UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2020, 12:10 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Another Pye Black Box

I've just staggered home with a Pye Black Box

It's valved, a pair of EL42s in the output stage. I've not taken the amplifier out yet so I've not looked at their wiring to see if it's a Mk1 or Mk2.

The autochanger seems to be a BSR Monarch UA8, is that likely? One knob is broken/missing, the motor mounts have sagged. Otherwise looks fine.

Overall it's in pretty good condition, and I think well worth restoring.

Just out of curiousity, what is the approximate value of said player? I don't think I paid over the odds though.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 12:48 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Pye Black Box

These early BBs were fitted with a BSR UA6 deck 3 speed deck. These were specially made and badged for Pye as we specified a metal tone arm. From mid/late 1956 the, then new, UA8 4 speed decks were fitted. What ever one you have may still have the original groove-grinding Acos mono cartridge, but without any photos from you I cannot tell if this have been udated. There were 2 versions of the EL42 amplifier with quite different specifications. The motor suspension can be made good with stacked rubber grommets. As to value - I can't see it yet!
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 3:31 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The deck on mine is certainly a 4 speed. I've not examined the cartridge yet, it may well be one with no vertical compliance.

I thought the differrence between the 2 versions of the EL42-output amplifier was that the Mk1 had the output valves strapped as triodes, the Mk2 had an 'ultralinear' output stage with the screen grids connected to taps on the output transformer. Are there more versions?
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 5:06 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

I restored a Pye BB a while ago, Mk 2 according to circuit diagram, I have attached a few pictures, so perhaps the deck is the same as yours, also a picture of the original cartridge, which I replaced with X5M.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D4419D3-327B-4432-906A-15AC0DD388A3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	221766   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE8FD504-4C4B-42E4-B64E-3E7753F1B4DC.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	221767  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 5:14 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

In answer to your question I bought the BB as a non worker for £10, from forum member, after restoration I’m asking £50. Does this seem about right?
John
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 5:44 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

That does look like the deck in my unit, although the right-hand knob of mine is broken off and missing. Not sure about the cartridge, it is a turnover type though.

I paid £40 for mine which I think is reasonable (so I also think your £50 price after restoration is a bit low).
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 5:52 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
The deck on mine is certainly a 4 speed. I've not examined the cartridge yet, it may well be one with no vertical compliance.

I thought the differrence between the 2 versions of the EL42-output amplifier was that the Mk1 had the output valves strapped as triodes, the Mk2 had an 'ultralinear' output stage with the screen grids connected to taps on the output transformer. Are there more versions?
No, there were no more versions. You you are quite correct, these were the two EL42 amplifier versions - but as I stated, they do have different specifications. In terms of the permutations, the 1954 to 1956 Mk1 and (a lesser run of) Mk2 BBs were fitted with the BSR UA6. From mid/late 1956 the Mk2 was then fitted with a completely standard BSR UA8. From 1958 the Mk3 (PCL83) came with a Garrard deck, but that's nother story and I'll end here!
Old 4th Dec 2020, 10:22 am   #8
wd40addict
Octode

John's picture shows the four speed UA8. Here's a picture of my BB mkii with three speed UA6. Note there are two flavours of UA6, mine has the later style overarm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200421_111720318.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	221813  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 4:02 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

I like the old UA6 - I think there was possibly a very vintage looking all brown version of this deck, but can't confirm this.

There's nearly always a broken off knob on the UA8, but it's usually the left hand speed change one, with a hundred folk out there looking and asking for them in the wanted section. With yours being the right hand knob that's broken and missing, you possibly stand some sort of chance of finding one. Dansette dot com once had a stock of spares for these at I think something like £30 a throw, but they sold out in a very short time and haven't had anymore since that I know of...I think they may have been remanufactured specially (I note that they now sell replacement idler wheels). The problem is that the mechanism goes solid and folk still try to turn the controls and end up snapping them off - it always happens with the UA8, so clean and lubricate first.

It's often one leg of the optx that goes o/c if someone has tried to fire it up for any length of time with the original o/p stage coupling capacitors still in place. If the player has been left untouched for decades with no attempt to "see if it works" in recent times, then the transformer may well be ok - I think there's a lot of luck in it.

I think I paid something like £20 for mine at a local auction several years ago - it would have been a fiver if I hadn't had this one annoying chap bidding against me!
Old 4th Dec 2020, 4:26 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I like the old UA6 - I think there was possibly a very vintage looking all brown version of this deck, but can't confirm this.

I think I paid something like £20 for mine at a local auction several years ago - it would have been a fiver if I hadn't had this one annoying chap bidding against me!
Yes, there was certainly a quite rare, lightish-brown version of the UA6.
Even earlier was the all-brown 1952 Monarch UA4 (UA5?), BSR's first ever 3 speed autochanger. These were used in some of the pre-production samples and were also used by some Dealers for Demo purposes. In the interest of completeness, there was also the single-player version using the Collaro AC354 3 speed deck with a plug-in pick up head. These were discontinued in 1956. Again, I could go on....and on.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 11:35 pm   #11
nicam49
Hexode

Edward, please do! Always a pleasure and an education to read your contributions. Thought of writing a book?
Closed Thread