UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2018, 12:47 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Vintage Siemens Hearing Aid

Just wondering - has anyone attempted the repair/rejuvenation of an ACOS 1 3/4"(43mm) dia crystal mic insert. As described in the April Edition 2007 Page 19 of the VMARS Signal Magazine ? (Steve Ward GW1 XVC)
I've had a shot of an old one which only produced 50 - 100mV P-P on my scope, with a hefty whistle. Now gives approx. 200mV.What a lot of delicate diss-assembly. Found that the approx. 1cm sq of crystal had become un-attached from the casing. Re-glued with superglue.
I'm hesitant to pdf copy the article here, don't want to upset VMARS.
Steve Ward's mic was a Type 43, but my old thing was just stamped ACOS & MIC above the logo. He achieved 600mV, but his mic looked a bit newer than mine.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACOS Mic Repair.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	174514  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 6:06 pm   #2
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: ACOS Crystal Microphone

I have a mic insert labelled ACOS MIC 43 which is crystal. I have never used it (or had to repair it), but I just tested it and got similar results to Steve. I must admit though that testing is a bit variable with whistles. I used my sig gen with a receiver producing the whistle
Old 18th Dec 2018, 6:01 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Vintage Siemens Hearing Aid

Following on from my thread post "ACOS Crystal Microphone" on 13th Dec.(Which possibly Moderators might like to combine into this new thread ? Please), thought I'd give more info as to why I needed to repair the ACOS mic in the first place.
Back in 1959 someone gave me an old external battery powered lapel button mounted working bakelite hearing aid, as I had just started to become interested in things radio/electronic as a schoolboy. Many years ago the original two carbon mic inserts became u/s. I've just recently re-discovered this wee gem in an old box.
A VMARS chum gave me the ACOS, plus advice that a cheapo wee LM386 minute chip circuit board(less than a tenner from Hong Kong) would handle the i/p & o/p impedances, and leave room for making my own 12V button cell pack. All done, but not much volume out of the old earpiece or a modern plastic one.
The hearing Aid was made by Siemens & Halske AG of Berlin. Internet research reveals that their original "Double Microphone" one - the "Phonophor" came out in 1913, and a later version - the M22 came out in 1925. This one of mine I reckon is from the 1930's, but I'm open to more informed advice. The ACOS fits superbly at one end, and the vacant mic space left takes the LM386 & the homemade 12V battery. Just a novelty project, but I must admit that I'm out of my comfort zone with micro-electronics. I had intended building just a simple OC71 friendly miniature veroboard AF amp, but my chum reckons I should wake up to 21st century technology.
Any vintage audiologists out there ? Its approx. 3" x 6" x 5/8" thick - - i-phone size.

Regards, David

PS Attn "ionburn"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens & Halske (a).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	174852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens & Halske (b).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	174853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens & Halske (c).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	174854  

Last edited by David Simpson; 18th Dec 2018 at 6:05 pm. Reason: Add'l info
Old 19th Dec 2018, 10:49 am   #4
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Siemens Hearing Aid

I see the reason for the completely different microphone now. I have some circuit diagrams around for (I think Mullard) circuits for hearing aids from the Germanium transitor era (OC57 -> 60), but nothing of that age, and no experience of carbon microphones. With modern microcircuits almost anything could be fitted in a case that size.
Closed Thread