UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2018, 1:09 pm   #81
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Don't try this at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
The fact that you cannot drink Isopropyl alcohol did not matter, all alcohol was banned but clearly Health and safety did not matter.............
I have read that drinking isopropyl alcohol can destroy one's eye-sight.

Al.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 3:50 pm   #82
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Re: Don't try this at home...

Methyl alcohol (methanol) certainly does, and in low doses. This is sometimes used to adulterate ethanol (render it undrinkable) in methylated spirits but some drink it anyway, even with the risk to sight. I think that IPA is less poisonous and was even used as an anaesthetic, rather like ether and particularly for animals, many years ago. Still, never drink it !
Old 24th Oct 2018, 6:04 pm   #83
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Do you think it's about time I sent this lot to landfill? These bottles, most with contents have been on top of my bathroom cabinet since 1897. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet..jpg
Views:	241
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	171490  
Old 24th Oct 2018, 6:26 pm   #84
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Museum of Brands might be interested in those? Or a museum of Dr. Crippen, if one exists!
Rob
Old 24th Oct 2018, 6:35 pm   #85
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Certainly, it would be a great shame if these were to end up in landfill. It would probably be illegal anyway on pollution grounds.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 7:04 pm   #86
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Wink Re: Don't try this at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These bottles, most with contents, have been on top of my bathroom cabinet since 1897.
John.
In your house since 1897? Good heavens, John! I never took you be that old!

Al.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 8:18 pm   #87
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I think if you put them into landfill, all the tomatoes growing above that lot would all turn blue

Christopher Capener
Old 25th Oct 2018, 7:55 am   #88
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Some local authorities, including in my area, are now incinerating and recovering energy from all waste that used to go to landfill. I was surprised the other day when I took several tins of old paint to my local tip. When I asked where to deposit it, the chap said “In the ‘landfill’ skip, mate - it all gets incinerated now.”

Most of us are probably unaware of the capability of modern energy-from-waste incinerators.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 25th Oct 2018, 3:57 pm   #89
Refugee
Dekatron

The rubbish power station at Newhaven pumped out a load of fumes that went out to sea and got pushed back in land at Seaford by a fog bank a couple of years ago.
It kicked up quite a stink.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 4:21 pm   #90

The medical museum at Reading hospital might like a few.

Old 25th Oct 2018, 10:40 pm   #91
FrankB
Heptode

I was cleaning up a storage cabinet about 5 years ago and found my can of "welding flux compound" for forge welding. (Yeah, I have a full blacksmiths shop in storage).
I looked at the ingredients, as the can had drawn moisture, and the cardboard was disintegrating. Potassium Cyanide immediately jumped out at me. Into a sealed container & delivered tot he local Hazo House for safe disposal.
I used Carbon Tet, aka Carbona to find the watermarks on my postage stamps. Unavailable here now.
Carbon Tet was also used in fire extinguishers that had a lead seal that would melt allowing a spring loaded nail to puncture the glass vessel. Back in the 70' s , when I worked for L&I Safety Division, they fined anyone that had those extinguishers because of the danger of Phosgene when it was heated to vapor. The latest and greatest then was Halon for putting out fires. Now that is almost banned, because you can't breathe in it, it displaces oxygen.

The U.S. has really become a "Nanny State" in many areas. No credit is given for common sense. (Darwin's theory of species selection isn't good enough anymore here?).

I use Mercury to process fine gold, but have yet to build a safe retort to remove the gold. It sits in a tightly sealed container covered with water until then. I didn't fall off the turnip truck today. It was yesterday.
Some things are over blown in their level of danger. The knee jerk reaction.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:07 pm   #92
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
The U.S. has really become a "Nanny State" in many areas. No credit is given for common sense. (Darwin's theory of species selection isn't good enough anymore here?)
I think it's the same in most advanced countries, Frank. Common sense, however, has become virtually non-existent, and no civilised society can assume it exists because the overwhelming evidence suggests that someone will try anything, some day, no matter how stupid or ridiculous it seems to the rest of us. People have to be protected from themselves.

Anyway, don't the majority of Americans believe in creation, and reject evolutionary theory?!

Actually, we can all do silly things without thinking. Today I spent a couple of hours removing some paint from an old metal lamp using a rotary sander. It was only hours later that I suddenly thought that it may have been old enough to contain lead. Oh well, I was working outdoors... too late to worry now, I suppose

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Oct 2018, 12:37 am   #93
AC/HL
Dekatron

And on that note, time to evolve this thread to closed.
Closed Thread