UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2020, 5:05 pm   #141
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: My first foray into Old model TV repairs. Ferguson 991T.

OK, I didn't recon on the metal adjusters. I wonder if you pushed the can clip off whether you could pull the whole can, adjuster and core off the top of the coil former?

Peter
Old 18th Oct 2020, 5:23 pm   #142
AdrianH
Octode

I needed to get to the two caps in the line sync discriminator can, to do that, I had to unsolder the connections to the can, undo the two screws underneath to remove it. Bend out tabs, then I had to squeeze in tabs on the top of the adjuster metal to allow the can to be withdrawn. I never removed the metal clip but assume looking at the small divots in it, it has sections formed into the tube to hold it in place.

Think it would be easiest to remove the can from chassis first otherwise I am trying to work around components and the tube. But for now it is working,. I offered up the back panel now it is flat and thin found it has shrunk! The holes for the screws do not line up with the holes in the cabinet, not by a lot out so will see what I can do for that soon.

Adrian
Old 10th Mar 2021, 1:37 pm   #143
AdrianH
Octode

Just coming back to this thread, one of the issues I had was lack of a mains plug, or for that matter any old style 5 amp or 2 amp plug sockets to be modified and the thought of spending over £20 to get the odd socket from a site did not appeal.

But I recently obtained an old 12 Volt dyno-motor from Ebay and although on the pictures of the unit I never took notice of the two 5 amp sockets fitted. So with a bit of lathe work and the correct size drill I hope to have a suitable mains connector soon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainconnect.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	228806
I need to get a thin slitting saw to put a slit in the tube to allow for some flex.

The main issue could well be keeping the TV, it really does not fit in with anything so it sits on the floor of the room doing not a lot, and I still have a V280 chassis to play with at some point.

Adrian

p.s. I am hoping that the new mains connector will mean it is a bit easier to use rather than removing the back panel to fit a 30 Amp chock block.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 3:17 pm   #144
mark_in_manc
Octode

I think I might slice that carefully with a junior hacksaw, rather than splashing out on a slitting saw - though I know they are not so expensive!
Old 10th Mar 2021, 4:09 pm   #145
AdrianH
Octode

I have ordered some of the Dremel type slitting saw as they are just 0.8mm thick, about the thinnest I can find.

Adrian
Old 16th Jun 2021, 3:54 pm   #146
AdrianH
Octode

As may have been seen elsewhere, I obtained some CRTs including a couple of MW36-24's one with very good emissions. So re-coated and fitted today into the TV. The picture seems to me to have much more punch to it, more contrast range and basically with a picture i could see in daylight.

Name:	fitted1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	236004

Name:	fitted2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	236005

So in my mind improvement, now if only I could sort out the ringing! Perhaps time to ask for help again.

Adrian
Closed Thread