UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:59 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Is it just me?

And the ones asking questions spread over several different fora and losing track of who said what and where...

It's quite difficult taking a photo of a knob you don't have if the set doesn't have another the same. RM's absolute ban on posting pictures etc doesn't help.

David
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:21 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It's quite difficult taking a photo of a knob you don't have if the set doesn't have another the same. RM's absolute ban on posting pictures etc doesn't help.

David
Indeed, but a google of the model usually provides a photo of the set that isn't from RM. In any case, you can crop photos to show just the knobs.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:27 pm   #23
Tractionist
Heptode

I think that the common thread running through this OP's observation is that: it's our 'natural instinct' to try to help (certainly that's always been my consistent experience on this forum). However, some posters requiring assistance are very inexperienced and certain others may lack basic virtues e.g. common courtesy etc.

But - imagine what life is like for the Mods eh? The Mod Team are charged with reviewing many more posts than us 'users/contributors' - to my mind they have the patience of Job: hats off to em' !!
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:37 pm   #24
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I have been waiting for a thread such as this to express a couple of things. The first one has been dealt with, and is why don't OPs include a couple of pictures, one being the general apearence of the set in question?

The other niggle I have is this. As a matter of courtesy, the moderators will close a thread at the request of the OP, and I'm not suggesting that should change.
But it's usually the same members that request this when their issue is resolved, but it's often frustrating when you feel you have a further useful contribution to add.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:50 pm   #25
Station X

You can always ask for a thread to be reopened by clicking on the red warning triangle. In fact we prefer members to do this rather than start a new thread which we often have to merge with the original.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 1:47 pm   #26
WaveyDipole
Nonode

For what its worth, I have found the "Search" feature on the menu bar seems to be pretty poor and returns lots of irrelevent results, BUT the search box at the top of the page above the "Search this website" button works quite well and is far quicker and results are much more foucssed. Once can also do something like this:

site:www.vintage-radio.net AVO two-part tester

This is also pretty fast and works for any site. All one has to do is to specifty the domain and search parameters e.g.:

site:www.eevblog.com Rigol 1054Z

Unfortunately one tends to see the same problems as discussed above on other forums so its not unique to this one.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:05 pm   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
You can always ask for a thread to be reopened by clicking on the red warning triangle. In fact we prefer members to do this rather than start a new thread which we often have to merge with the original.

Ordinarily yes, but I would be reluctant to request a thread be reopened only hours after it was closed at the request of the OP
After all, there may have been a good reason for the OP requesting the closure, but I suspect in most cases it's a small number of members who request closure of a normal thread as, they would on a for sale ot wanted thread where different rules apply.

I would suggest that anyone who recognises themselves as doing this considers letting the thread to run its course naturally.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:09 pm   #28
mark_in_manc
Octode

Different fora have different cultures - this one is tightly moderated and very polite, aspects I appreciate. This thread is a timely reminder to me, to mind my Ps and Qs
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:16 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G3ZVT View Post
but I would be reluctant to request a thread be reopened only hours after it was closed at the request of the OP
The mods would much rather have this than the alternative.

Sometimes we've had rogue posters bouncing all over the forum starting new threads wherever they land. Now summon up a metal image of a group of mods hunting in a pack trying to catch all the posts and threads and try to organise them into something which would not leave a reader seasick. It's a lot of work and easy to make mistakes, so you have to try to check it all makes sense in the end.

We've ordered a time-machine, but they're on back-order due to unforseen demand.

David
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:36 pm   #30
Cobaltblue

Quote:

Ordinarily yes, but I would be reluctant to request a thread be reopened only hours after it was closed at the request of the OP
After all, there may have been a good reason for the OP requesting the closure, but I suspect in most cases it's a small number of members who request closure of a normal thread as, they would on a for sale ot wanted thread where different rules apply.

