UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 9th Dec 2018, 12:05 pm   #21
terrykc
Hexode

Default Re: Marina Bambi Pocket Radio

Those blue electrolytics look like Philips (Mullard) to me. Very reliable, in my experience.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 9:20 pm   #22
Backtoreality
Tetrode

I've replaced the blown electrolytic and one of the other blue ones, a Daly 25uF, which was way out of spec with very high v loss and esr. The other electrolytic is, I think, a Philips. I removed it for testing and all readings were spot on! I decided to power it up with a PP3 and after a bit of twiddling it started to work but very, very quietly. I have checked one of the resistors which read 50% higher than it should so my next step is to check all of the others. Flexing the pcb produces a crackle and go, no go, so there may be a dry joint or two somewhere. There are also a couple of Wima 0.1uF polystyrene ? capacitors but I'm not sure about their condition.
David
Backtoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2018, 12:29 pm   #23
terrykc
Hexode

There is what most people used to refer to as a Sufflex (although a lot of them weren't!) cap across the back of the tuning gang that is polystyrene but those 0.1uF caps will probably be polyester or something similar.

Although the dark brown Wima caps, widely used in Grundig tape recorders in the 50s had a terrible reputation, the entire range of caps they produced in the 60s had improved immeasurably, so those are unlikely to be a problem.