek some expert help.
Many thanks again to everyone who took the time to post a reply !

Martin
Closed Thread