I would suggest that anyone who recognises themselves as doing this considers letting the thread to run its course naturally.
We rarely see members asking for normal thread closures. When we do it's usually for a good reason such as the restro being shelved or they have a satisfactory outcome and don't see any reason to engage in a done and dusted thread.
Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Feb 2024, 2:54 pm   #31
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post

On the other side of the coin I think that when an OP has requested a thread to be closed after the original issue has been addressed, it shows consideration on their part as further posters may feel they are making a contribution but are going to subsequently feel annoyed if the OP then doesn't respond.

It seems better that a thread is closed.

This doesn't apply to general chat type threads, though they are the ones that get closed for swerving off topic anyhow.

In the case of post and run merchants, or the people who can't be bothered to do their own research, they can usually be spotted. It's up to the individual to answer or ignore: I've had several repair issues since joining here, but have found the stickies and historic threads, (where I've found them!), to be almost always the provider of the answers.

It's the person standing on the doorstep telling you that you're going to fix their telly, and how much you're going to charge, because their mate heard that you do it on the side for a few quid that boils my urine.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 3:08 pm   #32
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Thanks for all the replies. I hesitate to say I am pleased though, as that might imply I am pleased others may be suffering!
This is my first chance back on forum as the lock mechanism on our upvc front door broke yesterday and is a right pain to fix, but I don't give up easily!
Yes, I agree the best way is to just move on. The replies I have occasionally given that do help and are appreciated far outweigh the annoyances. I certainly would never want to abandon this forum as there are so many great people out there willing to share their wealth of knowledge frely to help others.

Rob
Old 12th Feb 2024, 3:50 pm   #33
Richardgr
Heptode

So many times recently I have missed the 'thumbs up!' button next to a valuable reply. I have been a bit spoilt by the revamped diyAudio site, I suppose.
However, I think if we were able to reward the great replies, it would help defuse the feelings after an apathetic response, or add a bit of gravitas to particularly crucial input.

After all, you can lead a horse to the soldering iron, but ...
Old 12th Feb 2024, 4:13 pm   #34
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
For what its worth, I have found the "Search" feature on the menu bar seems to be pretty poor and returns lots of irrelevent results...
It does if you give it more than one search criterion because it returns everything containing any of them rather than only giving you results containing all of them. If the search can be restricted to a single word, I find it works fine.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 4:34 pm   #35
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
So many times recently I have missed the 'thumbs up!' button next to a valuable reply. I have been a bit spoilt by the revamped diyAudio site, I suppose.
However, I think if we were able to reward the great replies, it would help defuse the feelings after an apathetic response, or add a bit of gravitas to particularly crucial input.

After all, you can lead a horse to the soldering iron, but ...
I think the thumbs up button would be a great idea...if it is possible on this forum platform.

I have followed this thread with interest and I will confess I have been guilty of a few unintentional blunders. I try and illustrate my topics /threads with plenty of relevant images and historical observations as we are all creating a priceless historical archive of knowledge.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:03 pm   #36
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton_mallard View Post
I think the thumbs up button would be a great idea...if it is possible on this forum platform

It's good here
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:31 pm   #37
Cobaltblue

We've had this discussion several times before.

There will not be a like button.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Feb 2024, 7:35 pm   #38
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post

Cheers

Mike T
I can totally understand this policy; in other fora I've seen the like/dislike thing degenerate into favouritism-wars.

Let's keep it friendly rather than a bidding-war for faves/downfaves.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 10:20 pm   #39
Richardgr
Heptode

I never mentioned a thumbs down, or keeping a running total; just a thumbs up in recognition of good advice.
Old 12th Feb 2024, 11:25 pm   #40
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post

Cheers
Another forum gets around the particularities of having a like button, by having a thanks button. The forum on rmorg takes it to another level by having a rating system. If it is ever considered here, I think the thanks button would be nice to have.

I agree on the usability or lack thereof of the search function. I suspect some standard vBulletin plugin might be better at it than the current Google implementation.

I'll keep in mind that it's perfectly fine to request reopening of a thread. I tend to rather not add something that might be useful to the OP or especially to future readers, if a thread is already closed.
Closed Thread