UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:38 pm   #21
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Farnell DM131 Multimeter Thermal Probe

Out of interest I did a little research on the on that PM2524. It seems that it uses a PM9248 temperature probe. See about halfway down this page:
http://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipme...er/pm2524.html

The PM9248 is neither a thermocouple nor a P-N junction sensor, but a 'resistance thermometer':
http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...ne/USERMANUAL/
There is plenty of information about these at Wikipedia and from what I understand, they appear to be somewhat different to thermistors:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=resist...16&FORM=CHROMN

The Philips PM9248 manual does not give away much, except to provide the thermal characteristics and Philips might have loosely used the term 'resistance thermometer' to mean a thermistor, but could it have referred to an RTD? There are various classes of these devices, but there do seem to be some RTDs on eBay for around 3 quid so I was wondering whether something like this would work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Dia-Pr...cAAOSwCGVX-5EA
Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:59 pm   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

Rather interesting - thanks for the links and detail. At that price I think I'll grab one and see what happens. I've got a suitable DIN plug floating around somewhere already.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 12:58 am   #23
karesz*
Heptode

Hi Chris,
I think a PT100 should work too, but I belive:you must corrigate its values (look up table) than these metallic sensor has some different temp characteristic as NiCd, the original. Btw; I can not find such NiCd res-tem characteristic on the NET...
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PM9248_NiCd-Resistance_TempProbe-for-PM2524.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	134324  
Old 13th Dec 2016, 1:26 am   #24
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The original resistance thermometers date back a very long way and consisted of metal, often platinum, wire-wound sensors, and hence the common standard ‘PT100’. These gave a near-linear response (so they were relatively easy to use even in pre-microchip times) and they are very accurate and stable. Thermistors came along later, and although they do change resistance, they do so in a non-linear way and present much higher resistance values than the wire-wound sensors and there are many different specs. I think it's true to say that thermistors occupy the cheap and cheerful end of the market compared with platinum resistance sensors.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 7:54 am   #25
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by karesz* View Post
I think a PT100 should work too, but I belive:you must corrigate its values (look up table) than these metallic sensor has some different temp characteristic as NiCd, the original. Btw; I can not find such NiCd res-tem characteristic on the NET...
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. I've ordered one. Let's see what happens. Will post back in a month when it gets here
Old 13th Dec 2016, 8:24 am   #26
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

My DMM from Clarke came with a wire thermocouple, the meter on its own reads ambient temperature so that's the low reference bit I assume.
Not a bad meter for the money, does transistors, diodes, capacitors, temperature, dBs, 10A AC & DC, resistance, continuity, volts to 750 and its in a plastic shoe for rough handling. Had it years and its still accurate.
Old 13th Dec 2016, 9:39 am   #27
karesz*
Heptode

Chris,
Teks P6430 Temp Probe for, ie, 475-DM44 has very similar specs, I thank it must be a same Resistance sensor, but it has an transistor-junction inside
Karl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Teks P6430 Temp Probe for 475DM44.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	134325  
Old 13th Dec 2016, 6:13 pm   #28
karesz*
Heptode

Chris,
I found yet full ramdonly some description & discussion over PM9249, a PT100 TempProbe for PM2522A. we can read too, that hes connector will be multifunctionally used...
Regards, Karl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PM9249, 4-wire PT100 TempProbe for PM2522A.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	134340  

Last edited by karesz*; 13th Dec 2016 at 6:21 pm.
Closed Thread