UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2009, 8:42 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Any younger collectors ?

Hi, i have a reasonable collection of vintage playback formats, i have 3 CED players, 2 PAL and one NTSC and over 60 discs, i also have 2 V2000 players, a VTC5000 Betamax and finally a Philips N1700 (this being the only non functioning of the collection), i also have a Grundig CUC 220 Tv set (currently non working) and a portable JVC set (red in colour) i am unsure of the model, being 19 i was wondering if there is anyone else nearer to my age that also has any of the above formats ?, Many Thanks, Andy
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 8:40 pm   #2
The_Archiver
Pentode

Default Re: Any younger collectors ?

Hi Andy. Not sure if the age of 33 is near 19 or not these days (!), but I have the big brother of your Sanyo Betacord machine (the VTC5150), and [also] a non-working Philips N1702 (with hopefully an N1700 on the way, unsure if working or not though). Am considering trying to obtain a V2000 machine too sometime in the near future, and start a collection of old tapes for that format. It's the discovery of old (and sometimes rare) footage on old format video tapes that is the lure for me, is that your interest also?
By the way, have you had ANY luck at all in finding the fault with your old Philips machine...?
Regards.

Phil
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 9:58 pm   #3
Electricdreams
Hexode

I'm 26 and I have 5 Video 2000 machines, Two Vr2020, ITT 580, Vr2840 and Grundig 2x4. I have a few ßetamax Machines, 2 Sony SL-C7ub with autochanger, SL-8080, SL-f1ub, SL-C9ub, BMC-100P, Toshiba V8600, SL-C6, Sanyo VTC-5150 and VTC-5000. As for VHS I have Ferguson 3v29, 3v31 and another with Long Play facility, a Pye VHS (same appearance as the last V2000 vcrs) and a JVC. (I cannot remember the model number)
Other types would be the National EIAJ Cartridge Player and JVC Umatic.

I also have a multimedia laserdisc player with IBM AT computer (which I'm considering to sell)
My pride and joy so far has to be the Grundig TV set, I cannot remember the model but since this set was given to me it never let me down.

Great picture as well!

I have some vintage computers as well but I rather not risk going off topic.

Paul
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 11:18 pm   #4
andyw25
Pentode

Hi, its good to know there are others with larger collections also, for me looking for older electronics, tapes and discs etc is partly for finding material and partly that i like understanding how older equipment operates, when i first heard of the CED format i was amazed that there were films available on a type of record, looking through cassettes for old recordings is interesting as i like alot of old telveision, my favourite being The Avengers (i have all the boxsets), ive actually discovered more of my collection tucked away, my CED players are - Hitachi VIP201P, Hitachi VIP202P, GecMcMichael V5001H and an RCA SJT100 modified to include audio/video jacks, My V2000 players are - ITT VR580, PYE 20VR20 and 2 Grundig 2x4 Super's (one non working due to split power board), I also have a Ferguson Videostar FV21R which works perfectly and a Panasonic NVG40 which has a wobbly picture, with regards to the N1700 i haven't managed to repair it yet, im still not sure of the problem, The VTC5000 is used regularly to make recordings when im at work, The JVC portable works perfectly, it used to belong to my mum and she thinks its around 28/29yrs old, its been dropped twice she says and it has never had any repairs and is still going strong. The Grundig CUC220 used to belong to my Grandfather and when he sadly passed away it was given to me by my grandmother, it was working fine until the start of this year until it broke, i believe it's the loptx as ive been told by the repair company that's mended it afew times previously. The one thing i don't yet have is a Laserdisc player, i'm hoping to get one soon, can anyone recommend a good model ?

Regards, Andy
Old 4th Oct 2009, 2:52 am   #5
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw25 View Post
The one thing i don't yet have is a Laserdisc player, i'm hoping to get one soon, can anyone recommend a good model ?
Hi Andy,

I mainly collect vintage VCR's (200 or so) but now also have a small collection of vintage TV (11) Philips G8, G11, Bradford and as far as Laser disc players go i have the Philips VLP600, which I think is THE one to collect, that said beware of low power laser's (like mine) this manifests itself by the machine speeding up then slowing down when a disc is inserted and no pic.

Often you will see these advertised as "no way to test but worked last time it was used" This sort of thing usually means faulty!

