UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2020, 11:28 am   #1
stuslayer
Tetrode

Default Question about TT channels (Trio KD 1033 issue)

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a few items to have a proper audio setup in the living room. I have a JVC JA-S310 integrated amp with phono stage, a tuner, CD player, and a Trio KD-1033 all set up. The CD player and tuner all work perfectly. I did a thorough clean of all the pots and switches on the amp and it seems to be working perfectly too.

Now, when I received the TT, it hadn't been well packed - the tonearm rest had snapped and the tonearm was free to swing around inside, clattering all over in transit. The cartridge was kaput. I changed this out for an old Shure M75ED Type 2 cartridge and 75-6S stylus. this seems to be working well, apart from a really quiet right channel.

I've gone through tonearm setup and ensured that antiskate is reasonably well set. I can balance up the channels using the amp balance, which requires the dial to be 3/4 or so the right. It does sound ok, but I would rather have it working properly. I checked by swapping the R/L phono cables, and the problem switches speakers, so I'm confident the TT is the issue, not the amp.

I notice that the cartridge pins in the tone arm have a fair amount of play - is that normal?

I have a brand new AT3600L cartridge, stylus and headshell coming so I can test whether its a cartridge issue. I've also had a good look at the cartridge wiring and that all looks to be right.

My question is, if it is the tonearm wiring or pins that is at fault, how easy is this to fix, or should I be on fhe lookout for a replacement? given the sound is only quiet, not lost completely or distorted, am I looking in fhe right place?

Any help or guidance here would be very much appreciated - I have already developed a soft spot for this TT, given what it went through. Everything else on it is fine, I repaired the broken tonearm rest and she sounds really nice, apart from the channel imbalance.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 11:40 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Question about TT channels (Trio KD 1033 issue)

A drop in level without anything else wrong would point me at the cartridge in the first instance. You could try swapping the channels over at the cartridge and see how the imbalance behaves. They're nice turntables, those Trios, so worth some trouble to get right.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 12:27 pm   #3
stuslayer
Tetrode

Thats my hope too. It would be the easiest solution!
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 12:32 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thr new cartridge should play just fine. But if not, you could also check for any resistance/improper continuity on the tone arm wiring. I would always insist that an Online seller should always remove the platter and clamp the tonearm, but surprisingly few do this without prompting!
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 1:26 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I would always insist that an Online seller should always remove the platter and clamp the tonearm, but surprisingly few do this without prompting!
This is one of those rare occasions when I have sympathy with someone not removing the platter. I once owned a KD1033 and the platter is an absolute devil to remove as it's an interference fit. It really can take some considerable force to shift it.

Alan
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 1:44 pm   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

I think it's acceptable to leave a lightweight platter attached, but ensure the belt is
disengaged from the motor pulley. If the platter is loose push a rubber grommet over
the centre spindle to discourage movement. Arm should be secured as should any
counterbalance weight attached by a thin line (the latter could be detached)
I enjoyed my KD-1033 for years, I gave it to my local record shop when I got a Technics.
The arm was common to a few Kenwood/trio models.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 6:06 pm   #7
stuslayer
Tetrode

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, everything else was done right - the platter was removed and packed separately, the antiskate weight and belt were bagged up - it was the lack of any packing inside the dust cover that killed the tonearm rest. Once the rest snapped it left the arm free to fly around inside the package, smashing into the spindle and I suspect this is what did for the original cartridge - this is why I'm worried it may have also impacted the tonearm wiring/pins. I'll know when I get the new cartridge.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 6:28 pm   #8
Trevor
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuslayer View Post
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, everything else was done right - the platter was removed and packed separately, the antiskate weight and belt were bagged up - it was the lack of any packing inside the dust cover that killed the tonearm rest. Once the rest snapped it left the arm free to fly around inside the package, smashing into the spindle and I suspect this is what did for the original cartridge - this is why I'm worried it may have also impacted the tonearm wiring/pins. I'll know when I get the new cartridge.
just swap the left right channels over in the cartridge head shells if the fault moves over its the cartridge if it stays on the same side it the arm / wiring
You could measure the resistance as well but you may damage the pickup by magnetising it
Trev
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 6:32 pm   #9
stuslayer
Tetrode

Quote:
just swap the left right channels over in the cartridge head shells if the fault moves over its the cartridge if it stays on the same side it the arm / wiring
You could measure the resistance as well but you may damage the pickup by magnetising it
Trev
I'd be worried about damaging the leads (if they aren't already) - thy are very old and the solder onto the crimp fittings looks very brittle. I've got some new leads coming too, so when they arrive I'll test them out on the Shure cartridge - it would be nice if this cartridge is fine, and it's just the leads that's the issue...
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 9:45 pm   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Out of interest how did the arm smash into the spindle if the platter was packed separately? Also something must of clouted the arm rest with some force to cause it to break. All a bit odd to my mind but irrelevant now I suppose as the damage has been done.

Alan
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 10:28 pm   #11
stuslayer
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
Out of interest how did the arm smash into the spindle if the platter was packed separately? Also something must of clouted the arm rest with some force to cause it to break. All a bit odd to my mind but irrelevant now I suppose as the damage has been done.

Alan
Not sure, but this was what it looked like when I got it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_200536.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	221801  
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 10:44 pm   #12
stuslayer
Tetrode

And the platter fits on over the spindle which is attached to the deck. I'm not sure of the terminology. basically the spinny aluminium plate comes off but the sticky up bit (spindle?) is still attached.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 10:55 pm   #13
ajgriff
Nonode

Yes, I'd forgotten that the platter fits around the spindle so I see what you mean. I notice that the arm was wired to the rest which is normally a sensible precaution. What a shame. Good luck with your endeavours.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2020, 1:55 pm   #14
stuslayer
Tetrode

So the new cartridge has cured the channel issue, which is a good result to me. I will still test the leads on the old cartridge and see if I can resurrect it with new leads, but either way I have a fully working turntable now! Thanks for your advice guys
Closed Thread