UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2011, 2:14 pm   #1
richardh
Retired Dormant Member

Default Is a Quad FM mono valve tuner compatible with a Quad 33 pre amp ?

Hello,
Please can someone tell me if the older Quad Mono FM valve tuner ( ie with slightly rounded casing ) can be safely connected to a Quad 33 pre amp?

Can I power the radio via the Mains out lead from the pre amp?

If this is possible I will have to change the mains plug on the Quad valve tuner; where can I find one of these plugs? or can I put a standard plug onto the Quad valve tuner power lead?

I am deciding whether to buy one of these older Quad tuners or the later Quad FM2 Valve tuner.

At the moment I have a Leak Troughline Stereo tuner which is wonderful, but the factory fitted stereo decoder needs changing as there is a low background hum when stereo is selected and disappears when it is switched back to mono. So I presume it is not a transformer hum that is the problem, any thoughts?

The other items in my set up are Quad 33 pre amp restored, Quad 405 power amp restored and a Thorens 150 turntable with a 1970's Shure cartridge and a new home milled stylus from the USA.

This all runs to some late ish Quad ESL57 's through 'bright' solid silver speaker cable.

It would be good to hear from anyone with advice about the Tuners.

Thank you,

Richard.
Old 5th Nov 2011, 3:57 pm   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Is a Quad FM mono valve tuner compatible with a Quad 33 pre amp ?

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately for what you are contemplating, the Quad valve FM tuner is powered from the valve Quad II preamp, which in turn is powered from the valve Quad II power amp.

Unlike the later Quad FM and AM tuners it is NOT a stand-alone unit with its own built in power supply.
Old 5th Nov 2011, 5:52 pm   #3
Jac
Heptode

The FM2 basically is an FM1 with internal power supply.
Since the FM2 already has the styling of the 33, may I suggest that you might consider buying an FM3 in stead?

Jac
Old 5th Nov 2011, 11:36 pm   #4
theoldtrout
Hexode

Hi Richard, If you really want to use the Quad tuner you could run it from a separate power supply, 300Vdc for the HT and 6.3Vac for the heaters - but probably not worth the rouble.

Re your Leak tuner. Have you tried removing the ground connection from just one of the phono plugs. You may have an earth loop.
Old 7th Nov 2011, 10:46 am   #5
roffe
Hexode

That's what I did-I built a separate power supply for the old Quad AM and FM tuners,so I could run them without being dependant of the Quad II.Works fine.And I love the looks of these old tuners!

I also have a Quad 2 FM tuner connected to the 33 and 303,mainly because it has a stereo decoder.
Closed Thread