Good luck.
Old 4th Oct 2009, 5:48 pm   #6
andyw25
Pentode

Hi, here are afew pictures of some of my items, The V5001H has had the top of the cabinet repainted in silver by myself using plastic primer and silver spraypaint as it was badly scratched.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 308272727_o.zip (1.49 MB, 194 views)
Old 4th Oct 2009, 11:52 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw25 View Post
The Grundig CUC220 used to belong to my Grandfather and when he sadly passed away it was given to me by my grandmother, it was working fine until the start of this year until it broke, i believe it's the loptx as ive been told by the repair company that's mended it afew times previously. y
I have that same set, same problem as you. I replaced the tripler on it not long ago, (search for the thread for the part references etc.) You can still get them for very little money from hrdiemen. Anyway, if you want to pursue this further please start a new thread in the tv section so we don't go OT!
Old 4th Oct 2009, 11:52 pm   #8
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Hi im 26 and have 3 laserdisc player among loads of other vintage gear to numerous to list! latest edition being a Ekco TV TCG316, i have something like 90 laserdiscs and a few box sets. if a film is pre 2000 then i get in on laserdisc as i just think they are great especially some of the art work. i have 2 dvd laserdisc combos but i recommend getting a late 90s laserdisc player only model as they have better playback quality they tended to get a bit cheap and nasty when they put the dvd players in.
Old 5th Oct 2009, 6:06 pm   #9
Laurdys
Pentode

well i dont collect video tapes or other playback equipment but i do have a few radios and a tv. i think i'm closest in age at 18
Old 9th Oct 2009, 7:49 pm   #10
HMV 1120
Hexode

I'll be 18 in six days ^^

Military/valve Radio sets and infernal vinyl frisbees only at this end though.
Robs
Old 21st Jan 2010, 12:07 pm   #11
2ombieboy
Pentode

Hi, I would say I'm fairly young at the tender age of 26 but I started collecting at around 20. I currently collect obsolete video formats and classic computer games, Ataris and the like. I have 3 laserdisc players, 2 CED players, 1 RCA SFT100 in near mint condition and a Hitachi VIP201P that works but I am restoring.

Alan
Old 1st Mar 2010, 10:43 pm   #12
felix1983
Triode

hi ive just turned 27 lol but ive been colecting/repairing since i was 13 mainly old hifi seperates and obsolete formats but now have a colection of video players building to.

so far up to 4 betamax machines that im restoring (sony c7 & c6,sanyo VTC-5000 and my pride of the colection the sony c9!)

on the audio side i have a philips DCC-900 dcc deck, rotel rt-900 turntable Philips valve driven reel 2 reel of wich i cant remember the model number off hand! some 1970's pioneer seperates some "mystery" speakers that i think may be kef's date stamped 1976 few old valve record players of various descriptions...

the list goes on really im going to need a house just for my "toys" soon il try and get some pics of them all and upload them altho been having to have a bit of a clear out recently

jay
Old 1st Mar 2010, 10:46 pm   #13
Fool2cool
Pentode

Not video tapes but i collect vintage test equipment and im 18.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:17 am   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thats all good news folks,i started at 11 by swopping a windup gramophone for a homemade xtal set.On the bus home with it an elderly gent saw it and gave me several components and a pair of "Dr Nesper Berlin" headphones and still have these 50+ years later.

David
Old 5th Mar 2010, 10:06 pm   #15
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

I'm 30 years old now, my interest in electronics began when i was barely able to walk, at first i mainly dismantled and examined (and destroyed) anything that came my way, then, when i was about 10 years old, i began to repair and collect stuff.

I'm quite a hoarder and got to a point where i need to stop taking home more stuff and i'm now trying to salvage the few useful bits from junky stuff like old TV boards, mangled car stereos and so on, and then throw out the rest.

To make things worse, i'm also collecting old mule and draft horse equipment like old collars, pack saddles and the like!
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 4:28 am   #16
AidanLunn
Heptode

My interest in collecting old 70s and 80s electronics has been around me for quite a while but i didn't start actually collecting until fairly recently! And I'm only 19!

