UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2018, 11:39 am   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Anchor Supplies Nottingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Sad news, Anchor Supplies has been destroyed by fire.
Just to be clear, Anchor Supplies hasn't been destroyed by fire - only its Meadow Lane Nottingham Branch (AKA 'The Barracks'). Devastating though that is, Anchor Supplies is still very much in business at its Ripley depot, north of Nottingham, which is open seven days a week. The website for internet orders (or by phone) is also unaffected. I'd reiterate that you can take a 'virtual tour' of the Ripley Depot here:

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/virtualtour

Not much of the ex military stuff they have these days is of interest to us - nothing much in the way of communications or electronics, but if you're in the market for an ex nuclear submarine pocket watch (£450), an arctic or desert bell tent, camouflage nets, or a 12 ft high inflatable Royal Marine figure complete with blower and guy ropes (£500) to stop it floating away, then yes, Anchor Supplies is the place to be.

You couldn't make it up.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 3:12 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Fire at Anchor Surplus, Nottingham old cattle market

What have I bought from Anchor over the years?

Redifon GK203 HF transmitter, multimode exciter
A few HP 180 oscilloscopes and plug-ins
Wayne-Kerr standards lab grade autobalance component bridge
Marconi TF2008 sig gen (not working, tuning pointer wire jammed in pulley)
Oxy Acetylene regs and torch (Best quality BOC 2-stage with carrying case)
Various hand tools

Whenever I made foray, I always visited both branches. Ripley seemed cheaper, but the stuff I found interesting was always at the cattle market.

It was always reassuring to know where to go to buy a selection of missile casings.

David
Old 6th Nov 2018, 3:50 pm   #23
turretslug
Dekatron

A NOS Leak Troughline III mono for £7.50. Deviating, one of the most useful ever was an un-issued 1944-dated entrenching tool c/w bayonet adaptor (!), an excellent, sturdy and versatile gardening tool. Perhaps I should have left both to accumulate value unused, but I get things to use, not gather dust! Less collectable, a NOS RAF fire-axe with epoxy-bonded GRP handle with a head excellently profiled for log-splitting. A slightly care-worn but fully functional TS No.1 for £15 with a new BLR122 thrown in. Yep, nothing of huge value, but I'll rue the pyre of very browsable eclecticism.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 4:54 pm   #24
mole42uk
Nonode

When I moved from Nottingham into my off-grid house in Yorkshire I bought a Coventry-Climax powered 240V 6kVA single-phase generator, a couple of very serviceable 2kW single-phase inverters and a pallet load of alkaline rechargeable cells.... Anchor served me well on that trip!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 6th Nov 2018, 4:57 pm   #25
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
........the pyre of very browsable eclecticism.
Brilliant!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Nov 2018, 6:47 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

Remind me not to play him at Scrabble...

David
Old 10th Nov 2018, 2:03 pm   #27
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Clothing department at Nottingham now reopened.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 8:03 am   #28
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Sad news. Used to get my para boots at Anchor amongst other stuff, whilst there used to be loads of electronics in the old days, there hasn't been much there when I've been in in recent years, either at the Notts site or at Ripley.

Andy.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 12:55 pm   #29
Syrinx1
Pentode

Popped in to Anchor yesterday and was told that they do have plans to re-open the electrical and industrial dept - probably not for a few months though. Unfortunately much of the vintage NOS was destroyed, and they tell me that it is unlikely that they will be able to source significant supplies of vintage electronics moving forwards, as much of the stock they held had been in their inventory for some time - presumably sourced when their was more of it coming on to the surplus market.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:48 am   #30
nicam49
Hexode

Nottingham council have allowed Anchor to have some surplus stalls in the Victoria market, part of the Victoria shopping centre.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 4:18 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Just a suggestion but as the BVWS and others often have lots of stock to off load, would that perhaps provide a basis for negotiation with Anchor or is there a requirement/inclination to keep everything "in house"?

Dave W
BVWS Member
Old 16th Jan 2019, 4:25 pm   #32
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
Nottingham council have allowed Anchor to have some surplus stalls in the Victoria market, part of the Victoria shopping centre.
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...-after-2248054

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Jan 2019, 8:20 pm   #33
David G4EBT
Dekatron

A bit of an odd place for Anchor Supplies - the market is part of the Victoria Centre shopping mall in the centre of Nottingham. I can see how they could sell such things as ex police clothing (jumpers etc) and riot helmets (excellent for woodturners as they have shatterproof polycarbonate visors), but little of the stuff that would ordinarily interest the likes of us, and no rummaging around.

Any port in a storm I guess and clearly the Council will prefer to see the market stalls filled rather than not, but Anchor Supplies place at Ripley - about 15 miles north of Nottingham - would, I think, be a better bet for a visit than driving into the centre of Nottingham, and Ripley will have the full range of current stock. That said, I hope the Victoria Market is a success for Anchor after such an awful setback.

I originate from Nottingham and we visit the Victoria Centre maybe a couple of times a year, but ordinarily, I'd never dream of visiting the market. I will do next time, if only out of curiosity.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 11:50 pm   #34
colly0410
Pentode

Used to be able to park outside anchor on Meadow Lane but yellow line there last time I drove past, parking OK at Ripley last time I went. Got 2 pair's of cheap trainers (Hi Tech) last time I was there, SWMBO got 3 line prop's & a box of military grade washing powder...
Old 17th Jan 2019, 1:32 am   #35
wave solder
Hexode

I remember Anchor surplus back in the late '80's. The £1 bargain bags and all the vintage electronics for sale.
Closed Thread