TVs (all 14" colour portables with manual tuner presets)

1x 1982-ish Grundig CUC95 (needs work to the tuner as "1" drifts off frequency every time I press it)

1x 1984 Philips CT2006 (again, needs tuner cleaning, this time because whenever i touch the button of the channel that is already selected, there is a certain amount of noise on the screen - if this is not a fault and is normal for this model then please tell me)

1x 1986 Pye 14CF1014/05R (been fully overhauled but never really liked this one as much as the other two)

VCRs:

1x 1981 Sanyo VTC5150 (needs attention to a dry joint on the board to the right of the heads - constant video noise which changes pattern every time this board is tapped with the hard plastic handle of a cheap screwdriver)

1x 1984 Ferguson 3V43

1x 1984/85 Ferguson 3V45

1x 1985 JVC HRD-170

1x 1985 Ferguson 3V65 (needs new head motor as the current one doesn't spin quite fast enough - anyone got one?)

1x 1990-ish Pye 20DV1 that needs new pinch roller - due to time and shortage of money i've decided to offer this one up for sale. Anyone interested? needs new "charly" pinch roller)

1x 1996 Samsung SV203B - never liked this mid-90s piece of poo. pinch roller starting to give way as the sound side of some VHS tapes are slightly nibbled. Heads bound to be worn as tape is constantly threaded up and was used heavily by grandparents before they decided to get a LG DVD/VCR combi along with Sky+ and a Grundig widescreen colour TV (I advised them to go Grundig for their next TV after a rubbishy 21" Samsung bought at the same time as the Samsung VCR. the TV is still surviving though, and with a 1988-ish Hitachi VCR and a Freeview box are currently serving as the in-caravan entertainment at their caravan on Anglesey)) Also for sale - PM me if interested in either or both the Pye or Samsung. They will both make brilliant RF modulators as both have 1 SCART - both better than an RF modulator from Maplins!!!
Old 16th Jul 2010, 2:49 pm   #17
lewisvcrfetish
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

I'm 25 and have a fairly elaborate collection of vintage VCR's, radios and ghettoblasters. Some sadly don't work, so is there anyone out there in the Essex area who can fix my gear? If so, this would be great.

Thanks,
Lewis.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 16th Jul 2010 at 4:30 pm. Reason: Upgraded.
Old 8th Aug 2015, 1:52 am   #18
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hello! I'm 19 and I have these VCRs:

Beta:
Sanyo VTC 9350 (1978)
Sanyo VTC 5000 (1982)
Sony SL-T30ME (1983)
Fisher VBR-330 with camera (1982)

VHS:
National Panasonic NV-7500EM (1981)
Hitachi VT-8E (1984)
National Panasonic NV-G10EM (1986)
Mitsubishi HS-337EZ (1986)
Panasonic NV-FS200EG (1991)
Old 11th Aug 2015, 2:15 pm   #19
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

I'm 30 now, but have been interested in vintage things, including electrical items since I was about 16. Mostly back then I bought vintage computers and games consoles, although at the time things like the BBC micro and C64 were considered obsolete computers more than anything, and the interest they get now is quite different. I liked them because they were fun to play with and were easily found at the car boot sales for very little money. I now have various other vintage things, like kitchen appliances, TVs and record players, but none in sufficient numbers to consider them a collection. Most are used every week, some daily, so they're more for use than collecting.
Old 14th Aug 2015, 2:36 am   #20
Redders03
Pentode

Currently 19 and have collected from a young age.

Thinking about it, my interest first appeared when I discovered my late grandfathers Sony SL-C9 (Beta) though would have been around 7 years of age.

The faults to tackle were a faulty DC to DC Converter, unfortunately at that age I neither had the tools or talent to fix it.
However that didn't stop me writing to Sony and asking for a replacement, (I still have the reply letter).
I was eventually directed to the audio centre in croydon, the adventure to fix the issues stopped there after a quote was provided, from what I remember it was around £700. After all of that, received another C9 about two years ago, within 45 mins DC to DC converter fixed.

Since then my collection has grown since to currently whats listed below (from memory)

I mainly collect and buy/sell Reel to Reel and Betamax, totally a hobby but repair and sell in some cases to support university in my spare time.

Betamax
Sony SL-C9
Sony SL-HF950
Sony SL-HF100 x2 (one for parts)

(Reel to Reel)
Sony TC-377
Sony TC-755
Sony TC-766-2
Sony TC-630
Sony TC-510-2
Revox A77 HS

VHS
Ferguson 3v43 x2 (one for parts)

Variety of test gear

The list could go on and on.

Wow just realised in the process of writing this maybe I should cut down !

Cheers

Last edited by Redders03; 14th Aug 2015 at 3:00 am.
Closed Thread